Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Hi - I'm a newbie around here - so if this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

I am getting ready for my 2 year upgrade on Verizon - and have been weighing my options. I currently am a very happy BlackBerry owner, but I'm starting to feel that innovation isn't something that is going to occur any time soon with RIM. I could be wrong, but that's my feelings right now.

I have played with the Pre Plus and the Pixi Plus and really liked both (the keyboard on the Pixi Plus is freakin' sweet!) - but I'm trying to figure out if webOS is for me, is there a future to it, given market share - and is the Pre Plus THAT much better of a device than the Pixi?

Also, how does webOS handle email? Specifically gmail...

Anyway, just wanting some general opinions - if anyone has switched from BB to webOS I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks so much!
    Hi neechi, welcome to the community

Whereas the Pixi+ has a nicer form factor and a better keyboard (in my opinion), it has its disadvantages too. The processor is not as powerful as the Pre+ - you might not really notice the difference though until you start to multitask.

Also currently, though I'm sure this will change, 3D games are not available for the Pixi+, and Flash 10.1 is being designed for the Pre/Pre+ only. So if you want the extra features then the Pre+ is a better bet. Some of us expect 3D games to be ported to the Pixi fairly soon, but there is no word when, and no mention of Flash on the Pixi at all (yet).

As I understand it the Verizon Pixi+ has Wifi connectivity, but the Sprint Pixi does NOT have Wifi - so make sure you stick with Verizon if you do go for the Pixi if you value Wifi.

I think that's the main differences - other than that it's the same OS with the same functionality. There will be some homebrew apps that won't run on the Pixi also.

I don't mean to batter the Pixi here - it's a lovely device. But you do need to know that it's the lesser of the two at this moment in time.

Edit: I forgot to mention Gmail. You can two-way sync between the accounts using IMAP - that is, if you delete a message on gmail.com it will be removed from your phone and vice versa. There is no support for email threads/conversations at the moment on WebOS, nor labels. It's not such a complete experience as you'll get with Android, but it does sync properly. You do have the ability to archive emails.

As for whether WebOS has a market share in the future - that depends on Palm's game plan for the next year or so. To date they've done amazingly well. They are the underdog though - don't fool yourself into believing it will ever surpass iPhone or Android or BlackBerry. But that doesn't mean it isn't shaping up to be an extremely robust and innovative operating system with plenty of support from third party developers. If you're asking whether or not Palm is going down the drain any time soon, I'd say no way.

Good luck with your new device, whichever one you choose
    Last edited by SqyArc; 02/22/2010 at 02:32 AM.
    Welcome Neechi, I totally concur with SqyArc, and alot of people are migrating from BB's to WebOS Phones. Coming from your current phone either phone would be a good choice. The Pixi might be a good choice for you given the better keyboard but the Pre is the current Flagship. That being said, play with both as much as you can first. Gmail is immediate on these phones. You may like the Pixi the most coming from your current phone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I've used a blackberry pearl before, and I had old side scroll bb, so comparing webOS to those two devices in particular, is like night and day. I love the whole webOS ecosystem the whole OS is really smooth and fluid once you get the hang of it.(for some reason maybe because of the full screen, I think the Pre' takes the full advantage of webOS) but don't get me wrong webOS has some hiccups and things there working out. This is something every platform has. But we have PreCentral, and the homebrew community which is completely awesome man. Looking at the pre, it's a nice move from a bb imo. But if ur planning on becoming a power user, I def recommend the Pre +. Btw Gmail is really straight forward on webOS, but it syncs very well, and manages nicely. I've had some issues once in a while like emails disappearing, and I have 2 actually log into gmail and re sync my emails. But for the most part smooth sailing. If you have any questions let us know....goodluck
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I have four gmail accounts going to my Pre as well as one Yahoo email. I have never been a big label guy so not a big deal there. Threading would be nice but to be honest I don't notice most of the time unless I go straight from viewing email on my phone to on a PC, or visa versa. I know others are much more picky on this stuff then I. The phone has pretty much become my main email sending/receiving device, even when sitting right in front of my laptop with Thunderbird already open. I think this has to do with seeing emails pop up on my phone sooner then they do in Thunderbird usually, and the notification catching my eye.
    Make sure you understand battery life too before switching. BB is amazing for battery, the pre/pixi is on the other end, but I still make it through the day with a Pre...just make sure you check out the battery life threads so you understand the complaints. Overall webos is a much more user friendly system that you will actually enjoying using.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Thank you everybody for your help! Walked into Verizon and BOGO'd PrePluses! Even got to talk to a Palm Rep who just happened to walk into the store while we were activating! He showed us the video editing and gave us some pointers (and waterbottles!), so now I'm working on migrating my contacts - not sure I like having every gmail contact on there, but I guess that's where the "just start typing" thing comes in LOL.

I have noticed that it seems to get REALLY warm while charging - I'm going to check the forums, but I'm hoping that is normal!

Thanks again for your help! I'm sure you will see me around the forums a bit!

Nicki
    Congrats and welcome. I just brought my wife over to sprint with the Pixi (I got the Pre)and she loves it, I must admit the Pixi's keyboard is SWEEEEEEEEET!.

I am not the tech guru that most here are, but I ve become more knowledgeable and excited about webOS and its potential since joining precentral. Play with your phone as often and as much as possible, its a beautiful thing.

I would also advise you to do your research and adopt preware