Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I get the idea that it is more to do with Palm than developers, but in some cases it could be the other way.
    from where did u get that idea?
    cause since i can see the app after palm had solved a bug preventing outsiders even from seeing the catalog, the only thing that makes an app appear on my catalog is the developers regional choice in the submission process. i even asked some developers to get access without regional restriction to their apps and apparently they even weren't aware of having to set this parameter somewhere....

so, maybe palm has not communicated correctly how the submission procedure works, or maybe developers don't care about resetting this parameter to allow for worldwide distribution. or even both together.

only chance possibly is to have palm set a default to worldwide distros?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by memfel View Post
    so, maybe palm has not communicated correctly how the submission procedure works, or maybe developers don't care about resetting this parameter to allow for worldwide distribution. or even both together.

only chance possibly is to have palm set a default to worldwide distros?
    Definitely, worldwide should be default + as workaround, developers should be made aware of their choice!

Trying to contact precentral to get this problem on the front page...
  4.    #24  
    front page didn't work...seems, admins here don`t feel this as important... :-(

What I found out using ipk-fetcher is, that there are MORE THAN 500 free apps NOT AVAILABLE in app catalog for Germany.

Devs/Palm, are you on drugs!?
    how many apps do u see in Germany? are u using official o2 sim? here in these days i see some 330 apps, all free of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    What I found out using ipk-fetcher is, that there are MORE THAN 500 free apps NOT AVAILABLE in app catalog for Germany.

Devs/Palm, are you on drugs!?
    There are more than 300, you have to exclude Germany. 500 is the overall number.

In addition, there's no point in insulting developers. I don't think most of them are that narrow minded to not release free apps ouside of their borders. Someone said developers take the choice they have and don't have to defend themselfs... true. It's Palm's turn now to move and make a decision on how they are planning to handle this in the future.. or at least to make a statement.

I can repeat myself over and over again: I DO see people selling their WebOS device and buying Android, because of the geo filtering. Or some are not even considering buying a Pre. In the long term, this is much worse for Palm and developers equally.
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
  7.    #27  
    270 apps on the official catalog atm with O2 GSM Pre on t-mobile.de

sorry, if I wrongly remembered the numbers. Thought it have been 500 with germany already excluded.

But that doesn't change the plot. Which is, that many developers don't care about this issue. Others actually get worldwide distribution to work, so they should too. Maybe they should use another browser when checking the options or something easy like that.

think the main problem lies with the developers not caring. second problem is palm not caring for developers not caring. :-(
    I still believe you are aiming your anger at the wrong people. Even if you convince every currently active developer, this problem will persist in the long term if Palm won't do anything about it.
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
    Now the Palm desktop (Palm OS) as the conduit shouldn't matter, but why could we get apps from websites from anywhere to anywhere in the old PalmOS days? Have huge legal hurdles sprouted in the past several years? It seems, using the logic "it used to work", that borders shouldn't matter. I mean I can still download PalmOS apps here in Taiwan, so I think this whole issue should be a non-starter.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Say Yes to International Fart apps!
  11. 2xs
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    instead of tagging countries you want to distribute to, ones should untag countries which may not be supported e.g. b/c of legal questions.
    current devices: PRE+
    270 apps on the official catalog atm with O2 GSM Pre on t-mobile.de

sorry, if I wrongly remembered the numbers. Thought it have been 500 with germany already excluded.

But that doesn't change the plot. Which is, that many developers don't care about this issue. Others actually get worldwide distribution to work, so they should too. Maybe they should use another browser when checking the options or something easy like that.

think the main problem lies with the developers not caring. second problem is palm not caring for developers not caring. :-(

I agree. I guess that if the submission process is clear enough to get 300 free apps arrive also outside US and official countries, then it should be as easy also for the rest of the free apps and devs to set the choice the same way.
    Of course the choice of regional settings that Palm has done is maybe not a great one, and for that i already set my complaints to their support too, many times. But I also think developers should push Palm to get their apps everywhere....i'd say it's also in their interest, or maybe it's not?

For the apps count: bizarre how i have more apps than u even if i am in an unofficial country and even on an unsupported network (it's not in the carrier db file, so i even have to add it!).
  13.    #33  
    folks...there is really NO SINGLE DEVELOPER discussing with us here, BECAUSE:

As I submitted my very first app for webOS, I encountered something unbelievable:

Woldwide distribution is default!!

The developer has to UNCHECK EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY NOT releasing to. There is even a "other" checked per default, for areas where the Pre gets not sold actually.

So...we discussed some useless thoughts...I repeat: WORLDWIDE IS DEFAULT!

This means => excluding a country is an intentionally done click for each to remove!

Mahhh, DEVELOPERS, STOP DE-CLICKING COUNTRIES!!!
    folks...there is really NO SINGLE DEVELOPER discussing with us here, BECAUSE:

As I submitted my very first app for webOS, I encountered something unbelievable:

Woldwide distribution is default!!

The developer has to UNCHECK EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY NOT releasing to. There is even a "other" checked per default, for areas where the Pre gets not sold actually.

So...we discussed some useless thoughts...I repeat: WORLDWIDE IS DEFAULT!

This means => excluding a country is an intentionally done click for each to remove!

Mahhh, DEVELOPERS, STOP DE-CLICKING COUNTRIES!!!
    I guarantee it was *not* always that way. Quit assuming the developers are doing it on purpose. Palm's app catalog was in *BETA* when it was introduced. That means it wasn't done baking, had unknown bugs they wanted people to help them find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I guarantee it was *not* always that way. Quit assuming the developers are doing it on purpose. Palm's app catalog was in *BETA* when it was introduced. That means it wasn't done baking, had unknown bugs they wanted people to help them find.
    It wasn't like this so i agree with u one cannot say it is always devs choice, or it has always been dependent on devs choices. But now, if as i said, if i can get some free apps, while some others i even cannot see, this seems to finally depend on someone's choice, isn't it?

nice to consider, however and again, that the 3 EA games available for free in official countries before paid apps will land here too, are though not available in unofficial countries, therefore they unclicked "others"....thx on that to palm...the devs...or both together.
    funny thing, the facebook app beta is not available in germany.. thats just great beta testing.. so the final app will be the beta app for all outside US
    who cares if formatting and so on is off in other languages..
    p.s. my pre is english anyways
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12