Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    my battery life today was horrid. Not sure what did me in, but normally I am leaving work with 20-30%, since 1.4 its been 40-50%, today I woke up to a dead pre (fell asleep @ 40%) and its drained way too fast, It died around 11:30. I have installed some patches yesterday so I assume thats whats doing it. I forgot which ones but I am gonna try and sort it out. Would love an app that combines JSTOP with an estimator of what process is using about how much battery per hour....
    More than likely this is from a memory leak. It happens. Some apps leak memory, and you'll see your battery drain VERY quickly. All it takes to fix this is a restart, unfortunately you don't notice it until you're battery is already almost dead. Hence the restart app that's out there.

I've had that happen maybe 3 or 4 times since I got my pre. One day it would just drain extremely fast.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    not sure if those on this thread read the recent post by deesugar recently, but if you want GREAT battery life, follow his recs:
    go to phone, preferences, and turn data usage to off when you are at home or any other place with a strong wifi signal. All this does is turns off EVDO, but you can still use your phone for what it is (a phone, duh), text messages, and access the internet an other data via WIFI.

if you aren't in an area of wifi, you can still make and receive phone calls and text messagges (though no MMS)...you battery will last all day and then some.
    when you need data, just put it back on...

this has worked wonders for me and completely eliminated my fear of having one of those days where I am not using my phone at all and when I take it out of my holster the phone feels hot and has lot over 30% in charge.

I realize this may not be a solution for some, but it will be for many...
    I removed email landscape patch and changed yahoo email sync from "as item arrives" to every 1hour, and that did the trick! my battery has been lasting longer than ever before!
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyricky View Post
    I removed email landscape patch and changed yahoo email sync from "as item arrives" to every 1hour, and that did the trick! my battery has been lasting longer than ever before!
    I'm sure that it was changing from "as items arrive" to polling that did it.
    I keep telling people to at least *try* it and for many it has helped a lot,
    but some folks are really stubborn about it cuz they feel they just have to
    have their email notifications every possible instant of the day, but
    will still complain constantly about their poor battery life.
    I use 30 minute polling interval.

ian
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i think my battery life is roughly the same if not better. it's certainly no worse.

up until recently i was using a sim that i'd had for about 4/5 years. turns out it was a 3 volt sim, and newer ones are 1.8. i got a newer one (just asked my telco) and maybe it's my imagination, but i think i am getting better battery life.

of course, most pre users would have a new sim already, so it would only be helpful to people in my position.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    For the 47th time, "as they arrive" (aka "push email") is a known battery sucker.
    Switch em to polling with a reasonable interval. I can't guarantee
    that it accounts for all your drain, but it's proven step to improving
    battery life which we've known from day 1.

BTW, you're always going to see higher drain at 1x data, because it means
    the EVDO radio has to be on longer to fetch the same amount of data.

ian
    I don't think this is true. Although i have no imperical evidence, my battery doesn't drain nearly as quickly. I think your logic is flawed, because you don't know how much more power it takes to power the evdo radio. What if it takes 1.5 more power for example, then as long as it doesn't take 1.5 times longer to download a webpage then you aren't using up more power. So for things like email, and text its probably not a big deal. Also, for programs like pandora, it might take a little longer to start the stream but once started its buffered so i imagine it doesn't take any longer. I have noticed a much higher increase in battery. Although i still think the battery life is unacceptable.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I'm sure that it was changing from "as items arrive" to polling that did it.
    I keep telling people to at least *try* it and for many it has helped a lot,
    but some folks are really stubborn about it cuz they feel they just have to
    have their email notifications every possible instant of the day, but
    will still complain constantly about their poor battery life.
    I use 30 minute polling interval.

ian
    The difference to me, in all my testing, were marginal at best. At least through my tests, there was no significant difference between "As they arrive" and polling every 30 minutes (which is what I had it set at, as well). I have two email accounts set up also...

I would equate the battery-drain difference to that of sending a couple more texts per hour. I would even venture to say that I couldn't tell the difference at all between the two, neither in my head, or by testing with Battery Monitor over a few hours time.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345