1.    #1  
    Hope this is the right spot for this question. I have two things happening... 1, all my apps vanished... 2 when I try to download them I get the "Can't Install, this app requires XXM. You must delete some apps..." error.

Here's the situation.

I'm a heavy patch user. So I WebOS doctored my phone so I could have a nice clean slate and also remove any funky coding from my patches that might interfere with WebOS 1.4. My WebOS doctor went through without a hitch.

My profile loads up perfectly, all my other profiles syncs perfectly, all my pictures, music, etc are all intact. All my apps are in the app list marked for download. In fact before I got to the WebOS 1.4 update it went through the process of redownloading my apps. No problem, they all load up just fine.

Next I download and install WebOS 1.4, everything seems to be going fine. But upon reboot I open my app launcher and all my non-"default" apps are missing. No icon to download them, nothing. "No big deal", I think to myself, and I headed to the app catalog to re-download and install them. Then to my further annoyance, every time I try to download an app it says I have no room to do so. This I know is bunk because a) I have no apps besides the default ones and b) my storage memory has an available 5.5gb.

/baffled

Do I need to WebOS Doctor again??? Anyone else having this issue? Any other fixes besides Doctoring.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandrew View Post
    Hope this is the right spot for this question. I have two things happening... 1, all my apps vanished... 2 when I try to download them I get the "Can't Install, this app requires XXM. You must delete some apps..." error.

Here's the situation.

I'm a heavy patch user. So I WebOS doctored my phone so I could have a nice clean slate and also remove any funky coding from my patches that might interfere with WebOS 1.4. My WebOS doctor went through without a hitch.

My profile loads up perfectly, all my other profiles syncs perfectly, all my pictures, music, etc are all intact. All my apps are in the app list marked for download. In fact before I got to the WebOS 1.4 update it went through the process of redownloading my apps. No problem, they all load up just fine.

Next I download and install WebOS 1.4, everything seems to be going fine. But upon reboot I open my app launcher and all my non-"default" apps are missing. No icon to download them, nothing. "No big deal", I think to myself, and I headed to the app catalog to re-download and install them. Then to my further annoyance, every time I try to download an app it says I have no room to do so. This I know is bunk because a) I have no apps besides the default ones and b) my storage memory has an available 5.5gb.

/baffled

Do I need to WebOS Doctor again??? Anyone else having this issue? Any other fixes besides Doctoring.

Thanks
    I have seen a rare issue that results in cryptofs not mounting properly which you may be seeing. A full erase might be required. We can do more in depth debugging if you join us on IRC if you wish.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    this happened to me too and i had to do the "erase apps and data" reset option and log back into palm profile. that worked fine for me. doctoring didn't help me either and this was the only fix that worked.
  4.    #4  
    ah so I need to also erase my stored data? Interesting, that should be ok since I did a full backup on my netbook before I doctored just in case. I'll go ahead and try that and if that doesn't work I'll hop on IRC to see what else we can do. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandrew View Post
    »»Exact same thing happened to me. Use the "Backup" feature directly from the phone and do your own backup to the computer so that you keep as much possible

.....THEN Doctor again using the most recent Doctor available.

I used this method and got everything back (cept for txt msgs but that's another story). It also got rid of the wrong msg that pops up saying you don't have enough memory.

P.S.- I also used this opportunity to get the most recent versions of Preware and Quick Instal.
    I too had to do the "erase apps and data" reset option and log back into palm profile to get everything fixed.

I installed the 1.4 update, it only loaded some apps, not all, and my ringtones wouldn't play. Could find no other fix for that so decided to visit the doctor. this cured all including restoring all apps, BUT, put me back to the previous webos version. So I did what any great palm pilot would do and downloaded the update. did the install and.... All the apps were gone AND I got the "you better delete some apps" message form the app catalog. All I did from there was do the erase apps and data reset from the phone, re log in to my profile, and shabang! all fixed!! Got to love this site! Thanks guys!
    I may be a bit simplistic, but after the 1.4 download I started reloading patches. Upon the reinstall of the first patch and subsequent reboot, all the apps disappeared on launcher...nothing except a semi-transparent screen. After a little thought (like aw *****), I finally powered down the phone, let it sit, then powered back up. I did get apps, but only one launcher screen. So after a little more thought, I powered down again and powered back up and all the apps located on their original launcher screens reappeared.

I have subsequently added patches back and have not had any more disappearing app issues.
    I had the same error message. I had to do the full erase option on my phone and then let it reinstall everything for things to get back to normal.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problems...and nothing seems to work

I recently exchanged my Pre @Sprint for the annoying music volume icon problem.

I got a new Pre with 1.3.5.1, and when I logged into my Palm Profile, it started syncing and things were going good. Then it started to restore all the Apps, and NONE of them would install!! I let it go figuring I needed to be on 1.4....so I updated to 1.4

Same problem. All the apps say something like "This App requires XX MB of storage..." blah blah delete some files, etc....but I have like 7GB available.

I tried a Full Erase, then Doctored straight to 1.4 so everything would be nice and clean...
    Then logged into my palm profile, and BAM!, same error

Then, i deleted all the "ghost" placeholder icons for my apps, and tried installing Yelp manually from the app catalog...no dice!
    G'day peeps,

I keep seeing references to 'The Doctor' and 'Visiting the Doctor'. I assume you're all talking about that Java app that's supposed to fix a bungled software update? I got my Pre last week and one of the first things I did was update it to 1.4.0, and I've never been able to install any apps—I keep being told 'This app requires XX MB; you must delete some apps', even though I have plenty of space free. I tried 'Erase Apps & Data' and 'Full Erase', finding it didn't fix the problem and also that my calendar colours, language preferences and SMSes didn't get restored. Since The Doctor keeps talking about symptoms that I don't have (the update appeared to be successful), I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I really stuff things up.

And BTW, I bought my Pre from overseas, because it's ridiculous to have to change mobile providers just to get the 'phone I want. It means I can't just go back down to Sprint or wherever, but it's still the right choice, because when I go overseas I can just buy a local SIM card and sidestep the exorbitant international call charges that mobile providers here charge. Why have Americans put up with this racket for so long? Call your representatives and tell them to get behind mobile telephone interoperability legislation today.

Cheers,
    MikZ.
    I got all excited when I saw 1.4.1 had been released. Since it's supposed to allow Europeans to download paid apps, and my 'phone is from Europe (Germany), I thought it might alleviate some confusion with free apps. But no, the problem persists. I've exhausted all over avenues; I'll run the doctor once I have a few hours to spare, and I'll let you know how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikZ View Post
    I keep seeing references to 'The Doctor' and 'Visiting the Doctor'. I assume you're all talking about that Java app that's supposed to fix a bungled software update? I got my Pre last week and one of the first things I did was update it to 1.4.0, and I've never been able to install any apps—I keep being told 'This app requires XX MB; you must delete some apps', even though I have plenty of space free. I tried 'Erase Apps & Data' and 'Full Erase', finding it didn't fix the problem and also that my calendar colours, language preferences and SMSes didn't get restored. Since The Doctor keeps talking about symptoms that I don't have (the update appeared to be successful), I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I really stuff things up.
    Yes, WebOS Doctor

And BTW, I bought my Pre from overseas, because it's ridiculous to have to change mobile providers just to get the 'phone I want. It means I can't just go back down to Sprint or wherever, but it's still the right choice, because when I go overseas I can just buy a local SIM card and sidestep the exorbitant international call charges that mobile providers here charge. Why have Americans put up with this racket for so long? Call your representatives and tell them to get behind mobile telephone interoperability legislation today.
    Agree on the first part, unless you want to switch providers because certain providers are superior (i.e. Sprint/VZW have nationwide 3G, AT&T/T-Mobile are missing the majority of the nation -- area wise -- in 3G coverage).

However, note that not all phones can work on all providers. Example: A Sprint/Verizon Pre CANNOT work on AT&T/T-Mobile. Two ENTIRELY different technologies.

Also note that the feds require that the companies that have compatibility (VZW/Sprint and AT&T/T-Mo) allow for usage of their networks by other networks' clients in emergency situations (when you call 911).

Also realize the reasons that GSM phones are locked is that the carrier pays a hefty amount to subsidize the device, but they almost always unlock it if you tell them you are going on an international trip -- although they shouldn't be locked in the first place.

Also realize the reasons that CDMA phones are prohibited from being used on another carrier is because of the way the carriers will activate phones. Sprint/VZW refuse to activate a phone not using an ESN they have on their 'Approved' list because it means they didn't sell it in the first place. This practice should be eliminated, but it does exist. Resellers like Cricket, MetroPCS, Tracfone, etc. will activate phones from both Sprint and Verizon, as well as other companies, but the settings for data and voice are hidden, therefore the companies have to flash the phone for you (or you can pay someone who has done it to do it for you), and I only know of Cricket actually doing this for their customers and for free. There have been SOME instances with people getting their Pres activated on Verizon (talking about the original Pre), but no success stories getting a Plus on Sprint that I know of.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by babokd View Post
    I'm having the same problems...and nothing seems to work

I recently exchanged my Pre @Sprint for the annoying music volume icon problem.

I got a new Pre with 1.3.5.1, and when I logged into my Palm Profile, it started syncing and things were going good. Then it started to restore all the Apps, and NONE of them would install!! I let it go figuring I needed to be on 1.4....so I updated to 1.4

Same problem. All the apps say something like "This App requires XX MB of storage..." blah blah delete some files, etc....but I have like 7GB available.

I tried a Full Erase, then Doctored straight to 1.4 so everything would be nice and clean...
    Then logged into my palm profile, and BAM!, same error

Then, i deleted all the "ghost" placeholder icons for my apps, and tried installing Yelp manually from the app catalog...no dice!
    Partial Erase is the fix as mentioned above. Go to Device info > Reset Options > Erase Apps & Data. Re-log into your Palm profile and after the reboot App and memory will be back.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation