Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Hello all - just wanted to document my experience with returning my Pre, and what I was/wasn't able to restore and how.

A few things to keep in mind: I'm pretty unix and script-savvy, but not so well versed on the deep inner workings of WebOS yet. Your mileage may vary, and I'm prone to include more technical data than you want to know...

First off, I installed and used DrewPre's (very still in-development) backup app from this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2213941

Once I got it working (I'm still not 100% sure how - I haven't been able to get it working on my new Pre for some reason) I ran a backup of Phone, Browser, and Applications data. Essentially, this just makes a big tar file and stores it in /media/internal. (See the previous link - I listed what directories it was keeping in the tar file.)

I used the directions at Backing Up via Rsync - WebOS Internals to rsync my Pre to a Mac server. This way I knew I'd have a copy of *every* file from the original should things go badly during the process.

When the new phone started up, I signed into my old palm profile and let it do its download thing because I wasn't going to be at a computer for a while and needed the contacts etc. Once it had finished, all was well - my contacts, calendars, and email accounts had been returned, with a few issues.
    * my email accounts needed the passwords entered. I intentionally skipped this for now.
    * there seemed to be a limit on the size of the app it would download for me automatically? The games I'd purchased didn't get downloaded automatically. I've since seen that I can find them in the app catalog and download them again for free.

Once at a computer again, I followed the directions to get PreWare installed, installed Terminal, and lastly logged in via USB and putty. Putting the new Pre in USB Drive mode, I copied over the backup tar file I'd made using the backup app.

I knew that PalmDatabase.db3 contains just about everything I was interested in: call log, txt messages, email account info and emails. In my telnet session into the Pre, I used tar -xvkf <backup tarfile> <filename or directory> to extract certain things from the backup tar file: /var/luna/data/attachments, /var/luna/data/emails, /var/luna/files (contact images), and /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3.
    I then held my breath and did a reboot. To my surprise, everything was back! Call logs, txts, contact images worked, email accounts were logged in and synched up. My browser bookmarks were even intact (although I don't know if I did that or Palm did that when I connected to my profile initially.)

Warning: If your cellphone number changed, you shouldn't copy over PalmDatabase.db3 unless you modify it first!!!! (The PalmDatabase contains info about your phone, which includes your current phone number. If that number is wrong, I have no idea what would happen, but I imagine it wouldn't be good... Anyone want to experiment?)

I used ipkg-opt to install perl.

I then used the script I wrote previously (at the bottom of this post: http://forums.precentral.net/general...ml#post2089380 ) to list and remove emails that existed in the buckets but not in the database.

A few other notes:
    * I didn't try brute copying patches. Instead I used the file from my old Pre at /media/internal/webos-patches.log to see what patches I'd had installed before, and used PreWare to install them again.

* I've only used the phone lightly since doing all of this. So far no issues, but its definitely possible something will show up later.

* I haven't tried restoring settings from any applications. Since I have a full copy of /media/cryptofs in the tar file from the old Pre, I should be able to restore settings, but that's just a theory for now. If I try it and have success, I'll post.

Anyone else have experiences to share? Other methods for restoring things?
    Last edited by tcurtin; 03/01/2010 at 11:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    A few additions:

If you use Drpodder, export your subscriptions, and import them on your new Pre.

Copy each launcher page by taking screenshots of each page so you can easily remember your layout.

If you use Classic, backup it up under Options in Classic. Then backup the USB files for Classic. Copy the USB files back to the New Pre and Restore the Backup. Your Classic will look identical on the new Pre. You'll need to notify MotionsApps via their website of your new Pre.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Thanks for the additions! I'm happy to say that you might not have to do the snapshot of each screen thing. I have six pages in my launcher, and I'm even using the named pages hack. The pages and their layout are back. (I think even before I swapped in my old PalmDatabase. After reapplying the named pages hack, even the names had been saved.

So far I haven't run into any other issues yet...
    After I restored my PalmDatabase.db3, I can no longer send or receive mms. There are a few others that have had this problem, and I haven't seen a solution yet. Does mms work for you?
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I'm happy to say that I don't have any issues sending mms. (I sent one this morning with an image in it, and know it was properly received.)

Out of curiosity, what symptoms do you have? (Does it refuse to try sending, does it look like it sends, but the recipient never receives anything, is there an error message, etc.) There are a couple possibilities I can think of for why you might have had trouble:

The PalmDatabase file contains information linking emails (and probably mms) to their full versions, that live in /var/luna/data/attachments and /var/luna/data/emails. If you only copy PalmDatabase, but not those files as well, now you have a database pointing to files that don't exist. I expect that would confuse things some...

The PalmDatabase contains info about your current cell account (phone number at the very least, possibly other things as well - I haven't spent much time looking at this.) If your cellphone number changed, you shouldn't copy over PalmDatabase.db3 unless you modify it first! I'll make this addition to my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by ig88b View Post
    After I restored my PalmDatabase.db3, I can no longer send or receive mms. There are a few others that have had this problem, and I haven't seen a solution yet. Does mms work for you?
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Also, I've used the phone quite a bit since the switchover, and I'm happy to say I still haven't seen any ill effects. One thing I haven't messed with yet - there are a few apps (a couple games, workout tracker, mileage app) that I'd like the saved data back for. Not sure how, but I assume it will involve pulling things out of /media/cryptofs... Once I try, I'll report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post

Out of curiosity, what symptoms do you have? (Does it refuse to try sending, does it look like it sends, but the recipient never receives anything, is there an error message, etc.) There are a couple possibilities I can think of for why you might have had trouble:
    There are no error messages, they act like they sent but just don't. There's no error message.

Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    The PalmDatabase file contains information linking emails (and probably mms) to their full versions, that live in /var/luna/data/attachments and /var/luna/data/emails. If you only copy PalmDatabase, but not those files as well, now you have a database pointing to files that don't exist. I expect that would confuse things some...
    I didn't backup that folder, just the PalmDatabase. The actual attachments are stored on /media/internal/.attachments/mms right? I'm curious what's stored in /var/luna/data/attachments. You obviously know more about what goes on in PalmDatabase than I do, any ideas how I might go about fixing this without losing all of my messages?
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I ran into a problem where copying the palmdatabase from my prior phone caused every calendar entry to appear 19 hours early on the Palm, but appeared perfectly fine online in Google Cal. Only fix was to doctor the phone and lose all text messages. See the thread here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...43#post2274143