Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Has anyone figured out how the LED blink for notifications is supposed to work? When should there be one slow blink, and when should there be two rapid blinks?

The most intuitive system, in my mind, would be a slow, solid blink for one notification of any type (SMS, E-mail, missed call, etc.) and two rapid blinks when there are two or more notifications at the same time.

But if somebody can decode the actual implementation, I'd love to hear what it is...

Brett
  2. dirtaymcgirt
    well for some odd reason, my pre plus blinks double for texts, emails, but does not blink at all for missed calls. i am swapping tomorrow for a new unit if i cant figure this out
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    wait a while for missed calls, mine blinks it just takes longer
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtaymcgirt View Post
    well for some odd reason, my pre plus blinks double for texts, emails, but does not blink at all for missed calls. i am swapping tomorrow for a new unit if i cant figure this out
    It's not just you, so I doubt its worth swapping the hardware just for that. I wouldn't be surprised to see a fix in 1.4.1...
  5. dirtaymcgirt
    does anybodys blink when they receive a missed call???? please tell me if im expecting something that is not possible
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtaymcgirt View Post
    does anybodys blink when they receive a missed call???? please tell me if im expecting something that is not possible
    Yes, I can confirm that there is an LED blink for missed calls. But it seems there's a long delay between when the call came in and when the blinking starts...
    I do receive notifications on missed call. I just tested it. After the first missed call, the phone immediately had a quick double blink notification. I then called again and after the second missed call, it switched to the long fade notification for a minute or so and then switched back to the double blink.

Very weird. Trying to figure out the algorithm. Not making sense yet.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Actually, sometimes I get blinks for missed calls and sometimes I don't. There's no method to the madness...

Come complain about it with me on the official Palm forum...
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    This is the way it works for me:

Missed calls / VM displays the slow pulse blink like the original patch.

Missed SMS does the quick 2 blinks.
    (I use the do not blink for email patch so not sure which style that would use)

*EDIT*

Did another test and got the slow pulse with an SMS.
    Somethings not too clear for me on this either and Palm did not release the details as to there being 2 styles of blinking.
    Maybe it goes to 2 quick ones when there is more than one alert waiting to be checked on, I'm just not sure..?
    Last edited by Freshyz; 02/28/2010 at 05:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Maybe it goes to 2 quick ones when there is more than one alert waiting to be checked on, I'm just not sure..?
    Nope, I tried testing that and there's no correlation, as far as I can tell...
  11. dirtaymcgirt
    i just spoke with tech support and have been speakin with them all day (palm tech support). they increased my case level to 3 which means now the engineers are looking into the blinking notification issue and they are going to call me back when they figure out what means what and why some are working and others are not. hope this helps. they better call me back soon.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Ya i just tested yet again and SMS, Missed call and VM all went to the slow pulse. (which seems a little slower than the patch was :/ )

Interesting to see what Palm techs come up with. Thanks for the heads up from tech support.. .
  13. dirtaymcgirt
    no problem broski. ill let you know when they call
    My wife and I tested our Pre's and her's blinked once, slowly after I sent her a text message....she left that notification at the bottom, I called her, and she ignored the call, and at first she thought the slow blink was still there, but after a couple of seconds, or maybe a minute, it changed to the quick 2 blink. Earlier, I left 2 different notifications at the bottom of my Pre, and got the same 2 blinks.
    LED notification for a missed call is not working for me either. Works great for vmail and messaging, but nothing for missed calls.

VZ Pixi+
  16. dirtaymcgirt
    what shall we do ppl? its aggrivating because i want to know if i missed a call.. obviously.. right
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Maybe there is some residue from those that had the blink notifications patch. Hmmm.

Come on. Is blink notification that big a deal that you won't give palm some feedback and some time to correct it? Is is a reason to go back to a different phone or to return it. Goodness, get a grip.

I have a freshly doctored 1.4.0. I get slow blink for missed call and fast (2 pulse) blink for text/email notification. Now the real question is what happens when you have multiple notifications and I think that's where the problem is. I get different behavior depending on who arrives first. However, I get notifications so I don't so much care whether one slow blink or two fast blinks.
    anybody know besides only blinking can we change colors like on the Nexux One you can select different colors for each item like red to phone calls blue to email or green to messages ????
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teobh View Post
    anybody know besides only blinking can we change colors like on the Nexux One you can select different colors for each item like red to phone calls blue to email or green to messages ????
    I'm thinking that this is not gonna happen. You would have to physically have different LEDs inside the phone to see different colors.

I also wanted to point out that I think it's hilarious that the patch worked flawlessly for everybody and never raised any questions - but now that we have the functionality officially, nobody can figure it out. Maybe that's why Palm was sitting on it for so long - they wanted to make sure that it was confusing!
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teobh View Post
    Not gonna happen. There's only one LED, a white one, in the phone, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    I also wanted to point out that I think it's hilarious that the patch worked flawlessly for everybody and never raised any questions - but now that we have the functionality officially, nobody can figure it out.
    This is what I find the funniest aspect of all this... ugh.

Reminder, please stop by the official Palm forums to let them know what you think...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast