1.    #1  
    So I'm thinking today. The leaked push date for 1.4 has come and gone.
    I don't pay too much attention to leaked dates but I was thinking anyway.

Since WebOS' release we've gotten quite a number of updates in a relatively short time considering how often updates come from other manufactures.
    Sprint has been "lax" on holding/testing updates and a bad update and a few bugs, which Palm fixed, has crept in.
    Now Verizon is in the game and it's accepted that they overly test updates causing them to be drastically delayed.

What may happen at this point:
    • Will all updates including to Sprint users be delayed while Verizon scrutinizes them?
    • Will Palm fragment the updates with Sprint getting fresh fast releases as we have been while Verizon gets an older more "stable" OS?
    • Will they meet in the middle somewhere?

I hate the thought that VZ could influence MY Sprint WebOS experience. I really hate Verizon.
    Palm probably wants to release all at the same time, especially for the chance a provider could find a bug that other's passed. So it'll just delay as long as a provider takes.
    We will all wait.
    Here is the problem. If Palm were to send out say 1.4.0 today and 2 weeks from now a different version for "V" which had a few minor changes say 1.4.1. That would mean that Sprint customers would have to update their phone again in only two weeks to 1.4.1. This way everyone is on the same page. I for one, would not want to deal with two updates in such a short time. Think of all the patch/ homebrew issues. I can wait even though I would rather not.

The sad part about having to wait on this update is that it has the Video Camera and will be enabled for the flash setup for Adobe. This is by far the most important update we may see on this phone.
  4.    #4  
    It's all speculation. Ex:

Sprint and VZ get 1.4 this week.
    There's a bug in exchange, easy target (:, Palm comes out with 1.4.1 in a couple days as has happened.
    VZ wants to test 1.4.1 before they release it. I don't know how long it takes for them to approve an update. Suppose by the time they do 1.4.5 is finished.
    It seems Sprint could get the 1.4.1 update, VZ could skip and both could be pushed the 1.4.5 update together.
    That is if the VZ testing doesn't cause a cascade effect which pushes all updates back.
    Personally (even though im awaiting my pre pluses arrival) i think it is better that VZW test out the updates. if it works fine on sprint i say let them release it when they want, and if VZW doesnt want it to be launched on their service because of a small bug or something, i say let VZW delay it but not delay it on sprint. Even skipping an update as one of you may have mentioned earlier, if 1.4 is buggy on VZW but not on Sprint, launch it on Sprint, and postpone the VZW launch, fix it and launch it on the both, fixed an possibly with new features, ect. so they end up on the same firmware.

keep in mind (i dont have my pre yet so im just assuming) most "firmware updates" are OPTIONAL. it may prompt saying, "hey bud ive got an update available!" but you usually dont HAVE to update if you dont want to. unless it is a nice big fix i usually dont update.
    Quote Originally Posted by thegameinformer View Post
    keep in mind (i dont have my pre yet so im just assuming) most "firmware updates" are OPTIONAL. it may prompt saying, "hey bud ive got an update available!" but you usually dont HAVE to update if you dont want to. unless it is a nice big fix i usually dont update.
    Actually, on the Pre, they aren't optional. You can delay it for a period of time and then it will auto-update
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    In the past, Palm hasn't delayed one carrier's update while the other carriers approve it. I don't know if that's different now that two of the carriers are in the US or what though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Actually, on the Pre, they aren't optional. You can delay it for a period of time and then it will auto-update
    However if you absolutely didn't want to update, I'm pretty sure I remember a way to not receive updates through rooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudementry View Post
    However if you absolutely didn't want to update, I'm pretty sure I remember a way to not receive updates through rooting.
    Yeah, you can patch something to disable updates completely.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    In the past, Palm hasn't delayed one carrier's update while the other carriers approve it....
    This is a good point.