1.    #1  
    Hello all. I know this is a bit noob of me and if there are other threads covering this already please flame me then give me a link

Here's my question. Every time a new update comes out I end up messing something up with my patches and having to webOS Doctor it back to stock. Then completely re do everything I've done. It's really annoying because I loose all my pictures and ringers along with it unlinking all my contacts and what not. Then I have to reinstall preware and find all my patches. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. If anyone could tell me the proper steps to backing up my Pre before I update I would be forever grateful! Thanks in advance!
    this issue has been fixed by the new aupt. now you can leave patches on when you update to a new version of webos and it shouldn't have any adverse effects. i do believe you still need to remove any themes, which you can just uninstall with preware. if you are not comfortable with leaving on the patches and risking the aupt not working then use EPR. go into preware the list of everything. search emergency and you should see emergency patch recovery. install and it will uninstall all patches and then uninstall itself. REMOVE ALL THEMES FIRST! i have had to do this a couple times so i know it works. search it on the forum. the last time i did it and then doctored my phone and when i reinstalled preware i was able to reinstall all of my patches that i had uninstalled but i don't know how it worked. i just ran epr and now i can't seem to figure out how to reinstall all of those patches at once without doing them individually. so if anyone else can help out with some pointers it would be much appreciated...hope this helps
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I agree with redrum0036 for patches: update to 1.4 without uninstalling them & use Preware or WebOS Quick Install to update patches en masse afterwards. The good folks here at PreCentral have tested this procedure thoroughly, and while exceptions/issues are bound to occur, you can at least try this update this way... and doc your phone afterwards if you discover you have issues.

If you go the route of uninstalling patches via EPR before the update, you'll have to install each one back individually after the update... no easy way around that.

As for backing up your data, the automated, built-in Palm backup lacks some fairly critical (IMO) functionality by ignoring profile components such as SMS messages & call logs. BUT, PreCentral featured a great article by Robert Werlinger on how to back up your profile data:

http://www.precentral.net/how-back-y...le-information

I follow those procedures at least weekly to maintain an updated copy of my Pre data on my PC. Just for good measure, I'll also plug my Pre to my PC as a USB drive to copy photos, ringers, & other important files as well.

I hope that helps! If anyone has any extra advice, steps, or corrections, please feel free to comment.
  4.    #4  
    You guys are great! That's extremely helpful. I'm glad to be a part of such a great community!
    thanks keoommen for the follow up advice and the link. I'm pretty new to this myself and hate to say i totally missed the other half of the post which as you say is a critical matter of backing up info. i have lost info myself thinking it was backed up to my profile or my pc only to find out otherwise. nothing really important, but a couple pics i would like to have , 2 or 3 phone #'s that for some reason didn't automatically back up via palm profile or google even though it backs up every night at 10:30 pm and as you said call logs and text logs. these are things that i think i took for granted on my treo 755p and would like to see addressed, but i'm not going to start bashing the pre on these things. i have been happy with the advances i've seen in webOS over the past few updates and love that we have a helpful community of developers and users to guide us along the way.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    No problem, guys... I'm just paying it forward. My Pre wouldn't be half as much fun (or functional) without all the great patches, apps, support, and advice I've gotten here.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    has anyone tried pulling their database file since the 1.4 upgrade? Mine used to be nearly 4 mb now every time I download it its only 32k..
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JBH613 View Post
    has anyone tried pulling their database file since the 1.4 upgrade? Mine used to be nearly 4 mb now every time I download it its only 32k..
    I have, and the change in my file size is negligible (2176KB to 2112KB). Try searching the forums for other threads. Maybe someone else has encountered the same issue.

I'll do some digging, too... just because it's bugging me.
    drkno,
    I usually plug my Pre in as a USB drive then locate it in the C drive. I "ctrl A" to highlight everything the Pre has stored and just drag it over to my PC in a file named "Pre Back-up" or whatever. Then, to restore, I hook up the doctor'd Pre and just drag everything right on over from the PC to the Pre. This will restore everything (pics, vids, music, etc...). Everything but Homebrew apps will backed up and restored.

Hope this was helpful
    There is no spoon
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but is there any way to back up all patches? I am doctoring my phone.