Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I don't use wi-fi very often (once a week?) and I'm experiencing these issues.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I found that the tip to open the messaging, email and phone apps after restart seems to work. My guess is as someone said - some background items aren't loading upon restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by toburg View Post
    Do any of you ever have your WI-FI on? I've noticed on days I don't turn on my WI-FI, I'm fine. On days that I use it (until I do a restart) I have these notification issues. I think there is a bug with the new WIFI sleep settings that they added with 1.4 but cannot be sure that it is just a coincidence. Mine is set to "Keep Wi-Fi on". There are other threads on this but I cannot locate them at this moment to link.
    It happened this morning and I haven't turned wifi on for the past several days.
    you guys that have not had the patch please try this. Open phone app bring down menu from top left and go into preferences then scroll down and update network settings and update prl . This may be part or all of your issue . Don't know if it is but its worth the try. Also you can go into device info app then the drop down menu from top left then tests and do the quick test to test your hardware on the phone . It will send an message to sprint or palm one if there is an issue . The only other thing to try is a partial reset . Hope this helps you guys and girls !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    ok. I did some testing today. First restarted without starting the phone/txt apps. Phone worked fine. So it must be calling these after startup.

then restarted and opened the web, app catalog, and preware before trying the phone app. I could NOT get a call and the phone app froze when opening.

stupidly I updated the package manager service to 0.9.39. Since then I've not been able to reproduce it. I've tried the web, app catalog, and preware after restart and the phone works fine always now.

so I suspect that the package manager might have been the problem. But now I would need my pc to go back to the earlier version and I only was able to reproduce it once.

can anyone running package manager .9.38 try this? Restart, open preware and update feeds. Then ty calling in. See if it will come through. Also try restart, open app catalog and preware, then try to call.
    Ive got 2 pre's that just started not vibrating yesterday on txt msg, we are getting the blinks, but no vibes. We didnt make a change to anything, just started on its own..... any help please ?
    Quote Originally Posted by eazypic View Post
    Ive got 2 pre's that just started not vibrating yesterday on txt msg, we are getting the blinks, but no vibes. We didnt make a change to anything, just started on its own..... any help please ?
    a reset wont help?
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Alright, i don't think preware/package service is the cause. But I think what happens is the large memory footprint of preware can cause the system to start clearing out memory. Which is probably an attempt by palm to better manage the memory and avoid things like the too many cards error when no cards are open. For some reason palm is clearing the phone and messaging apps out of memory to free up room. Then the real issue is that when a call/text comes in, the apps are not launched again properly to notify you.

So what I have now been able to repeat now, is to clear the phone app out of memory using JSTop and create the problem. If you launch JSTop you'll either see 1-maybe 2 instances of the phone app running or none. If there is none running, you can call your phone and you will not get notified when the call comes in. Maybe it will tell you that you missed the call, but it will not ring.

To proove it you can use JSTop to clear the phone app out of memory and try calling you pre. See if it rings. Mine will not ring unless there is an instance of phone running. If I clear it, then call my pre, it will not ring. Then if I launch the phone app, it shows in JStop and will then ring when called.

If I'm right, it means we can at least use JSTop to see if our phone is not going to get a call or text. It doesn't fix the bug but it may help till Palm fixes it. By the way, after a fresh restart, my phone app and messaging shows that it is running. Only when I start using up memory (web, app catalog, preware, games) does the system clear it out.

Can someone else with JSTop installed verify this?
    I have a pre+. My ringer and text notification also have not worked since 1.4. I have nothing on the phone since I wanted to wait until after the update to try adding things.

A power cycle seemed to help. The notifications for texts are pretty poor to begin with.

I am a bit bummed because I need these simple features to work. I had a sick kid yesterday who couldn't reach me.

I sure hope they fix this.

lauralitz
    nope, reboots didn't help and no settings have been changed either
    It happens to me just after doctoring to 1.4... i had to keep the Phone and Msg App open... now i found a utility to that Clear Card App xD, maybe the developer already had 1.4 :P

anyway... right now on 1.3.5.1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0
    this happened to me I took it to the sprint repair store near me.... We tried everything full erase,secure full erase, even dr. My phone and reinstalled 1.4...... Still no ringer nothing worked it was super slow.... Soo they ordered me a refurb from palm.... Got it 2 days later and it still had 1.3.5 on it but I updated to 1.4 it works flawlessly.
    I am having a problem with text message notification. The light blinks but there is no sound notification like I had before. Worst yet is that it does not happen all the time. I checked my patches and I don't have the "no alerts during phone call" patch.
    i never had that "no alerts during phone calls" patch and it still happened to me.... my refurb that i got seems like it's soooo much better then my old one though.... faster,no oreo,the touch screen feels soo much smoother
    I have just filed a bug report with Palm about this pretty big issue and I recommend that you do the same. As a summary from the above:

After large memory applications like Preware are loaded, basic Palm apps like phone, calendar, and messaging are pushed out of the javascript memory as verified by JSTOP. Even after the memory consuming application is closed (ex. Preware), the Palm apps don't automatically restart so any phone calls or text messages will not go through. Phone calls will go to voicemail and text messages will be saved until you open the messaging app. In addition, the basic palm apps will hang on the splash screen until manually reopened. We need Palm to keep the basic/essential Palm applications in the javascript memory at all times. Please notify Palm about this issue. I have doctored my phone and did a full erase and both did not solve my problem.

To get around this issue, manually reopen or keep open the applications in question or don't use memory consuming applications. You can also use JSTOP to verify messaging and the phone app are running as the user CDJH recommended. Thanks for your help in solving this issue. Now we wait for a webos software update.
    Quote Originally Posted by JosefTor View Post
    I have just filed a bug report with Palm about this pretty big issue and I recommend that you do the same. As a summary from the above:

After large memory applications like Preware are loaded, basic Palm apps like phone, calendar, and messaging are pushed out of the javascript memory as verified by JSTOP. Even after the memory consuming application is closed (ex. Preware), the Palm apps don't automatically restart so any phone calls or text messages will not go through. Phone calls will go to voicemail and text messages will be saved until you open the messaging app. In addition, the basic palm apps will hang on the splash screen until manually reopened. We need Palm to keep the basic/essential Palm applications in the javascript memory at all times. Please notify Palm about this issue. I have doctored my phone and did a full erase and both did not solve my problem.

To get around this issue, manually reopen or keep open the applications in question or don't use memory consuming applications. You can also use JSTOP to verify messaging and the phone app are running as the user CDJH recommended. Thanks for your help in solving this issue. Now we wait for a webos software update.
    I have tried re-creating this issue by loading a bunch of apps but could not. I tried throughout the day. I got the 'Too many cards' error before any of the Phone or Messaging apps were terminated. I launched Preware, App Catalog, YouTube, several games, etc but the Phone & Messaging apps were never terminated. I verified this using JsTop.

Given your information I have been leaving my Phone & Messaging apps open to ensure I do not miss any calls or text messages (as I missed several last night and this morning).

All this being said, I just encountered the issue with the Phone & Messaging apps being terminated. I was not trying to reproduce the issue. I launched Preware to check if there were any patch or app updates and there was an update to the Homebrew app 'Preopoly'. I clicked 'Update' and when the application was done updating the Cards I had open for the Phone & Messaging app were closed. I then launched JsTop and confirmed that I had no instances of these apps running.

When I tried to launch the Phone app it hung up at the splash screen. At this time JsTop showed one instance of the phone app running. I closed the Phone app card and then relaunched the phone app. It then successfully loaded. JsTop then showed two (2) instances of the app running. I then launched the Messaging app. It launched successfully on the first attempt and JsTop shows one instance of the app running.

So, not sure what this means but it seams to be Preware related unless you can reproduce the error using Stock apps, which I have not been able to do.

Thank you to cdjh & JosefTor for your information and testing. Your posts in this forum have helped me a lot. I now know what can cause the issue and a workaround.

I posted this information in the Preware thread as well and asked Rod if they can look into if it's a Preware related issue. I'll keep everyone posted with what I hear back.
    Last edited by mikedill24; 03/09/2010 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedill24 View Post
    I have tried re-creating this issue by loading a bunch of apps but could not. I tried throughout the day. I got the 'Too many cards' error before any of the Phone or Messaging apps were terminated. I launched Preware, App Catalog, YouTube, several games, etc but the Phone & Messaging apps were never terminated. I verified this using JsTop.

Given your information I have been leaving my Phone & Messaging apps open to ensure I do not miss any calls or text messages (as I missed several last night and this morning).

All this being said, I just encountered the issue with the Phone & Messaging apps being terminated. I was not trying to reproduce the issue. I launched Preware to check if there were any patch or app updates and there was an update to the Homebrew app 'Preopoly'. I clicked 'Update' and when the application was done updating the Cards I had open for the Phone & Messaging app were closed. I then launched JsTop and confirmed that I had no instances of these apps running.

When I tried to launch the Phone app it hung up at the splash screen. At this time JsTop showed one instance of the phone app running. I closed the Phone app card and then relaunched the phone app. It then successfully loaded. JsTop then showed two (2) instances of the app running. I then launched the Messaging app. It launched successfully on the first attempt and JsTop shows one instance of the app running.

So, not sure what this means but it seams to be Preware related unless you can reproduce the error using Stock apps, which I have not been able to do.

Thank you to cdjh & JosefTor for your information and testing. Your posts in this forum have helped me a lot. I now know what can cause the issue and a workaround.

I posted this information in the Preware thread as well and asked Rod if they can look into if it's a Preware related issue. I'll keep everyone posted with what I hear back.
    Please see http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2293697

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    mikedill24,

Your experience closely matches mine. I also find that cards are closing on their own when using preware and other apps. I'm not sure it is such a horrible thing that the memory is being purged like it is (sort of defeats the idea of multitasking, though). But it is absolutely horrible when the most necessary basic apps (phone and messaging) can't start back up properly when you get a call/text. I find myself checking JSTop a few times throughout the day to make sure I'll be able to get a phone call. Big bug that needs a fix, quick.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I am having the same problem where once I use Preware then my phone no longer receives call. I agree with cdjh that this is a BIG bug and needs to be addressed quickly. This is a phone after all.
    I actually keep JsTop, the Phone app and the Messaging App open. I can't risk missing a phone call or text message.

I can't seem to re-create the issue just running Preware or just running a bunch of other apps but I just encountered the bug again. I used Preware to update the app 'ClassicNote'. This app and the 'Preopoly' app both are from the feed 'Pre Central'. This is one commonality I noticed.

This is definitely a huge bug. Has anyone been able to re-create the issue WITHOUT running Preware?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast