1.    #1  
    Gtalk will not work with Wi Fi...Has there been a fix for this? I got my pre June 5th and im on my 3rd one, same results on all 3. I can use Gtalk just fine when im on EV but never on wifi..
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maddball View Post
    Gtalk will not work with Wi Fi...Has there been a fix for this? I got my pre June 5th and im on my 3rd one, same results on all 3. I can use Gtalk just fine when im on EV but never on wifi..
    Interesting - I'm having this same problem syncing my calendar with Google Apps Premier, and only on wi-fi too - no problem on EVDO. I don't use Gtalk, but it's interesting that both our problems are with Google products and only occur on wi-fi. Palm has been unable to suggest a solution for me yet, and I've made it through several layers of support already....Maybe something with the upgrade to 1.4 will fix address our problems
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    Interesting - I'm having this same problem syncing my calendar with Google Apps Premier, and only on wi-fi too - no problem on EVDO. I don't use Gtalk, but it's interesting that both our problems are with Google products and only occur on wi-fi. Palm has been unable to suggest a solution for me yet, and I've made it through several layers of support already....Maybe something with the upgrade to 1.4 will fix address our problems
    Well lets hope for a fix with the update.. Ive been hopeful with ever update, maybe this one will do it for us..
    Just out of curiosity, is the WiFi problem at public hotspots? I don't know why it would matter with the calendar, but I do know quite a few public spots block VoIP type services for bandwidth reasons. If they work at home, you got me. Checked with your ISP?
  5. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is the WiFi problem at public hotspots? I don't know why it would matter with the calendar, but I do know quite a few public spots block VoIP type services for bandwidth reasons. If they work at home, you got me. Checked with your ISP?
    Thanks for the input, but for me, it's my wi-fi at both home and work, and I know no ports are being blocked at either because I'm in control of the network at work too....I actually asked Palm if it could be something with a port being blocked by my ISP (although I have different ISP's at work and home), and they indicated no because they say the calendar is checked over the same port as the e-mail and calendar (can anyone confirm if this is NOT true??), and because those work, it doesn't seem to related to that either.... I'm stumped Thanks for your ideas though!
    Take this with a large grain of salt........I added an event in Google Calendar and synced just fine over wifi. I did have issues with my old WinMo phone, it wanted to use port 8080 on wifi, which is generally blocked by ISP's, was a known alternate port for web servers on non-business lines. 995 should work fine, that's what Calendar should use, unless they changed it. I'm on Fairpoint, up in Vermont, if that makes any difference.
  7.    #7  
    Well, im always on a private network, home or friends.. Its been this way since the launce of the Pre. It makes me use sprint data when i dont have to.
  8. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Take this with a large grain of salt........I added an event in Google Calendar and synced just fine over wifi. I did have issues with my old WinMo phone, it wanted to use port 8080 on wifi, which is generally blocked by ISP's, was a known alternate port for web servers on non-business lines. 995 should work fine, that's what Calendar should use, unless they changed it. I'm on Fairpoint, up in Vermont, if that makes any difference.
    Thanks for the port info....I will check with both ISP's, but won't hold my breath
    Online Ping, Traceroute, DNS lookup, WHOIS, Port check, Reverse lookup, Proxy checker, Mail relaying, Bandwidth meter, Network calculator, Network mask calculator, Country by IP, Unit converter

Try that. Put in pop.gmail.com and port 995. That'll check if the port is open to you. There's a bunch of others, but that one actually worked for me right now.
  10. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Online Ping, Traceroute, DNS lookup, WHOIS, Port check, Reverse lookup, Proxy checker, Mail relaying, Bandwidth meter, Network calculator, Network mask calculator, Country by IP, Unit converter

Try that. Put in pop.gmail.com and port 995. That'll check if the port is open to you. There's a bunch of others, but that one actually worked for me right now.
    Thanks so much for your suggestions and assistance! They're much appreciated. I checked pop.gmail.com on 995 and 993, imap.gmail.com on 993 (what I actually use for incoming e-mail), and smtp.gmail.com on 465 which I use for outgoing, and all are indicated to pass....I figured as much though because the e-mail works with no issue on wi-fi....It's only the calendar that's giving me fits....Any thought on whether the calendar might be using a different server or port - that's my only guess at this point (even though Palm told me it wasn't the case)....
    Hmmm................the only things I can think of. If you set or switched your Google to work off IMAP insead of POP3, with SSL, you'll be running over port 993. Your work, I could somewhat understand, my old sales job at ECMM had free and outside emails blocked, they'd had too many sales made on high-end gear that wound up costing them money. Had to use corporate email only, so its entirely possible your work has the known suspects blocked (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail and the rest). Was like that back in the dark ages of dialup, too, when you paid extra for email. THAT didn't last long, but there was a point you couldn't access any free email providers on your residential dialup.
  12. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Hmmm................the only things I can think of. If you set or switched your Google to work off IMAP insead of POP3, with SSL, you'll be running over port 993. Your work, I could somewhat understand, my old sales job at ECMM had free and outside emails blocked, they'd had too many sales made on high-end gear that wound up costing them money. Had to use corporate email only, so its entirely possible your work has the known suspects blocked (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail and the rest). Was like that back in the dark ages of dialup, too, when you paid extra for email. THAT didn't last long, but there was a point you couldn't access any free email providers on your residential dialup.
    I'm sorry - you lost me. I didn't switch my Google to work off imap instead of pop3 - I've always had it working off imap, and that's what I prefer. One of the great things about the Google product, in my opinion, is the large server and the ability to leave everything on the server. I use imap via my PC and Pre. Regarding the work server, it's my business, so I have control of that, and we don't have such Google products blocked. In fact, the Google Apps Premier package IS my corporate e-mail. I'm sure the problem isn't a problem related to my ISP blocking access to Google because I'm able to access their services with no problem on my laptop via wi-fi, but not on the Palm Pre....That's why I'm wondering if the issue isn't maybe something related to the Pre using a different port for calendar items than that which Thunderbird (with Google Provider) uses. Does that make sense?

Thanks again for all your thoughts and insight. I greatly appreciate it. Any other thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. you might have, I'm open to them! Thanks!
  13. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Just an update - unfortunately the update to 1.4 didn't solve the problem

I did some checking, and it doesn't appear that the Google ports are any that are being blocked by my ISP's, so I'm still out of luck, but at least, for now, the syncing does work perfectly on EVDO. It's obviously some sort of port issue, but I can't figure it out for the life of me...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    Just an update - unfortunately the update to 1.4 didn't solve the problem

I did some checking, and it doesn't appear that the Google ports are any that are being blocked by my ISP's, so I'm still out of luck, but at least, for now, the syncing does work perfectly on EVDO. It's obviously some sort of port issue, but I can't figure it out for the life of me...
    Yep same for me after update. Everything works on wi fi but gtalk..
    Signed, Still confused..