Page 1 of 15 123456 11 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that we're all getting used to what 1.4 does - and doesn't - have, I thought I'd start a thread to see what everyone would like to see in the next webOS update.

Here's my short list:

1. Recurring tasks! The old Palm OS had this, why not the webOS? As much as I may not want to, I'd like a reminder in my task list every month that I have to pay my phone bill, etc.

2. Zoom option for Camera. Again, my Treo 755p has it. Why not the Pre?

3. Customize Lock Screen. Not the one that requires a PIN to release, but the plain old black screen with the digital clock and padlock. I'd like to have the ability to make this screen my choice of images.

4. Delete/Read all email. I know there's a patch for it, but how much effort would it take to include this in webOS?

5. Bluetooth file exchange capability with my laptop. Once again, my Treo can do it...

6. Easy way to delete bundled apps, mainly NFL and NASCAR. Yeah, I know, big-bucks sponsors. One can dream!

Anyone else?

Dang... make that "is" an "in" in the thread title...
    Last edited by animemom; 02/27/2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Noticed stupid typo. :(
    --------------------

Palm Pilot Pro > Palm IIIx > Palm V >
    Palm VII > Treo 755p > Palm Pre!

... and they're all still floating around
    my house somewhere, too...

--------------------
    I just want the BASIC functionality and options I already have in my Palm Treo 680 and I report about in my post "Vital webOS limitations" that nobody comment on...

Okay, I use my smartphone to manage my life and over 60 projects, not just for fun and games... So I may be some kind of power user, but have all the people who need a really smart phone, already left Palm and use another OS by now????

It would as example be a pain in the *** to always have to scroll through huge fonts and a lot of extra empty space, when a simple setting / option would fix that and show more text than in 680 instead of dramatically less... Remember that Pre has as bigger screen and that you only need 25% more space (not 100% more) for accurate finger navigation!!!

So what I personally need and hope more people here want are in short following....

1) Complete desktop sync for everything, as an alternative to the cloud and a way to edit stuff in my notebook...

2) Offer at least two smaller font sizes (as options) at every view that now use huge fonts and also "less empty space" around the text - so you totally can see two and three times as much text - when you count both more letters, at each line and more visible lines... Because there should naturally be some alternative settings - for everyone that have average finger tips, a lot of info in the smartphone and don't want to scroll like crazy...

3) The included Task application should get the same functionality as before, with a sign for any "extra note page" connected to the task, a visible number for the priority level and fix the two huge limitations above, that just let me see 6 task now (when 12 should be possible) and don't let me sync!

4) Categories (as friends, biz, service and shops or whatever you like) in the contacts application, just as before...

5) In the calendar should you also be able to remove the fancy "empty time holder" completely, to free up even more space for real calender info!!

6) The "date picker" that help you select another day for an entry in the calendar, should naturally show a mini calendar (with dated and weekdays) as it was before...

7) The "universal" search don't search in the Calendar, any documents, in the message part of emails or Tasks* and that is very strange...

8) There is no longer any "scroll bar" that show where you are, not even as an option and it should be a slim transparent indicator, that also show how big the actual view is of the total page.

9) Then do I also want the magnificent "floating event" functionality, in the calender (at least in a third party application) that I now have in DateBk6 so you can show vital events "that should be done today" and get them automatically moved to next day, every new day...

10) The pretty "Memo" application is pointless (just as before) when each post is limited to just 4.000 letters and you anyhow have ToDo / Task and the Calender... And it is not possible to sync, so what you really need is a good plain text editor - that is easy to back up and open from your notebook, rock solid, ultra fast, has smart search & replace and handle at least 200 huge text documents of minimum 100.000 letters each, sorted in 12 folders...

And you find deeper details, in my post "Vital webOS limitations" and 10 less vital improvements... Which it would be GREAT if you could comment on!

And observe that most of this limitations are just missing options / alternative settings, that actually NOT change anything in the default GUI view and only give more generous possibilities!
    Last edited by vantechmag; 02/27/2010 at 06:44 PM.
    1) Make universal search more universal (email, calendar, etc.) - also include google search suggestions as you type (like on android).

2) Performance

3) Speed

4) Eliminate Lag

5) Make it faster

6) Palm, is anyone listening???
    Allow invites to others when creating a calendar event. I cannot understand why this is taking so long!
    is it already possible to create folders in the launcher like a real desktop ?
    then to be able to drop and drag the nascar amazon sprint tv and several others into a custom folder named stupid apps instead of me making more launch pages.
    BTW, is it possible to label the launch pages, i read somewhere someone was able to do this ? "Dumb Apps Page"
  6.    #6  
    tweaka, thanks for the laugh! I may be completely wrong here, but I think there was a patch that allowed you to give your Launcher pages titles like Dumb Apps Page. Of course, I'm not sure if all the tweaks are working with 1.4 yet, but it's worth a look! I think I'll go look now.

swalker, I agree... especially when regular Google Calendar allows it.

vantechmag, I commented in your thread.
    --------------------

--------------------
    wifi file transfer for music video would be awesome. but 1.4 is a great update.
    my list

1) support .ics for calendar events ent to you by others

2)more im support (msn and skype)

that's all I feel I am missing at this point. everything else is gravy!
    My wish list would be:

1. Windows Live Messenger Integration
    2. Voice Recorder
    3. Option to Select All Items in any menu so you can delete quicker.
    4. Speed Improvement -SIGNIFICANT
    5. Fix too many card issue
    6. Themes
    7. Voice Dialing
    8. Ability to Sync Outlook Notes to and from Desktop
    9. visual voice mail
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    In my opinion with 1.4.0 webOS has finally achieved a state that it would have been acceptable to launch with; there's no more reason to cry about the state of webOS. The previous 10 months seemed like a paid public beta to me. Now they need to enable the graphics chip on the Pixi and make the webOS GUI be drawn by the 3D chips to make it run more quickly.

I'd like to see the following features next:
    -voice command
    -voice recording
    -bluetooth file transfer
    -office document creation and edit capability
    -desktop sync
    -spice up the calendar so professionals can rely on it
    -spice up the contact list with categories/groups
    1-Manage (including adding) invitees in calendar
    2-MAKE THE LANDSCAPE EMAIL PERMANENT!!!
    3-Launcher pages add/delete w/ naming
    4-OBEX Bluetooth profile
    5-Voice Recorder (mic API)
    6-Better garbage collection/memory management
    7-Allow patches to be sold through App Catalog
    8-GPU for GUI
    Although I am still enjoying all the wonderful improvements 1.4 has brought, I really would like my Pre to become a more wireless device. By that I mean wireless transferring, syncing, etc. Calendar event invites, visual voicemail, better universal search, and some more speed would be nice. Let's unlock the true power and speed of these devices Palm so more people will check out this amazing OS!!!
  13.    #13  
    The ability to use an app like Documents to Go would be nice. I used this all the time with my Treo, and would Bluetooth the files between my Treo and my laptop so I could work anywhere. Perhaps in the next update?
    --------------------

--------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by animemom View Post
    I think there was a patch that allowed you to give your Launcher pages titles
    I am still looking for it momemina.

Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    3-Launcher pages add/delete w/ naming
    5-Voice Recorder (mic API)
    7-Allow patches to be sold through App Catalog
    3-agreed. though you can add/delete pages thusly.
    5-precorder did it, i made a ringtone from my barking dog.
    7-why ? donating will make you feel better. if your saying that it would be nice to have a way to restore or remember what patchs youve applied, then say that. I am already poor. I'm not a dev yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Although I am still enjoying all the wonderful improvements 1.4 has brought, I really would like my Pre to become a more wireless device. By that I mean wireless transferring, syncing, etc. Calendar event invites, visual voicemail, better universal search, and some more speed would be nice. Let's unlock the true power and speed of these devices Palm so more people will check out this amazing OS!!!
    as for wireless transferring, there is a web server called lighty web server under available other, optware, utilities. I'm glad its free. Tried it, it worked ! But I didnt config FTP or change the listen port to transfer files to it from the web yet.... (sprint has limitations on 80 am told)(thats another thread i guess)
    (Any chance of sprnt giving me calls and web access so I can slingbox like iphoners do now ?)
    Calendar event invites, visual voicemail, better universal search, and some more speed would be nice, I dont have that much going on in my social circles. Speed from where, the carrier or the phone I wonder.
    Which way to the java script for dummies thread ?
    I too want to be able to search emails, calender, & music using Universal Search, but I don't want results to come up automatically, they should be in the 'find' list so it doesn't slow down universal search.

I also want bluetooth filetranfer and more bluetooth peripheral support (controllers keyboards)

I want the GUI to be rendered by the GPU

official virtual keyboard with auto-correction

voice recognition software (dialing, commands)

voice recorder
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    You know what else? I thought I heard/saw something about updated notification capabilities. It's not something I feel like I'm needing right now, but I bet once they add it, I'm gonna love it. I thought they were coming in 1.4. Was I wrong or did they get pushed?
    Battery percentage instead of icon!............. and paid appz in canada :P
    ....and enable the built in pancake maker! :P
    for me i would like to see Synergy for Xbox Live , and i mean full on Xbox Live Intergration doesnt have to have voice or anything but sending text messages would be cool enough, umm maybe like a mini marketplace, a friends list of course, ummm --- add/remove/block friend --- , --- appear offline/busy/away --- status changer, i dunno maybe some other little stuff too but yeah thats all i need then im completely happy with my pre.... i dont really care about FLASH that much, although it is cool to know that my phone will be able to do it. and thats it
    <<<< WebOS Represent >>>>
    I would like a built-in Tazer, that zaps you if you post about 1.6 the day after 1.5 comes out.
Page 1 of 15 123456 11 ... LastLast