1.    #1  
    With 1.4, my Pre updated just fine, but my wife's didn't work so well. She cant hear the sweeping sound when flicking away a card, and she cant talk on the phone unless its through speaker phone or a blue tooth headset as the phone thinks there is a wired headset in place. I tried a reset of the entire phone, a full erase, I tried putting in a headset in and taking it out and its still not working. We can hear sound and stuff through a wired headset, but once we unplug it the phone still thinks its there. Can anybody help?

PS - its really her off, so please help quick!
  2.    #2  
    Nevermind - We fixed it. For some reason, we just had to insert a wired headset jack in about half way and kind of wiggle it around. Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else, but if it does, try that.
    I had a very similar problem.

Upgraded from 1.3.5.1 to 1.4 - could no longer hear any sound at all. No alert sounds, no ringtones, not even the phone itself.

Did a Web OS Doctor reload of 1.4 - same problem.

Went back to 1.3.5.1 - same problem.

Went to 1.4 again - same problem.

Finally figured out what it was - the phone thinks it is stuck in wired headset mode. I had to install the following homebrew to un-stick it.

I don't have 10 posts yet so I cannot share the URL but do a PreCentral Forum search for "The Ghastly Headset" and you will find it.
    Did some more testing. Every time I reboot my phone it puts it back into headset mode. I have to use "The Ghastly Headset" to fix it every time I reboot.

Only started happening to me after upgrading to 1.4.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrluk View Post
    Did some more testing. Every time I reboot my phone it puts it back into headset mode. I have to use "The Ghastly Headset" to fix it every time I reboot.

Only started happening to me after upgrading to 1.4.
    This has happened to me even before 1.4, but did it again after 1.4 even since not having a headset plugged in (or using a BT headset).

Try plugging in some headphones, restarting your phone, and then removing the headphones before opening the phone app. Someone suggested that to me in a different thread a while back and it's worked every time!
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    looked up this thread when in had the same problem (1.3.x) found this thread

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...hone-mode.html

short answer some said that sprint fixed it by hitting

orange key+SYM+R

i did it and it worked! at least one other said it worked for them too
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    looked up this thread when in had the same problem (1.3.x) found this thread

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...hone-mode.html

short answer some said that sprint fixed it by hitting

orange key+SYM+R

i did it and it worked! at least one other said it worked for them too
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    This happened to me for the first time last night. We were listening to music in the car while going out for dinner. Tried plugging in wired headset, restarting the phone, orange key+sym+r. Nothing is working so far.
    I've had this problem since 1.4. Did not experience it before. Sprint Pre. Based on some more troubleshooting - it looks like removal of the headphones is being missed by the OS or is causing the audio player service for mp3 file types to actually crash. Victims will notice they are unable to play mp3 files, listen to changes in ringtones, hear the ringer, etc. The headphone jack insert/remove while in phone app is my only current resolution. SW restarts, Power cycles don't fix it.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrluk View Post
    I had a very similar problem.

Upgraded from 1.3.5.1 to 1.4 - could no longer hear any sound at all. No alert sounds, no ringtones, not even the phone itself.

Did a Web OS Doctor reload of 1.4 - same problem.

Went back to 1.3.5.1 - same problem.

Went to 1.4 again - same problem.

Finally figured out what it was - the phone thinks it is stuck in wired headset mode. I had to install the following homebrew to un-stick it.

I don't have 10 posts yet so I cannot share the URL but do a PreCentral Forum search for "The Ghastly Headset" and you will find it.
    Wonder if you can help me out how to go back to 1.3.5.1? As well downloaded WebOs Doc but got only zip file. Haveno idea how start running it. Any help would be much welcome as that my phone is no longer working
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    So just to reiterate the solution that's worked for many others:

Plug headset into phone. Restart phone. Once OS is fully loaded, remove headset.

Did you guys try those steps?
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad