Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Daemon is right. Go to the Wifi
    preferences and set the Wifi sleep option to turn off Wifi while Pre
    sleeps. That'll revert your Pre to pre-1.3.5 behavior which should help. It help my battery life greatly.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Here's my 1.4 Pre with Wifi enabled and sleep setting set to Wifi always on,
    2 polling email accounts and screen brightness set at 20%.
    Pretty much all standby except reading a couple emails.
    Over 21 hours off the charger.

ian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    it's been 4 days for me and i've been having wonky battery response the whole time - waking up to a 34% battery after a night on the ts, not getting above 96% even though it sits on the ts on my desk at work all day. it will be at 70% before i leave the house in the morning after maybe 2 text messages, at that.

also, the alarm doesn't work if the ringer is turned off now - ***?
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn pre View Post
    also, the alarm doesn't work if the ringer is turned off now - ***?
    In the clock preferences, do you have the toggle for "Ringer switch off: Play alarm anyway" enabled?
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Do any of the available patches drain batt life faster than usual? I'm experiencing shorter batt life after updating to 1.4 and installing the patch place holders until the updates were available. Im starting to think that there's a patch leaking power.

I've had my phone off the charger for 3hrs 20mins and replied to 5 texts and installed battery monitor while reading the forum and I've gone from 100% to 80%. Im not even at work where i would be reading and replying to email... Something's draining my power like crazy. But the life was great on 1.3.5
    Last edited by marvinmax; 03/04/2010 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Add on
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Other than the usual battery randomness for the first day or two after the update
    I've only experienced really high drain once since the update. That was
    after messing with the new Camera app's video recorder functionality. It
    flaked out and I ended up with a video file that had no sound track and then
    my battery drain went up to about 20%/hr with nothing at all running. I saw
    a stuck running "pulseaudio" process in unix which I killed but that didn't fix it.
    I killed everything else I could with JSTop and that didn't fix it either. Finally
    rebooted and it was back to normal.

I mention it only because there seemed to be a pretty clear correlation
    (didn't use the phone for anything else that day) and of course virtually
    everyone's been playing with the the video recorder.

BTW, I'm going on 44 hours of mostly standby since last charge
    and the stock battery is down to 37%. Seeing if I can make it to 60 hrs.

ian
    The battery on my wife and my Pixi are shot.

She consistently had 30-40% battery left at the end of the day. Now her phone dies every night. She is stock.

I took my phone off charge @ 9:15 this morning. By 11:30 I was at 40% with minimal use.

This is totally unacceptable.
    @thatguy
    take it to sprint and say yo new batt plz. they should give you one.

My battery's been much better since 1.4

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I think my battery woes are related to email. I switched my accounts to every thirty minutes, and I can now makeit to 4:00.
    did all of you try and reset your batterY? Its simple...let your battery die all the way off. connect to charger and let it charge all the way to 100 before taking off.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srt4sum View Post
    did all of you try and reset your batterY? Its simple...let your battery die all the way off. connect to charger and let it charge all the way to 100 before taking off.
    Yes, more than once...

Quote Originally Posted by rosenbaaron View Post
    I think my battery woes are related to email. I switched my accounts to every thirty minutes, and I can now makeit to 4:00.
    Mine is set to "as they arrive", and that hasn't changed. I would think polling every 30 minutes would be more of a drain. no?

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy7 View Post
    The battery on my wife and my Pixi are shot.

She consistently had 30-40% battery left at the end of the day. Now her phone dies every night. She is stock.

I took my phone off charge @ 9:15 this morning. By 11:30 I was at 40% with minimal use.

This is totally unacceptable.
    Agreed. At first I wasn't that irritated, but something is up now, and I know that better is possible, I 'm just trying to track down the root of the cause. Have you restarted in case you've got a memory leak somewhere that's draining your battery life?

Quote Originally Posted by marvinmax View Post
    Do any of the available patches drain batt life faster than usual? I'm experiencing shorter batt life after updating to 1.4 and installing the patch place holders until the updates were available. Im starting to think that there's a patch leaking power.

I've had my phone off the charger for 3hrs 20mins and replied to 5 texts and installed battery monitor while reading the forum and I've gone from 100% to 80%. Im not even at work where i would be reading and replying to email... Something's draining my power like crazy. But the life was great on 1.3.5
    I agree with you here. I think that it might have something to do with a patch after 1.4. Mind sharing your patches? Maybe we have some similar ones and we can narrow it down?
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosenbaaron View Post
    That is an old fix. Push email profiles (get email - as items arrive)
    is a known battery sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post
    Mine is set to "as they arrive", and that hasn't changed. I would think polling every 30 minutes would be more of a drain. no?
    No. "As they arrive" has always used more juice because it basically
    tries to keep the connection to the server open all the time.

We've talked about this since the very first Pre release and it comes up in every
    battery thread. I generally assumed most people here already knew that
    and had ruled it out. It's also why I always include the fact that I have
    "two polling email accounts" when I mention how good my battery life is.

Speaking of good battery life. I am about to put my Pre back on
    the charger after exactly 60 hours (2 1/2 days) of standby since the
    last charge. Started at 99%, ended at 16%. See attached.

The Battery Monitor app resets its timer to 0 every 24 hours, which is why it
    says 12 hours (last half of the 2 1/2 days). The 1.38%/hr drain is
    the average over the entire 60 hours though.

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 03/04/2010 at 02:39 PM.
    I noticed my phone isn't getting hot like it used to before the update, maybe it is saving some of the battery's power. I guess that's one good thing considering all the other problems its creating
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    @thatguy
    take it to sprint and say yo new batt plz. they should give you one.

My battery's been much better since 1.4
    I don't need a new battery , I need a stable OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mfive View Post

Agreed. At first I wasn't that irritated, but something is up now, and I know that better is possible, I 'm just trying to track down the root of the cause. Have you restarted in case you've got a memory leak somewhere that's draining your battery life?
    Only a million times.

Here is my battery monitor from light use this afternoon. I have 2 emails on 'As They Arrive' and I am in 1X.

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    For the 47th time, "as they arrive" (aka "push email") is a known battery sucker.
    Switch em to polling with a reasonable interval. I can't guarantee
    that it accounts for all your drain, but it's proven step to improving
    battery life which we've known from day 1.

BTW, you're always going to see higher drain at 1x data, because it means
    the EVDO radio has to be on longer to fetch the same amount of data.

ian
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    I've noticed that people in other threads are saying that they've noticed significant drains in battery with WIFI on... I ALWAYS have wifi on because I work at home, so 90% of my time I have wifi on with an excellent signal. I wonder if that and having "as they arrive" is contributing to my problems...
    Palm Pilot -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Pre -> Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by msaid View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but 1.4 was supposed to bring battery enhancements right? Strange how after the update my battery drained 20% in 30 minutes and that was without using high powered apps like youtube. Anyone else in the same boat and what possible fixes are there?
    I to feel the battery life on 1.4 sucks. Everyday it drains down to 30 - 20% with minimal use. I restart all the time with no success. Unbelievable.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    those of you/us having problems... do you all have patches installed? I'm really leaning towards maybe a specific patch(s) having problems after the update. So many people are saying that they aren't having problems, this is the only thing I can think of that could interfere here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    For the 47th time, "as they arrive" (aka "push email") is a known battery sucker.
    Switch em to polling with a reasonable interval. I can't guarantee
    that it accounts for all your drain, but it's proven step to improving
    battery life which we've known from day 1.

BTW, you're always going to see higher drain at 1x data, because it means
    the EVDO radio has to be on longer to fetch the same amount of data.

ian
    ian,

I understand, however, I have always ran push. 1.4 is far worse than 1.3.5.1.

I only receive 1X where I live, so I don't really have a choice there.

My usage/location has not changed since my update with abismal results.
    Charge was full, WiFi was on and connected when I left the Palm Pre intentionally off its charger all night. When I checked in the morning the charge was 77%. Is there a way to turn off the flashing light at the bottom of the screen? I'm not sure if apps were running or if they were not running with 1.3.5? Anyway I would like to fully charge and have a way not to drain, short of removing the battery? I am trying the full drain before full charging tonight. BTW, is there a device that allows charging battery not inside a Palm Pre?
    Thanks
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast