Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Hi guys,

For the last week my Battery completely dies as soon as it hits 30% (check the drop in the graph at the end)!

It goes from 30% to 0% then the battery low pop-up alert shows. Unless I run it to the TS it dies there and then.

With this happening, it's been completely drained about 5 times then left of TS all night which shows an actual charge of 97%

Has anyone seen this before, any ideas? I'm guessing that a new battery is needed.

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    ian,

I understand, however, I have always ran push. 1.4 is far worse than 1.3.5.1.

I only receive 1X where I live, so I don't really have a choice there.

My usage/location has not changed since my update with abismal results.
    And you refuse to try a proven method to reduce battery drain
    by switching them to polling? It may or may not be a significant
    source of drain for you, but you won't know until you try it.

ian
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uk-pre View Post
    Has anyone seen this before, any ideas? I'm guessing that a new battery is needed.
    In 1.3.5 some of us would see it occasionally show a drop to 0% from
    literally any other %, and then a minute later it'd jump back to where
    it was. I've never seen or heard of it doing what you're seeing
    though. I'd say your battery is probably dead.

ian
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I think I'm going to have to doctor.

I left battery monitor on last night on my pre, nearly in standby mode, with VERY minimal usage... Maybe checked 2 texts and 2 emails, and was between 13 and 17% battery drain. Went to sleep with my batter at around 50% and when I woke up it was dead.

There is no doubt in my mind that 1.4 has SEVERELY lessened my battery life. I'm not saying 1.4 is the culprit, but something is waaayyy different. I literally feel as if it ALWAYS has to be plugged in before I go anywhere.

I've also noticed that it seems like I always have memory issues. I've gotten the "too many cards" error more in the last few days then I ever have, and I believe something (more than likely a patch, since others aren't having problems) is the root of this cause.
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    1.4 the first couple of days, killed my battery. After it worked out the kinks, my battery is lasting almost a day and a half. Unless I play games! It use to only last about 12 hours. So I have seen a big improvement. I even turned my screen brightness up, because I can.
    I don't have any patches on my pre,and my batt actually serves me good,on youtube a lot,web,and also playing games.. I believe it's cause by patches,are a certain patch. Remember patches are from third party not webos.
    I used my phone for 2 txt msgs - 2 phone calls and surfed 2 webpages... rest of the time phone was idle.

FULLY charged as of 6:00 AM by 10:00 I'm down to %50 ...

Regular bat - on Bell 1.4
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    I don't have any patches on my pre,and my batt actually serves me good,on youtube a lot,web,and also playing games.. I believe it's cause by patches,are a certain patch. Remember patches are from third party not webos.
    I didnt reinstall my patches after the update. Ive had enough of Doctoring my phone after something messes it up. Maybe that why my battery life has improved!
    I am neither happy or disappointed with the battery life of my Pre. I have two Exchange accounts configured with push mail, 3G is on, GPS on, brightness is set to default and I get following values:

* Standby: 2% on average/hour
    * Standby with WiFi On (turns off on sleep): 4%/hour
    * Internet usage with Wifi On: 8%/hour
    * Music playing, Internet surfing at the same time with 3G: 35-40%/hour
    * Playing Monopoly with Wifi off: 25%/hour

These are not accurate values but rather the average that I get. It is certainly not bad, but I would like to see better battery when WiFi is on. Without WiFi I believe that my Pre has a good battery life.
    I removed my theme and a few patches and it seems my phone is doing a LOT better on battery life. Here are the patches I removed:

1. 4x4 v3 icon launcher
    2. Remove arrow and fade on launcher

Here are the patches I still have installed:

1. Audio/video attachements
    2. Battery percent and icon white
    3. Enable add/delete pages
    4. Enable hidden clock
    5. Read/delete all emails
    6. Virtual keyboard

My phone also seems a bit snappier since I removed the launcher patches and theme. Not sure if those are the culprits, but in my case it helped. Maybe try giving that a go.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    I think I'm going to have to doctor.

I left battery monitor on last night on my pre, nearly in standby mode, with VERY minimal usage... Maybe checked 2 texts and 2 emails, and was between 13 and 17% battery drain. Went to sleep with my batter at around 50% and when I woke up it was dead.

There is no doubt in my mind that 1.4 has SEVERELY lessened my battery life. I'm not saying 1.4 is the culprit, but something is waaayyy different. I literally feel as if it ALWAYS has to be plugged in before I go anywhere.

I've also noticed that it seems like I always have memory issues. I've gotten the "too many cards" error more in the last few days then I ever have, and I believe something (more than likely a patch, since others aren't having problems) is the root of this cause.
    I saw that you responded to my problem. My batt life seemed to stabilize when the updates for my patch place holders came in for 1.4. In other words, the shorter the list got for patches that needed to be updated, the longer my batt lasted.

I think those patch package places holders are what was killing me. All of my patches are up to date now and I got home after an 8hr day of work with 86% batt life yesterday. What do you think?
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Alright, I made a huge discovery today.

I read in another thread that a user thought the issue was related to WIFI. So last night I went out with only about 25% battery life remaining (went out at midnight, got in at like 5am) and my phone was STILL at like 10%. Before I left I had shut off WIFI because I knew I wouldn't be home (standard practice for me when I know I won't have a WIFI signal). I was astonished that it wasn't dead before I got home. (like it normally would be).

So today, I turned WIFI off while at home, and I'm getting around 3% drain per hour with very minimal use, compared to between 13 and 17% drain per hour with WIFI on.

I do have a very strong WIFI signal in my home, so that isn't the issue.

I have not doctored yet, but decided to do a little expirement. I'm going to use battery monitor to test my phone in 3 states: WIFI on, WIFI off, WIFI on (but set to turn off during standby). I'm going to test in 2 hour intervals and take a screenshot of battery monitor.

Even before this test, I have no doubt that WIFI is what is causing my drain. For there to be a 10-12% difference in drain per hour when WIFI is off, that seems like a huge cause for concern...

I'll post back in a while with the results!
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Have you tried the new sleep setting that turns Wifi off when the
    phone sleeps? It's made just for people with the symptoms
    you're describing, and we've mentioned it several times in this thread.

ian
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Ian, did you read my post? That's what I'm testing right now. So far it looks like WIFI on all the time is the culprit. The results seem to indicate that the WIFI off during standby is still not as good as WIFI completely off, but I'll post all 3 tests in about an hour when I get good enough statistics.
    Last edited by mfive; 03/06/2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: clarity
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Ok, Looks like I have this figured out...

It's important to note that these results are all based on a 5-bar EVDO signal. I'm assuming that a weak EVDO signal would alter these results, so take them as you will.

So, first off, the conclusion... Having WIFI completely off (even in an area with a very strong WIFI connection) is the best way to save on battery life. The next best way is to have WIFI on, but set to off when the phone is asleep (in the sleep settings). The most strain on battery life comes from having WIFI on at all times.

See the attached images for my results. They're not equal times, but they're pretty equal usage, except for the wifi one... I fell asleep (which is why it's 3.5 hours) so it was on PURE standby, where the others may have had a small amount of texting during those trials.

WIFI always on (even when sleeping): 13.23% DPH
    WIFI on (but off while asleep): 5.53% DPH
    WIFI off: 4.34% DPH

So there it is. My issue seems to be resolved by either having WIFI off or just set to 'off when asleep'. It still drains slightly more than having it completely off, but that 1% is a percent I can live with to have WIFI. :-)

I hope this helps all of you others that may be having an issue with 1.4 battery life as well. Can't wait to put this to the test tomorrow and see how my battery life is during a normal day!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uk-pre View Post
    Hi guys,

For the last week my Battery completely dies as soon as it hits 30% (check the drop in the graph at the end)!

It goes from 30% to 0% then the battery low pop-up alert shows. Unless I run it to the TS it dies there and then.

With this happening, it's been completely drained about 5 times then left of TS all night which shows an actual charge of 97%

I'm not expert, but I think you may be having a hardware issue with your battery. Do you have a friend's battery you could swap in to test it out?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    If you're going to keep running Battery Monitor app continuously, up the polling
    interval from 60 seconds, to 5 or 10 minutes. The battery monitor app
    actually calls a remote service at google to plot its graph, so at 60 second
    polling interval it's waking up whichever data radio you're using
    (EVDO or Wifi) frequently enough to increase the battery drain measurably.

So I'm curious. You had no battery drain problems with 1.3.5 at all?
    Because that's where the Wifi related battery drain issue first turned up
    for most people who have it, as that's when Palm first changed
    the default behavior of the Wifi radio. That's why I mentioned that all
    the way back in post #11 of this thread. For those of us to don't have
    a problem with Wifi causing high drain, we see the opposite of your results.
    Having Wifi on all the time, even while sleeping produces by far the
    lowest drain. I run < 1.5%/hr on Wifi, and 3-4% on EVDO.

ian
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    If you're going to keep running Battery Monitor app continuously, up the polling
    interval from 60 seconds, to 5 or 10 minutes. The battery monitor app
    actually calls a remote service at google to plot its graph, so at 60 second
    polling interval it's waking up whichever data radio you're using
    (EVDO or Wifi) frequently enough to increase the battery drain measurably.

So I'm curious. You had no battery drain problems with 1.3.5 at all?
    Because that's where the Wifi related battery drain issue first turned up
    for most people who have it, as that's when Palm first changed
    the default behavior of the Wifi radio. That's why I mentioned that all
    the way back in post #11 of this thread. For those of us to don't have
    a problem with Wifi causing high drain, we see the opposite of your results.
    Having Wifi on all the time, even while sleeping produces by far the
    lowest drain. I run < 1.5%/hr on Wifi, and 3-4% on EVDO.

ian
    Ian, I was able to leave it at 60 seconds, as I had no graphing, so battery monitor wasn't polling.

With 1.3.5 my battery drain was what I would say average. It was never like my post 1.4 upgrade (until now that I've swapped my wifi settings and it's much better).

I wonder why we have such different results?
    my battery life today was horrid. Not sure what did me in, but normally I am leaving work with 20-30%, since 1.4 its been 40-50%, today I woke up to a dead pre (fell asleep @ 40%) and its drained way too fast, It died around 11:30. I have installed some patches yesterday so I assume thats whats doing it. I forgot which ones but I am gonna try and sort it out. Would love an app that combines JSTOP with an estimator of what process is using about how much battery per hour....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    After 1.4, I had horrible battery life, which I never experienced before. Then, in another thread, I heard that the trick was to update your PRL (preferred roaming list) settings. You go into the phone app, click preferences from the pull-down menu, and update PRL settings. For good measure, I also dialed *2 and typed in my phone #, which is also supposed to update the PRL settings. And voila, my battery life is the best it's ever been. Give it a try!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast