Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm just wondering, why a lot of developers don't distribute their free apps worldwide, including europe and especially including non-english-speaking countries?

What is the point? Do you think we don't speek english in Germany or Spain?

I feel, that EVERY app is worth beeing distributed, so I can have a look for it. And maybe I really don't understand the language it uses (e.g. spanish) but I can have a look at the app in general. And don't forget A LOT of people DO speak a lot of languages, even if they are not native-speakers.

So...I just don't get the plot for not releasing free apps worldwide!!

=> Hey developers: Distribute your free apps worldwide even if they display another language!!!
    Well I know one problem is (or was--it's been a while) that when you submit an app, it defaults to US only unless you specifically change it. Another problem is that some apps (such as Pandora) cannot distribute outside of the US for legal reasons. But I agree, if there are no hangups, please distribute your free app everywhere!
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    I released my app world wide. For two reasons:
    1) More people get to try it, I don't loose money by giving out the free app to more people.
    2) My free app is a demo, but also has some Admob ads, more countries=more money. Easy choice
    Most apps are paid, so cannot go anywhere else yet. That will be changing next month. But, many are also "Lite" versions of paid apps. They do not release to other countries to avoid the bad reviews from those not realizing they cannot upgrade due to Palm -- and not due to any issue with the developer. And as edgar stated, some are just not possible with licensing restrictions.
  5.    #5  
    the new Preware-Update shows you, that there are A LOT of free apps not released for Countries not english-speaking.

I really feel, that the point is not europe/paid but the language.

Even beta-apps get this treatment.

That situation is not only annoying but making the Pre somewhat less interesting. One main purpose of having it are Apps and so they should in general be available everywhere and not country-bound.

Palm really should change their mind on this issue and default to worldwide distribution.

I would welcome more developers telling us why they don't release their apps worldwide!
    From what I've heard Palm app program has had its fair share of growing pains and web portal bugs; things like devs specifying apps for worldwide distribution, but the system not recognizing the change.

I strong encourage devs to share their free apps with the rest of the world, regardless of whether they're english-only or not
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I think one of the biggest issues is that many American's can't see past the US border.....thus the idea doesn't even cross their minds.
    Yes, itīs irritating when you see a really interesting free app in Preware and you canīt download it. And the worse is that the coming of the paid apps to Europe wonīt fix that.

Itīs really a shame, and difficult to defend when you see the Apple Store, Android Market...

Please Palm, fix this. Once and for all.
  9.    #9  
    I started to write mails to developers of apps I cannot download but this is a battle I cannot win...there are too much of them.

do you think there is a chance to get Palm to release a mail to their developers that they should distribute their apps worldwide as far as possible?
    I perfectly agree!more than this when at first i had problems on the app catalog and i was able to see just few apps i was even complaining a lot with Palm for this...then i got to discover that it was just a matter of a click away developers' choice....so i also wonder where is the point of not releasing all free stuff openly.
    More than this, at least one of the app i downloaded is on purpose openly distributed for free outside-us in its full version, till market comes to europe as well...this is a strategical choice! come on developers, give a hand to spread the webos good!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i spoke to one developer who told me that he'd submitted an app TWICE for international, and ticked all the boxes, and palm still only made it u.s. is this right? Or is he getting it wrong?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    100% agree - wrote Palm several times to change there app catalog app release workflow. so until then - try this one: http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2238933
    Another reason is laws. Different laws place different limits on what apps can do and where they go, free or nort
    europeans understand american english
    lol
    Many developers may just be dumb, so they not understand how to submit apps for worldwide distribution... Or as somebody else wrote...

"I think one of the biggest issues is that many American's can't see past the US border.....thus the idea doesn't even cross their minds."

Then may some hate Europe and Asia, so they only will give free candy to people living in the USA even if that hurt the webOS community!

BB
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    quote: "I think one of the biggest issues is that many American's can't see past the US border.....thus the idea doesn't even cross their minds."

i don't want to say anything racist, but i feel that there are many american businesses that have this attitude. really they only hurt themselves. i have money, i'm willing to pay them money. if they don't want it... who loses?

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
  17.    #17  
    they loose...twice!

first, they don't earn money due to downloads
    second, they don't earn money due to winning the Palm contest

why are no developers posting here, defending their distribution-policy??
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i'm wondering the same thing rot.

Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    why are no developers posting here, defending their distribution-policy??
    Sorry, but I just can't agree with that. While I do wish more developers would open their free apps to all available countries, it is ultimately their decision. They don't owe anyone an explanation.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Seeing that on supported networks outside US, like UK and Germany and Spain, there have been released versions of 3D games, but i cannot see any of these games in my app catalog being in an unsopported network, i guess the app catalog won't be completely open to everybody in March, but just to the supported countries....
    ....am i getting it right? where is the reason for such a strange policy? How is it then supposed webos to diffuse and gain share on the market if there are such limitations? what if relying on distributing policies of developers doesn't seem to spread apps around the world, but just relegate them in specific countries, mainly US? Shouldn't Palm just set apps available worldwide without letting the choice to developers?
    I mean...i don't get what a developer gains in letting his app accessible only in 2 countries instead of letting it open to everywhere....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast