Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 60
  1. #21  
    sucsess
    Last edited by ericizzy1; 04/24/2010 at 12:05 PM.
  2. #22  
    so weird that the file is blank for me. Can't get it...
  3. #23  
    Voila! I finally got it to work ... and it works like a charm!!!

    Not sure what I was doing wrong, but I finally got it right.

    This is SWEET! Great help, great tutorial, SqyArc!
  4. #24  
    I can't believe more people have not found this functionality and great tutorial. This is so easy and easily-customized.

    I'm bumping this in hopes that more people will have an opportunity to see and use this great find.
  5. #25  
    Good Stuff!!!!
  6. #26  
    Still in love with this feature! Changed my dictionary once again.
  7. #27  
    Yes, this is so slick. I update my dictionary at least once a week with new shortcuts.

    Great tutorial, easy to do...
  8. #28  
    If I was to save a blank file to my pre, would it disable the auto correct feature?
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphex13 View Post
    If I was to save a blank file to my pre, would it disable the auto correct feature?
    Have not done it myself but I believe it does have that effect. Just remember to make a copy of the original dictionary that you receive.
  10. #30  
    This will be fantastic! I'm coming from a Blackberry, and actually having to type every single character is just sooooo last century ;-)

    The directions are perfectly clear but didn't work for me. The phone has developer services turned on, and WebOS Quick Install is showing all the expected screens.

    However, when I type in the US filename and click the button, I get an error message that no device is found. I've tried it both as Just Charge and as USB Drive. However, I have to restart WOSQUI each time because it hangs waiting to find the phone.

    I have a Palm Pre+ on AT&T, and selected these options in the appropriate dialog boxes. (I hope?)

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by antigone314 View Post
    This will be fantastic! I'm coming from a Blackberry, and actually having to type every single character is just sooooo last century ;-)

    The directions are perfectly clear but didn't work for me. The phone has developer services turned on, and WebOS Quick Install is showing all the expected screens.

    However, when I type in the US filename and click the button, I get an error message that no device is found. I've tried it both as Just Charge and as USB Drive. However, I have to restart WOSQUI each time because it hangs waiting to find the phone.

    I have a Palm Pre+ on AT&T, and selected these options in the appropriate dialog boxes. (I hope?)

    Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Go to wosqi, options, device management. Does your pre show up?
    Have you used wosqi to install things before?

    Is the error 'no device found' or 'no file found'
  12. #32  
    For those of you who, like me, hate plugging your phone into the computer and putting your phone in dev mode I have an alternative method. You can do this directly from your phone. Remember by following these instructions you are fully responsible for any problems that may occur

    1. Install Terminus from Preware. (Allows access to the phones linux command line) Then open the program from the launcher.

    2. Change the directory you are in to the directory with the autoreplace file by typing: cd /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/ or /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_gb/ [hit return button]

    3. Make the directory writable by typing: mount -o remount, rw / [hit return button]

    4. Make a backup of the original file by typing: cp text-edit-autoreplace text-edit-autoreplace.orig [hit return button]

    5. To edit the file type: vi text-edit-autoreplace [hit return button]

    6. To edit the file use the commands taught at this website: Basic vi Commands (where it says hit esc swype back on the gesture area)

    7. Once you are done editing the file as you wish type: mount -o remount, ro /
    [hit return button]

    8. Exit the program and restart the phone for the changes to take effect.
  13. #33  
    The fourth time's the charm. Had to redo the step to get the software to see the Pre'. :: sigh ::

    Thank you, everyone!
  14. #34  
    ok, time for my next newbie question. what's a "luna restart"?
  15. #35  
    So I used this tutorial and really had no problems:

    forums.precentral.net/general-webos-chat/231763-advanced-tutorial-view-edit-autocorrect-dictionary-free.html
    (Sorry I couldn't include the http to link it because I don't have ten posts at precentral yet!)

    However, when I attempt to edit the text-edit-autoreplace file none of the custom commands that I enter work? When I save the original file from my device and then view it as a text file the format is basically..........ttyl|talk to you later.......yet when I add this to my text-edit-autoreplace file and send it to my pre, it doesn't work. I would like to add the shortcut commands, but cant seem to get the edits to my file to work on my device?

    In the text file (which I don't save as a .txt) the commands are all separated by what appears to be a square 0 or O, but I haven't been able to figure out how to reproduce this letter/input on my keyboard? Is this a special character of some kind? I downloaded and saved the google 15K and 5K word dictionaries as well. The format for the code on those appears as ,beleive|believe......enter, then comma-incorrect spelling|correct spelling-enter and so on. I can't get the google dictionaries to work when I send them to the pre......so I assume there is something wrong with that format that my pre isn't reading correctly.

    I understand the basic program code is misspelled word|correct spelled word........or shortcut|long phrase.......but what is the input in between each set?

    Please help, because I need to get these shortcuts working for email and messaging........I can tell how much those that use this function love it.

    Also, I realize there is an app called autocorrect edit that will help do this as well, but I'm not sold yet on the app.......nor do I feel its likely worth five dollars if you can just do it yourself. Please help me figure out how to add this functionality to my phone.

    Thanks in advance for your help..........nobilo.
  16. #36  
    Welcome to Precentral!

    I edit the autoreplace file manually myself. 1) Get Notepad++ - much easier to use for this purpose (no need to worry about those carriage return symbols). 2) Make sure you don't save it as a text file (no .txt). 3) Make sure you send the file to the correct directory. 4) Most importantly, reboot your Pre for the changes to take effect.

    PS. I use it for shortcuts all the time.

    Let me know if you still have questions.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by nobilo View Post
    So I used this tutorial and really had no problems:

    forums.precentral.net/general-webos-chat/231763-advanced-tutorial-view-edit-autocorrect-dictionary-free.html
    (Sorry I couldn't include the http to link it because I don't have ten posts at precentral yet!)

    However, when I attempt to edit the text-edit-autoreplace file none of the custom commands that I enter work? When I save the original file from my device and then view it as a text file the format is basically..........ttyl|talk to you later.......yet when I add this to my text-edit-autoreplace file and send it to my pre, it doesn't work. I would like to add the shortcut commands, but cant seem to get the edits to my file to work on my device?

    In the text file (which I don't save as a .txt) the commands are all separated by what appears to be a square 0 or O, but I haven't been able to figure out how to reproduce this letter/input on my keyboard? Is this a special character of some kind? I downloaded and saved the google 15K and 5K word dictionaries as well. The format for the code on those appears as ,beleive|believe......enter, then comma-incorrect spelling|correct spelling-enter and so on. I can't get the google dictionaries to work when I send them to the pre......so I assume there is something wrong with that format that my pre isn't reading correctly.

    I understand the basic program code is misspelled word|correct spelled word........or shortcut|long phrase.......but what is the input in between each set?

    Please help, because I need to get these shortcuts working for email and messaging........I can tell how much those that use this function love it.

    Also, I realize there is an app called autocorrect edit that will help do this as well, but I'm not sold yet on the app.......nor do I feel its likely worth five dollars if you can just do it yourself. Please help me figure out how to add this functionality to my phone.

    Thanks in advance for your help..........nobilo.
    I don't quite understand what you are saying with the commands, when I open up the file I get no commands just basically a file looking like:
    incorrect|correct
    incorrect|correct
    .
    .
    .
    .
    my choice short hand|long hand

    Just add what you want at the bottom or put as alphatbetical if you like.

    If you follow sqyarcs post properly then I don't see where you can go wrong.

    I will also ask for this post to be merged.

    Pip
  18. #38  
    Just download the app Internalz(from Preware) and edit the file yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  19. mktrek's Avatar
    Posts
    45 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #39  
    Internalz is fantastic! I edited my file and it worked great!!
    MKTREK - Handspring Visor Blue, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 750, Palm Pre
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  20. #40  
    Also, please note that the AutoReplace Dictionary is now backed up in Save/Restore!!! so you can easily backup you dictionary and reset it after a webOS update!
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

    Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

    Like any of my work:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions