1.    #1  
    Here is some food for thought regarding why there is not native visual voicemail for WebOs.

Each carrier has their own customized PBX and control systems which handles voicemail. As you can imagine this creates quite the conundrum when trying to create a universal solution to interface into all these custom systems. It is not by coincidence that the phones that have native visual voicemail are carrier specific phones (iPhone on AT&T, Instinct on Sprint, BB Storm on Verizon, etc). If you remember when the iPhone first launched AT&T had to make some substantial system and network changes to support visual voicemail.

WebOs although exclusive with Sprint for a period, has always been envisioned for multi-carrier phones. Creating a native visual voicemail that could interface into each of these systems would require allot of work not only by Palm but by the carrier to support this.

Fortunately there are 3rd party services that developers have embraced such as YouMail and Google Voice to solve this issue. Personally I would be very surprised if WebOs ever gets native visual voicemail. Palm is resource starved at the moment and will continue to be for quite some time. The amount of effort it would take to integrate they just can't support. True once integrated they are good to go, but now you have to maintain all these different flavors of integration and and just becomes a nightmare. So even if Palm wasn't resource starved, I would still find it unlikely that they would go down this path unless the carriers define some sort of common interface spec.

I could be completely wrong as this is only speculation, so let's hear your thoughts.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    I think they are just too lazy to change. They might have realized it and that was the reason they took off the voice mail forwarding charge.

I'd rather use youmail anyways.
    My pre is like caffeine. If I don't have it in the morning I think something is wrong with me, and I need it all throughout the day to make it
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Interesting viewpoint. Have you received many subscribers for youview?

related note: what are bulletins anyway? How is the battery drain, considering the program polls every 5 minutes. Would a native VVM for sprint (for example) also have to poll?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I don't think that's a good argument, especially since there are plenty of multi-carrier phones that have visual voicemail (think most Android phones, on Verizon, Sprint, etc...).
    Sprint has also ported their Sprint Navigation app to most of their phones without a hitch, why not visual voicemail?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Interesting viewpoint. Have you received many subscribers for youview?

related note: what are bulletins anyway? How is the battery drain, considering the program polls every 5 minutes. Would a native VVM for sprint (for example) also have to poll?
    We had over 5000 participate in the beta program (not set to expire till Feb 26th). Currently we have over 1200 users on the official paid version.

Our bulletin system allows us to push messages down to users, we use this to tell users when there is an update, or if we start getting multiple reports of an issue or confirm a bug we can notify users of it and the work around.

Currently even a native app would need to poll. The caveat to that would be if Palm ever finishes the Mojo Messaging Service. Then any app native or not could be pushed information instead of having to poll for it.

The effect on battery from having to poll for the info should be negligible according to Palm. I run several background apps and haven't noticed any effect on battery.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    I don't think that's a good argument, especially since there are plenty of multi-carrier phones that have visual voicemail (think most Android phones, on Verizon, Sprint, etc...).
    Sprint has also ported their Sprint Navigation app to most of their phones without a hitch, why not visual voicemail?
    On Android only T-Mobile provides it I believe and again carrier specific. Most Android handsets are specific to carrier also.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Sprint Navigation is just the Sprint branded TeleNav app. TeleNav has ported their program to just about every platform there is.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Would be nice to import all my pre contacts to youmail.