1.    #1  
    I have 83 patches installed and I am going to remove all patches and themes tonight and report what my next day is like with non of them installed. Anyone else who wants to participate is welcome, I think this thread could be interesting in showing not only the usefulness of patches but how far Palm has to go to create an out-of-box great(er) user experience.
    But...I thought with AUPT you don't have to remove your patches...themes yes, but patches no.

Of course, it would be interesting to see how we survive without patches...but we do have an option to make our user experience easier when it comes to updates.

Good luck on no patch friday! I only have 8 so it wouldn't be felt as keenly as for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpizza13 View Post
    I have 83 patches installed and I am going to remove all patches and themes tonight and report what my next day is like with non of them installed. Anyone else who wants to participate is welcome, I think this thread could be interesting in showing not only the usefulness of patches but how far Palm has to go to create an out-of-box great(er) user experience.
    83 patches??? Holy crap batman!!! I use less than 5! I think the more patches you run the more the Pre runs like crud...
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    i just uninstalled all my patches just to be safe for tomorrow (hopefully), but i only had a few install so i dont think i would be a very good research specimen. Good idea though.
    I just got a replacement Pre yesterday and have 0 patches installed. Can not wait for this update to hit and reinstall my patches.
    You no longer need to remove patches before an update. Thanks to AUPT we can update with the them installed, & then after webOS has finished updating the patches will be upgraded the next time PreWare is opened.
    I have 20 patches all removed, i'll wait to see how things go after this update before I will take a chance with leaving my patches on during an update. I'm currently still on my launch day pre and so far it's been working like a charm with no issues(cross my fingers). I hope to make it until the next palm device comes along or at least a year. If there's no new device I might have to get a win7 phone due to the zune software.
    Last edited by kinster02; 02/26/2010 at 12:52 AM.
    Umm, I could be thinking too hard, but I don't think green is doing it because of the update. I think it's just to see what it's like having a stripped down Pre...which is an interesting experiment. I only have 11 and some are too important for me to get rid of (who thought three pages was enough for apps?).
    Most important patches in my opinion:
    -Adding launcher pages (vertical scrolling is lame)
    -4x4 icons (3x3 looks silly and ugly)
    -LED Notifications (will not be necessary after 1.4)
    -Option to Download/Stream in browser (for offline mp3s, etc.)
    -Timestamps/Call Duration
    -Mobile Hotspot

Virtual Keyboard gets honorable mention (I would love to use it if it was faster)
    Should / Do we have to remove Preware?????
    Quote Originally Posted by puyobwoc View Post
    Should / Do we have to remove Preware?????
    To tell you the truth I've installed every update that's come out with patches installed and it's never been an issue, but it's really really not an issue this time with AUPT.
    well i screwed mine up with my dislexia, just got it all back stock and working perfect but it has no patches and i am gunna try to relearn how to use mine for a day or two lol im here with you, it really is like a different phone!
    Palm prē-ist.
    Anyone ever attempt to re-install 118 patches??????
    Quote Originally Posted by puyobwoc View Post
    Anyone ever attempt to re-install 118 patches??????
    I just watched person #6 with webOS 1.4 download 20 patches from the ipkg.preware.org server at a speed which indicated they were doing an AUPT update all ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I was not able to do an full update (about 81 patches) in the three times a tried to... always one of the "most important" patches didnt update :-(
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    A day without patches for me as well. I couldn't resist the full erase and webos doctor to clean me out before 1.4.
  17.    #17  
    24 Hours Without Patches (Give or Take), My Experience.

**I know you can use AUPT and you don't have to remove patches before an update anymore, I just wanted to do this experiment to commemorate 1.4 and all that the homebrew and dev community have done for this wonderful device. **

Yesterday I ran the emergency patch removal to erase all of them and removed my theme (Original Blue), which put my pre back to stock 1.3.5. Going to bed, here's what I noticed:

1. Could barely find my clock app because I'm used to 4x4 icons, and it had moved out of view.
    2. Even though I had 9 launcher pages still, not only could I not make new ones or delete them, I had to swipe between each instead of clicking the name at the top, opening a drop down, and selecting the page I wanted.
    3. Music and Nascar stared me straight in the face. No option to hide them, delete them, etc... you know how it goes.

::The Next Day (Today) ::

Naturally I spent my entire day opening precentral to see the 1.4 is available post, then the update app just to see if I could be the first one, so I used my phone a lot today.
    1. I couldn't tell the battery life at a glance, I had to bring down the dropdown and see the actual percentage (in this regard, however, palm wins, because with the bad battery life watching the number go from green to yellow to red is a sad, sad thing.)
    2. I could no longer toggle brightness, GPS, phone radio, or use the flashlight from that same dropdown menu.
    3. No more date in my top bar
    4. When I used calendar it defaulted to day view... why would I want that?
    ::Phone Calls::
    5. Dialing out was loud and lacked haptic feedback.
    6. My call log didn't have the durations (I don't think, don't hold me to that, my Pre is updating as I type)
    7. When I finished the call, the phone app stayed open, which is a pain because 99% of the time I'm done using it.
    ::Messaging::
    8. No time stamps or char counts in messenger = massive confusion.
    ::Internet Browsing::
    9. Files don't download as nicely.
    10. Always have to look at back and refresh buttons
    11. Try to type with slider open (obviously no VKB) and the screen rotated from tilting
    ::Misc.::
    12. PDF viewer clunky with buttons in the way
    13. After using 4x4 icons, 3 wide just looks like a waste of space. (worth mentioning again)
    These are just the first thought that come to my mind. in general the phone is very usable but just not as efficient or intuitive. Out of the box, unknowing of precentral and such I think I would still enjoy this device.

Maybe it is smart enough for mom after all.

Please post your thoughts and experiences on this topic, I could be much more specific but I'm lazy and I have an accounting midterm at 8:00 A.M. tomorrow.
    I also uninstalled my patches yesterday just to be safe.