1.    #1  
    Hello! I have just upgraded to 1.4 using the Doctor (GSM o2)

Whenever i try to set a picture for a contact, in 1.3.5.2 it created a normal thumbnail and showed it in the box, but 1.4.0 "sqeezes" the image making it unproportional and ugly.

Does anyone else have this problem?
    Ditto. Sure is making things look unpleasant...
    Quote Originally Posted by ed.ubom View Post
    Ditto. Sure is making things look unpleasant...
    Same here.

I also noted that (at least when using .jpg files already on the phone) when assigning the contact photo by selecting, then dragging the photo to shift location and zoom level that the precise image doesn't always stick.

I realize this is also an element of the 'squishing' that happens, but in my case if a person's face is near the top of the original photo and I've zoomed in to just show their face, there will sometimes be a black bar across the top of their contact profile thumbnail where there is no more image in the original jpg file (as if the zoom level I selected was backed out a little bit, but there was no image to show above the face since that is past the top end of the photo).

Does anyone know if this 1.4 bug has been reported in the Palm forums? I haven't gone there yet to look?
    Last edited by greenawayj; 03/16/2010 at 03:50 PM.
    I was waiting for someone to bring this up - couldn't find the words to describe it. It's quite an annoying bug. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I also noted that (at least when using .jpg files already on the phone) when assigning the contact photo by selecting, then dragging the photo to shift location and zoom level that the precise image doesn't always stick.

I realize this is also an element of the 'squishing' that happens, but in my case if a person's face is near the top of the original photo and I've zoomed in to just show their face, there will sometimes be a black bar across the top of their contact profile thumbnail where there is no more image in the original jpg file (as if the zoom level I selected was backed out a little bit, but there was no image to show above the face since that is past the top end of the photo).
    Exactly what this poster said. Especially the horizontal black bar at the top.

So--no, original poster, you are not the only one.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Does ANYBODY of an inkling as to what we should do to solve this issue???

This sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Westmar View Post
    Does ANYBODY of an inkling as to what we should do to solve this issue???

This sucks.
    I haven't tried this yet -- because while this is an annoying issue, it's not really affecting my day-to-day use -- but does 'taking a photo' with the Pre to assign to a contact work any differently than photos put on the phone? I don't have an answer, but it's another scenario to consider.

Alternatively, what if the photos were edited on a computer to the appropriate x by x dimensions for the avatars (max resolution in the phone app). Do these photos suffer the same compresssion / stretching issues?
  8.    #8  
    It does the same for loaded/camera-taken pics.
    Have no intention in resizing on a PC though, what's the point of the whole thing then
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    It does the same for loaded/camera-taken pics.
    Have no intention in resizing on a PC though, what's the point of the whole thing then
    You are totally right. I was just brainstorming a bit -- PC editing isn't worth the effort.

I'll wait for Palm to fix this -- not that big of a deal for me. Plus it annoys my wife that her face looks so squished and fat (it's not), so I can have fun with that for the next few weeks until the fix comes out!!!
    It happens to me when I assign a picture from the photo app. The thumbnail will result with the black top bar. The work-around for me is to assign the picture starting from the contacts app. However, this sometimes leads to the thumbnail being vertically distorted but the picture in the called-ID phone app appears normal.

The issue results with the thumbnail appearance being affected in some way, shape or form. Seems like a 1.4 bug that didn't exist on my Pre in 1.3.5.1.

Issue also being discussed here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2315224
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    It just doesn't make any sense as to why some people have the prob and others don't. Makes you wonder if those who think they don't have the prob actually DO, they just don't understand what we're talking about.
    It just doesn't make any sense as to why some people have the prob and others don't. Makes you wonder if those who think they don't have the prob actually DO, they just don't understand what we're talking about.
    Well my "Black Bar" images have propagated back to Google contacts, so I for one, know I'm not imagining the issues. I suspect that many people don't actually assign photos to contacts very frequently -- it's kind of a novelty / nice to have feature.
    It's very annoying. I'm going to try what Achill3s suggested and see if it works. Edit ---> it works!
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shahm0nsterr View Post
    It's very annoying. I'm going to try what Achill3s suggested and see if it works. Edit ---> it works!
    So it still looks distorted in contacts (widened) but when the contact calls you and you see the pic in the phone app it looks normal?

Just wondering because i always assign photos to contacts FROM the contacts app.....maybe i need to get someone with a distorted pic to call me. My guess is it will look fine.

...but it still looks like crap in the contacts app....

(sigh)
    So it still looks distorted in contacts (widened) but when the contact calls you and you see the pic in the phone app it looks normal?

Just wondering because i always assign photos to contacts FROM the contacts app.....maybe i need to get someone with a distorted pic to call me. My guess is it will look fine.

...but it still looks like crap in the contacts app....

(sigh)
    Yes, the caller ID in the phone app will look normal. The thumbnail in the contacts app will not have the black bar on top but it will look vertically morphed. That's a 1.4 bug but again, the phone app caller ID for those morphed thumbnail pics will still look normal in the phone app.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Yes, the caller ID in the phone app will look normal. The thumbnail in the contacts app will not have the black bar on top but it will look vertically morphed. That's a 1.4 bug but again, the phone app caller ID for those morphed thumbnail pics will still look normal in the phone app.
    Well, I guess that's at least half of the problem gone. Still kind of ugly when scrolling through contacts, but hey....it's a smart phone - we can't expect everything to work on it correctly, right??