1.    #1  
    I have now updated following many times in my Best Buy guide - Vantage Technology Magazine - so it's time to post an update here... And I guess it best to post this very general webOS "wish list" here, partly becuase it's beg Palm to finally fix the missing functionality and not in the "web OS Development" section, that mainly is for third part developers?!

WebOS is now the clearly best alternative, for most people - but the Personal Information Management functionality, got a lot worse since the "old" Palm OS and that is a huge problem, because a really smart PIM suite with excellent ToDo and calender functions, can really improve your life and that make it the most valuable part of a smartphone, if it work great... And if Palm finally begin to fix this limitations, can they also advertise "We make the best mobile OS even better" each time they update and not just use the updates as bug fixes... Then do I live in Sweden and we don't got the Palm Pre yet - so I could not test anything myself and that mean that some details below might be wrong or already fixed... So please email me - exe@telia.com - if something need adjustment... And that also mean that I maybe missed some more problems, that was very hard or impossible to see in screen shots and reviews... And I will actually not buy any device with webOS before most of the first 8 limitations below, are fixed either by Palm or someone else - because I simply don't want to pay for clearly worse functionality, than I already have with my "old" lovely Palm Treo 680!!

I read that many share my views, about following problems - but PLEASE comment this post anyhow, if you feel the same about ANY part... So Palm finally wake up, understand that people actually are very different (with dramatically different needs) and simply give us the vital options / settings, that only will make webOS dramatically better for heavy users and absolutely NOT make anything less fancy, if they simply let the current "look" be the default setting... Type Palm will only win, if they make "the best mobile OS" even better!!

01) There is still no complete desktop sync for every important Personal Information Management part, as ToDo lists with categories... Except if you are connected to an Exchange server... You can only back up automatically to Palm's servers, but without any option to edit your own text from your notebook... So complete desktop sync should actually be included in the box, as an alternative and offer sync through both USB and Wifi, plus maybe Bluetooth... And naturally include some kind of desktop application, so you can save and edit the calendar and tasks in your notebook... Now must you first buy MS Outlook (if you not have that) and a third party sync program, that not even handle ToDo lists... But palm have at least a migration tool, that help you move all your data (one way only) from an old Palm device and Palm desktop (or MS Outlook) to a new pre...

02) There is a lot of "elegant" waste of screen space and very BIG fonts, in almost every basic view... That should naturally be an option and absolutely not a default setting, you can't change... Because most people need just 25% more space, to max 50% more if you have huge finger tips, for accurate finger navigation (compared to a stylus) and NOT more than twice the space, to show the same text info... They should at least offer two slightly smaller font sizes (as options) at every view that now use huge fonts and also "less empty space" around the text - so you totally can see two or three times as much text - when you count both more letters, at each line and more visible lines... And that would anyhow be easy to navigate with average fingertips... Okay, the calender events have already small text (that not should get smaller) and many may love the new spacious design, with a lot of empty space and huge fonts... But there should naturally be some alternative settings - for everyone that have average finger tips, a lot of info in the smartphone and don't want to scroll like crazy... And it's especially very easy to miss vital info, if you can't see it directly, as in Tasks and Contacts... So I sincerely hope it will be possible to select two slightly smaller font sizes (where the fonts are huge today) together with much less empty space around the text... And the absolute best would be if you also can select that options separately for the tasks, contacts, email, calendar and messaging... And Palm can even offer five slightly different text sizes, with today's size in contacts as 4 and today's calendar events as size 2 plus a roman font, as an extra option... Because if some tightening NOT is possible, will the the big screen only be really useful for web browsing and that would be very very sad... Yes, you can now only see HALF the info in Tasks (without scrolling or missing vital stuff) even if the screen is much bigger, compared to my "old" Palm Treo 680 and that fact make Palm Pre practically useless for me!!

03) The included Task application seems to be almost worthless, because of five big usability limitations... -1- You can't see if there is an "extra note page" connected to the task... -2- It don't show the priority either... -3- You can now only select 3 priority levels (just as in Windows mobile and Symbian) even if it was 5 levels before... -4- The big check box steal a lot of valuable screen space and make each task line very very short, so it should be an option instead... If you have to show your boss what you done, is it better to move stuff you done to a "Done" list where it also is easy to see everything directly and where it not mess up the view of everything you still have to do... Yes, there was a check box in PalmOS too - but it become twice as big now and that make it a big problem! -5- The huge fonts and plenty of empty space around the text, make it only possible to view 6 short tasks without scrolling, instead of the 11 longer tasks that I can view on the much smaller Treo 680 screen and that is almost insane, when a simple setting / option could allow 12 task in Pre, with clearly more empty space around the text (for easy finger navigation) than before... -6- Then will task only sync with Exchange servers (if you have that) but not with Google, as example... But the lousy task management, can of course be fixed soon by Palm or in good time, with extra programs... And it support at least "multiple todo lists" as categories, so it work slightly better than simple Nokia smartphones... Then can you anyhow use the old PalmOS task application (that not have any of this limitations) with help of the amazing "Classic" emulator, instead of the crippled webOS version!!

04) The last BIG problem I found, was the fact that webOS not support any categories (as friends, biz, service and shops or whatever you like) in the contacts application any more - which are very bad news, if you have about 200 contacts and extremely inconvenient for people with a lot more than 600 contacts... Note that otherwise is webOS contact application clearly more advanced than before... And I expect there will be some even more advanced contact applications, with category functionality, pretty soon - even if that naturally should be included by Palm, from the start... Then can you actually use the old PalmOS contact application (that not have this limitation) with help of the amazing "Classic" emulator, instead of the otherwise great webOS version!!

05) In the calendar should you also be able to remove the fancy "empty time holder" completely, to free up even more space for real calender info!!

06) The "date picker" that help you select another day for an entry in the calendar, should naturally show a mini calendar (with dates and weekdays) as it was before and not just let you select days from a list, guessing what weekday that might be!!

07) The "universal" search don't search in the Calendar, any documents, in the message part of emails or Tasks* and that is very strange - it should at least be a two step search, with a "Search deeper in Pre" option, before Pre offer you to search in Google... Or even get a finer possibility, to select where the Pre normally should search... * But you can search Task, if you are inside.

08) There is no longer any "scroll bar" that show where you are, not even as an option and it should be a slim transparent indicator, that also show how big the actual view is of the total page.

09) Then do I also want the magnificent "floating event" functionality, in the calender (at least in a third party application) that I now have in DateBk6 so you can show vital events "that should be done today" and get them automatically moved to next day, every new day... But before you get this in a webOS application, can you use DateBk6 (made for the old PalmOS) that have this great functionality, with help of the amazing "Classic" emulator!!

10) The pretty "Memo" application is pointless (just as before) when each post is limited to just 4.000 letters and you anyhow have ToDo / Task and the Calender... And it is not possible to sync, so what you really need is a good plain text editor - that is easy to back up and open from your notebook, rock solid, ultra fast, has smart search & replace and handle at least 200 huge text documents of minimum 100.000 letters each, sorted in 12 folders... Including at least txt, html and hopefully some other file types... I sincerely hope (and guess) that someone will make a fine text editor, because a true Word document editor IS a lot more clumsy and slower to use, in a smartphone... But you can probably use the excellent old PalmOS application CardTXT that have the text functionality you may need and more, with help of the amazing "Classic" emulator!!

11) There is no multiple email management, so you have to delete or move each email separately and that should naturally be fixed... Even if you (maybe) can do that in Google email or outlook, instead? * And you can now "delete all" in the trash folder!

13) Then is the new program launcher, rather limited... You get only three windows, without any helpful category names - like main, games, web favo, friends, settings and extra - you get only a simple I to III style indicator at bottom... But you will probably be able to buy a more advanced launcher, soon... And you can temporary put your 12 main programs (that not is on the quick bar) on the first page, web favo's plus settings on the second and everything else on the last page... But there is now a free "patch" at www.precentral.net that add extra pages and two more, that show 4 or 5 icons on each row... And you can in addition use the old PalmOS application manager (that not have this limitations) for any excellent "old" programs, with help of the amazing "Classic" emulator!

14) Pre shuts down the phone, when you connect it as a USB drive and you have to enter your PIN to get back online.... Yes, that is one thing that even iPhone handle better.

15) You use right or left swiping to view another day and the same method to view another week, in that view... But you must swipe up and down in month view and that's just dumb!!

16) Some part of the ultra smart "Synergy" integration give you also trouble, because if you include your Facebook account will everyone you "know" there (you can't just select a few) be saved as contacts and that may result in ton's of contacts, you don't want in your smartphone - but it will probably come some extra program that "filter" that later and the other new "Synergy" contacts functionality, work like magic.

18) You can't change how many "message lines" you can see in the email preview.

19) Then might the ring signal be too quiet, but only according to 1 of 9 reviewers and another one say it's loud enough... And the alarm clock use now the ringtone volume, so it should be fine... Even if the alarm clock naturally have a separate volume!!

20) Pre work normally very fast, but there is a delay when you open new applications and no "hourglass" so you might sometimes wonder if something happen, the first times you open a heavy program... * But they do now show a "startup card" before an application open, since the 1.4 update and that should work just as good?!

This replace naturally my old version, that I did post here over one year ago!
    Last edited by vantechmag; 03/01/2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Spelling error, are from Sweden and two fixes, since update 1.4
  2.    #2  
    Don't be shy now... Yes, it is a huge post and some of this problems has been written about before, in several post and articles... But that only show that they really are very important for many users and naturally should be pointed out and repeated, until they are fixed!!!

And we are all different, so you don't have to agree with everything - just comment on the parts you totally agree about and maybe also on stuff you feel the same about ;-)

So Palm finally wake up, understand that people actually are very different (with dramatically different needs) and simply give us the vital options / settings, that only will make webOS dramatically better for heavy users and absolutely NOT make anything less fancy, if they simply let the current "look" be the default setting... Type Palm will only win, if they make "the best mobile OS" even better!!

And remember that most above is about extra OPTIONS so everything you like now, will stay exactly the same - even if some new option may become the default setting, so you simply can select the old way if you like!!

Yes, I wrote this list to finally get a better alternative to my "old" lovely Palm Treo 680 but also to help webOS to become the ultimate mobile OS it easy can be (it only need some vital options) and the absolute best alternative, for everyone!
  3.    #3  
    Two of the problems above got almost or completely fixed with the 1.4 update and I did also update the list above... So Palm does anyhow realise that some of my complains are valid, even if they didn't fix any of the first eight really BIG problems and even if nobody in this forum want to comment or just agree - which is very strange, because at least half of this problems has been reported in other forum posts and I guess that most of this problems ARE very important for many power users!!

12) You can't change the alert sound for emails or texts...

Become...
    12) You can't change the alert sound for texts... * But you can now change for emails, since update 1.4

19) Pre work normally very fast, but there is a delay when you open new programs and no "hourglass" so you might sometimes wonder if something happen, the first times you open a heavy program... But I don't know if that really need a fix or just some getting use to?!

Become...
    20) Pre work normally very fast, but there is a delay when you open new applications and no "hourglass" so you might sometimes wonder if something happen, the first times you open a heavy program... * But they do now show a "startup card" before an application open and that should work just as good?!
    Last edited by vantechmag; 02/27/2010 at 01:10 PM. Reason: From Sweden, so I write ugly English sometimes!
    I agree. Although I am sure there is nothing sinister with Palm Synergy, I prefer to have a back-up of my Pre on my own laptop than somewhere out in cyberspace. With Bluetooth that can be fixed, but all the Pre's Bluetooth can do is connect with audio devices. My Treo 755p uses Bluetooth to exchange files with my MacBook without a problem, yet the webOS can't do what the old Palm OS can?

I completely forgot about adding categories to the To Do/Tasks area and to Contacts! My Treo has categories in the Contacts for business, personal, medical, family, QuickList, etc. etc. Similarly, To Do/Tasks were categorized by personal, family, business, medical, household, etc., but on the Pre you can either create separate task lists and then there's one general list that combines all the tasks, without identifying the tasks' category. That should be an easy fix, no?

And I echo your sentiments on having a stylus for those with big fingertips!
    --------------------

Palm Pilot Pro > Palm IIIx > Palm V >
    Palm VII > Treo 755p > Palm Pre!

... and they're all still floating around
    my house somewhere, too...

--------------------
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by animemom View Post
    And I echo your sentiments on having a stylus for those with big fingertips!
    People (and you) seem to misunderstand number 2 about all the new empty space and huge fonts, which I see as the biggest problem with webOS and that's why I just rewritten that part above...

I guess they design everything (except the calender events) for GIANT fingertips and if you not offer any alternative, must they naturally go that way... But they should simply offer at least 2 slightly smaller fonts (where they now use huge fonts, not for the calender events) for everyone with average to small fingertips - so you can see just as much text (counting that you will get both more letters and more lines than now) as you can see on the much smaller treo screen, or clearly more if you happen to have small fingertips...

Now can you only see 6 short post in tasks (ToDo) compared with 11 longer post in my "old" Treo 680 and that is close to an scandal

To make it extra clear, with the much bigger screen (compared with Treo 680) can you make the text 23% bigger and show exactly as much text... And that will be big enough, to NOT have to use a stylus for anyone with average fingertips... And you can show the same text size as in Treo, for people with small fingertips... But now is the text and the empty space around about 110% bigger and that's plain silly, because only giants may need that space!
    Last edited by vantechmag; 02/27/2010 at 08:23 PM.
    06) The "date picker" that help you select another day for an entry in the calendar, should naturally show a mini calendar (with dated and weekdays) as it was before and not just let you select days from a list, guessing what weekday that might be!!

07) The "universal" search don't search in the Calendar, any documents, in the message part of emails or Tasks* and that is very strange - it should at least be a two step search, with a "Search deeper in Pre" option, before Pre offer you to search in Google... Or even get a finer possibility, to select where the Pre normally should search... * But you can search Task, if you are inside.
    These were two of my biggest gripes with webOS. And it is beyond ridiculous that yet another webOS update has been pushed out that doesn't fix either of these problems. I switched to Android months ago because of many of the things you noted in your OP. The sad truth is that Rubinstein and his ex-Apple minions don't care about PIM and classic PDA functionality. It's all about games, Flash support, and taking video with a camera sensor the size of a pinhead.