Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    So I updated my VZW Pre Plus to v1.4 early this morning. Had placed it in WiFi mode before just to speed up the download. I just took it out of WiFi mode, and now instead of an "EV" icon in the top bar, it is a "3G" icon.

    Any difference between the two? Did VZW just decide to change it (in preparation for 4G later on)? Anyone else seeing this?

    (Look in the top right corner where the EV icon used to be.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. #2  
    Mine too, while sprint is working on 4G, Verizon is adding Lite I think its called. Mayby we will have 3 data speed icons. 1X 3G and 4G or Lite (or whatever it is called, but it is what the rest of the world is moving to.)
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    So I updated my VZW Pre Plus to v1.4 early this morning. Had placed it in WiFi mode before just to speed up the download. I just took it out of WiFi mode, and now instead of an "EV" icon in the top bar, it is a "3G" icon.

    Any difference between the two? Did VZW just decide to change it (in preparation for 4G later on)? Anyone else seeing this?

    (Look in the top right corner where the EV icon used to be.)
    Theres no difference between the two indicators dude. Its that Verizon decided to faze out the EV indicator on many of new upcoming devices because a lot of customers did not know what the EV mean. So, Verizon decided to change that so customers wont get confused.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilthePilot View Post
    Mine too, while sprint is working on 4G, Verizon is adding Lite I think its called. Mayby we will have 3 data speed icons. 1X 3G and 4G or Lite (or whatever it is called, but it is what the rest of the world is moving to.)
    There wont be 3 speed icons. For Pre+ is 1x which is 2G, & 3G which is 3G. For the Pre im not sure if the icons changed. For the Pre is 1x which is 2G & Ev which is 3G. I could be wrong but as far as i know i believe only the Pre+ got the icon changed. Also Verizon is launching its LTE/4G later this year.
  5. #5  
    it's a verizon thing for sure, they want you to know you're using 3G so they're going with the 3G indicator as opposed to EV (Ala Sprint). Verizon is moving on to LTE (4G) but I don't think it'll roll out nation wide until early next year. Sprint supposedly has "Quite a few" WiiMax (4G but not LTE) coming out this year so I wouldn't be surprised if they changed to using 3G/4G icons on there phones as well.
  6. #6  
    i see the 3g icon as more of a marketing idea. its still lame. go sprint!
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, it makes sense, and that's why I figured it was being done. Still, just thought it was interesting to note.
  8. tkisser's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #8  
    Does anyone understand the difference between the white 3G Icon and the black 3G Icon? Mine seems to randomly switch between the two.....
  9. #9  
    white is when data is being transmitted/received
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    it's a verizon thing for sure, they want you to know you're using 3G so they're going with the 3G indicator as opposed to EV (Ala Sprint). Verizon is moving on to LTE (4G) but I don't think it'll roll out nation wide until early next year. Sprint supposedly has "Quite a few" WiiMax (4G but not LTE) coming out this year so I wouldn't be surprised if they changed to using 3G/4G icons on there phones as well.
    It cracks me up that HSDPA which GSM phones use for data is said to be a variant of CDMA, while LTE data is a variant of, you guessed it, GSM. They share towers, and technology... So like are any of these wireless companies NOT in cohoots with each other? LOL. It would also seem that LTE is a LOT faster than WiMax...wow

    The article on the Palm "C-40" suggests that it may support 4G. Kinda stinks that we all just got a brand new phone and the replacement could be out before our warranties are out, doesn't it? And they say that advances are so significant that now products are obsolete when Research and Development is complete, before production even starts! Gah!
  11. #11  
    was the EV to 3G icon switch only for verizon phones? After my 1.4 update on sprint, it still shows EV..
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cibersay View Post
    was the EV to 3G icon switch only for verizon phones? After my 1.4 update on sprint, it still shows EV..
    yes it is only a verizon thing, sprint still sports the EV icon.

Posting Permissions