1.    #1  
    So, I recently had my phone stolen. I got a replacement, and decided to see if there are any phone tracking apps. That led to discovering "Where Is My Pre", which I'm now signed up for and using.

This also got me thinking... Even a thief of average knowledge will quickly learn that there are such apps, and will make a point of disabling them. It seems like there ought to be a number of solutions to that problem, but I don't know how feasible they are. I'd appreciate any thoughts from developers on the following:

1) Make an app uninstallable without a password
    2) Make an app invisible (no icon-- only accessible via universal search)
    3) Make the icon and name user-determined-- when the app is installed, the user can select (or create, such as from a photo) an icon and a name for the app. That way my "I'm gonna find and beat you, sucka!" app appears to the thief as "Falafel Restaurant Finder".
    4) Make a "false" uninstaller-- if the thief tries to uninstall the app via the "obvious" method, the device screams its electronic brains out via SMS, email, IM, etc, giving its location to you in as many ways as possible.

Are any of these possible with current tools? How about with Palm help? Obviously, in some cases, the thief will just pull the battery. If they're at all interested in expanding on their crime, though, such as by ID theft, these might be helpful.
    You can hide your app from the menu.

you need to be able to ssh into your phone

Code:
    su -i
    enter your password

Code:
    cd /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/name.of.your.phone.tracking.app/
    vi appinfo.json
    from there you want to insert
    Code:
    "visible":false
    preferably on a new line at the bottom and then save the file

restart luna and then the app is now no longer on your app list.

You could theoretically change any information in that appinfo.json and it should reflect on your app list and then also change the icon.png to something else as well.

hope this helps you in the right direction.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, it certainly does, in fact. Thanks for the great reply. I'd love to see options like this as standard parts of security- and recovery-oriented apps, but that's definitely a great way to go.

Am I correct that these changes would be undone by certain types of app updates? Not a big deal, really-- just want to know what to expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    If they're at all interested in expanding on their crime, though, such as by ID theft, these might be helpful.
    If that's what you're most concerned about, then log into your Palm profile and just do a remote reset.

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/console/

There's an "I lost my Phone" button if you hit Device Info. That'll wipe the phone clean.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    If that's what you're most concerned about, then log into your Palm profile and just do a remote reset.

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/console/

There's an "I lost my Phone" button if you hit Device Info. That'll wipe the phone clean.
    I did that on my stolen phone. Oddly, though, I wasn't exactly sure how to do it at first, so I contacted Sprint. They didn't even know it was possible. "What do you mean, 'remote erase'?" I found it while they were looking. Odd... Anyway, it was about half an hour from when it was stolen to when it was wiped. I've been checking email account "sent" lists... nothing odd yet. Good stuff.
    I think the OP would like to recover the phone if it happens again even possibly apprehend the person that stole the phone.

as for updates, it could be possible that an update would undo the customization, it really depends on how the update is applied to an app (I.E. certain files, or an entire replacement).

One thing i noticed though is that I had a beta version of cell stalker and since i hid the program, the app catalog would not see the program and attempt to update it, once I unhid the program i could update it and then i re-hid the program.