1.    #1  
    I can certainly understand that people aren't exactly excited about Palm's prospects and they are also afraid that WebOS won't have the success it deserves, but let's stop here and think about the whole situation for a bit. What other devices/mobile OSes are out there that are better than WebOS?

Ok, the iPhone has a big momentum and hype and everybody wants to buy one (or almost everybody). Its OS is not exactly better than WebOS but it does some things better than Palm's OS. Especially Multimedia and Games make people choose the iPhone instead of a Palm device.

Android? Well, I think that Android is ok if someone wants full customization but it also is a front end to Google's services on the internet. It has the advantage that there are many different devices for consumers to buy...Palm has only two devices and that only in the USA.

Windows Mobile? Well, the next version could be very special. Zune integration, full Exchange support and a nice user interface could make a winner. Let us just wait and see.

Where does Palm stand? I believe they need to further improve WebOS, bring more attractive devices on the market and make them available everywhere. If they are too small to do that, then please license WebOS to HTC!!! They can do that easily...

I enjoy using WebOS despite of some things that really frustrate me. Sometimes I think of abandoning it for another platform but when I try and think how I would like to use my phone, I see that apart from the iPhone (which I had and don't want to have again), there is nothing at the moment that gives me a better overall experience. I would love more functionality from the default apps but still I prefer WebOS than all the others.

Only Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 could make me change my mind, but till then maybe WebOS will mature and bring me the missing features.

Let's give Palm some credit for its OS and try to support them to make it even better. The negativity doesn't help anyone. We all (inlcuding myself) complain about Palm but really, have you looked at Android? They don't even support Exchange Calendars!!!
    We complain about delayed updates...Well, have a look at Android again...Every device has its own update schedule...Nice eh?

Windows Mobile should be better in updating over the air...

At the moment only WebOS supports OTA updates! Just remember that.

Google has put a lot of marketing power to make android successfull. Palm can't do that, so they need to get smarter. If I were Palm I would concentrate in the OS, bring one or two flagship devices and license the OS to third parties so that I wouldn't have to worry about worldwide distribution...
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Not interested in knocking the Pre or Palm, but the HTC Hero I have with Sprint handles the calendar, my contacts and email beautifully and without any failures. (I have MS Outlook synching through Exchange and no problems - however it does NOT synch with my Notes or To Do list - unless I put a To Do on the Calendar. I really do miss all the features we had with my old Treo 755P and Datebk V - somebody ought to pick up that one and bring it along to work with Web O/S and/or Android!!) Just wanted to correct the prior statement about Android not handling Exchange - it does it flawlessly!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by pbenson View Post
    Not interested in knocking the Pre or Palm, but the HTC Hero I have with Sprint handles the calendar, my contacts and email beautifully and without any failures. (I have MS Outlook synching through Exchange and no problems - however it does NOT synch with my Notes or To Do list - unless I put a To Do on the Calendar. I really do miss all the features we had with my old Treo 755P and Datebk V - somebody ought to pick up that one and bring it along to work with Web O/S and/or Android!!) Just wanted to correct the prior statement about Android not handling Exchange - it does it flawlessly!
    Then please explain me this: Does the Nexus One support a full Exchange sync (email, contacts, calendar, task)? - Google Mobile Help
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Clicked on your link and found this as part of the responses - I have no problems with mine and apparently this fellow knows it can be done too. Actually, mine was almost automatically set up, after I told Android some settings for my incoming and outgoing and of course - username and Password. Check it out - I have no problems as stated above.

I think, currently the Android platform does support Microsoft Activesync but its not a full implementation meaning that depending on your companies security settings it might work or it might not work. If your company requires something like remote wipe or device passwords then it will not work. If your companies polices are not that secure then it will work out of the box. Currently the solution i am using to get my exchange working for my company is a third party software called Touchdown. Its not the best solution but the author of this app knows what he's doing and is capitalizing on Androids failures with not implementing Exchange Activesync. People that like the phone and need to have work email on it are paying the money for this app just to receive there emails. Once you setup Touchdown and get the widgets on your home screen its a really good app even though its not native.

Kudos to the author of Touchdown who is probably a millionaire now because of the failed Microsoft Exchange Activesync implementation in all the android software.
  5.    #5  
    that is exactly what I am saying! Android doesn't have native support for Exchange. Exchange Calendars do not sync by default and a third party app is needed. Not only that but the 3rd party apps aren't even compatible with Google's own device!

I am just saying that we complain all the time about Palm, but what should we say about Google? Others have also similar issues...
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Not to beat this to death, but you apparently missed my point - my HTC Hero (which is my first and only Android phone) does synch using native Android and Activesync Exchange only - no other non-native app required. My only point was to try to correct your statement that Android doesn't synch using Exchange. Other older Android phones may require some outside assistance, but I can assure you the HTC Hero does it beautifully, all by itself without assistance from another outside app.) Have a good day!!
    It seems like every Tech site editor is a self proclaimed analyst Who "predicted the fall" of WebOS. Some are also quoting what previous CEO of Palm said about iphone back in 2007 and what current CEO said about iphone in CES 2010. Talk about beating when ur already down...it nasty out there.
    WebOS is the clearly best alternative today, for most people - but there is still good reasons to complain, when it easy could become dramatically better (for everyone) by just offering some smart options... As you can see in my post about "Vital webOS limitations Palm must fix" but if nobody dare to comment that post, may Palm never understand how important this "power user" options are!!

BB
    Geeks are the ones talking negatively about Palm. Why? It's not Apple or Google, and it doesn't have the best hardware out there or the most apps. Geeks love Android because it is open source; and you know what hearing about "open source" does to them.
    In the real world where normal people live, people don't care about hardware. Have you seen how many cheap computers are sold at Walmart? However, since obviously Apple and Google have bigger marketing budgets, and Palm has been very poor in that department; very few people know webOS.
    I could use an iPhone, but I don't want to pay the ridiculous AT&T rates or be subject to every Apple whim.
    If you own an Android, what version do you have? Do you have the latest version everyone is talking about or are you stuck with a 1.x? With a new device coming every couple of weeks, support have been shown to be very poor and a lot of compatibility issues are starting to surface. Best example: Google Buzz only ran on Android 2.0+. You with a Hero, sorry for you.
    I admit I'm not loyal to any brand. Therefore, I convinced a friend to buy an Android phone because she would have many apps and webOS didn't have that many at the time; and because if you go touchscreen you don't go back. She bought a Samsung Moment and I got my $25 from Sprint for the referral.
    Now, I regret it. The battery dies quickly because of all the background processes running that you wouldn't know are there unless you download a task manager from the Android Marketplace. There is no way to know you completely closed an app or if it's still running in the background. And to make it worse, I check if there's a firmware update since I guess Google should have fixed those issues in the latest versions; no firmware update available. Even Leo Laporte criticized that.
    So, I should assume the Droid and the Nexus One should suffer the same fate once they're no longer Google's darlings. Wait, you don't have to wait long, there is a HTC phone that is even better than the Nexus One.
    iPhone doesn't have multitasking and Android didn't have multitouch until recently, webOS have always had both. Also, even iPhone users envy the gesture area.
    So many positive things to be said about webOS. Since Palm, Sprint nor Verizon are doing their job, the negatives are the only ones heard.
    Yes, WebOS is clearly the best OS, but the implementation of Pre has a lot to be desired; it's a step backwards in many ways from my 755p. If you can say anything about Apple, it's they have learned it's not the OS or the device that makes companies money; it's the overall user experience. Long-time Palm user and the Pre user experience is poor. (ok, I'm a little bitter; so it goes when long-term advocates, get "new" products with less capabilities and lots of promises).
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)