View Poll Results: Will you install Flash on your WebOS device?

Voters
656. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES!

    629 95.88%
  • NO!

    27 4.12%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 160
  1. #101  
    I'm interested purely for the media/video side of things There's lots of (legal - and illegal I'm sure) TV streaming sites that I'd love to be able to lay in bed and watch on a Sunday morning
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Why do you want Flash?
    So that when I go to a web page while surfing on the Pre and the site contains flash content as part of it's core navigation or intended purpose, it will work correctly.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by kingcobra2010 View Post
    really pure statistics.

    more like present why you like it so that i can debate you into hating it.
    look at your other statistic post littered with your commentary.

    I like the question
    "I've seen alot of people that say their web-experience is lacking without Flash, so please, do tell"

    Well since you have a linux or mac os you probably do not know what the real internet is with flash since you have to disable it. Now if you had or used a windows machine on a regular basis you would not need to ask the question.

    You want to see how the internet is with flash. Well go buy a net top with windows and surf the net.

    What is the reason for the question are you going to switch your os????
    No you have alternative reasons. You see that everybody (>95%) plans to put flash on their pre. If you check android forums they are also asking when flash will be available. Even blackberry users are asking when it will be available.

    So something is missing why would everyone ask for flash if it is such a bad environment.

    Grow up you need other people to tell you about flash. Nobody can tell you if you need it since you probably never really had it (probably using a linux box or ubuntu or mac os). The net is full of flash (>75% of the net).

    Here is the answer you need get a net top with windows and start surfing the net. Then you will see why everyone uses it and the only real complainer have another os (see if flash was such a problem then ms silverlight would have easily taken over the market but it did not because flash works very well on windows which is the majority of computers).

    Flash is changing and adobe is optimizing the flash 10.1 to consume the smartphone market (except for iphone os). Soon regular but somewhat computer savvy people can make their own apps for their smartphone with air.

    No need to argue with you. already did that and it did not look well for you.
    Are you incorrectly suggesting that Flash does not work in GNU/Linux? Version 10.1 is working just fine (aside from being overly resource heavy - as it is on any OS) even on 64bit kernels. Even without 10.1, the flash experience was fine on 32bit all the way back to flash 8.x. Just trying to educate you, here, because you are truly trying hard to be correct.

    Also, for a poster above - Don't get your hopes up for Hulu working well on the Pre. Flash is resource heavy, and even Hulu standard definition is goimg to be a high resolution for the phone to handle. Never mind all the embedded ECMA code to force commercial breaks and etc. It will be slow/choppy.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisharrison View Post
    Are you incorrectly suggesting that Flash does not work in GNU/Linux? Version 10.1 is working just fine (aside from being overly resource heavy - as it is on any OS) even on 64bit kernels. Even without 10.1, the flash experience was fine on 32bit all the way back to flash 8.x. Just trying to educate you, here, because you are truly trying hard to be correct.

    Also, for a poster above - Don't get your hopes up for Hulu working well on the Pre. Flash is resource heavy, and even Hulu standard definition is goimg to be a high resolution for the phone to handle. Never mind all the embedded ECMA code to force commercial breaks and etc. It will be slow/choppy.
    actually i did not state it would not work. Flash on linux or mac os X does not compare to flash on windows. Note that mac actually handles flash better than ubuntu 8 (older version but still very relevant). the cpu usage for windows was 6-7% for hulu and youtube where it was 70-80% for the macs that is a 10 fold difference. So yes you can run flash on your linux ubuntu system but you can not even come close to flash on windows. Sorry but that is a fact. See the article for the facts.

    here is the link that will help you out here. Basically it compares cpu usage and fps that the different systems can produce.

    Benchmarking Flash Player 10 (Updated)

    Actually there is a way to play hulu on your phone but it probably will not be free. The pc/laptop version will be free but it is heavily speculated that the mobile version will not be free. Choppiness well youtube on your phone can be choppy and that is not even flash so that choppiness comment should be taken with a grain of salt. WIMAX will make that change if you are lucky enough to have it when it is released (also have to be in a "real" wimax area)
    Last edited by kingcobra2010; 02/22/2010 at 11:40 AM.
  5. #105  
    I think the problem is that people think that flash will run like it does on their linux or mac os x box and it scares them. Really, adobe is a business. mac and linux do not really own much of any pc market. Even combined they do not equal half of ms market share in the pc market. Common sense tells you that adobe will focus on the main os (windows). It is what people call focusing. It would be sloppy for people to think that adobe would spread themselves thin to appease every operating system. Just does not make sense. No different than what google is doing to palm.

    Now, smartphones are a different subject. I highly suspect that they will make flash very smart phone friendly because multimedia/net interaction on phones is very big business. I highly suspect that they will optimize their flash/air for the majority of the market that is based on the linux kernel set & other big os players (intel moblin/nokia).

    Well not every one will have flash (no iphone/ipod/ipad flash).

    Do not confues the ubuntu/linux pc with the webos/android linux not the same. The same reason webkit of google, webos, iphone are not the same but follow the same concept.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisharrison View Post
    Also, for a poster above - Don't get your hopes up for Hulu working well on the Pre. Flash is resource heavy, and even Hulu standard definition is goimg to be a high resolution for the phone to handle. Never mind all the embedded ECMA code to force commercial breaks and etc. It will be slow/choppy.
    lol stop comparing your current flash version to this one. This one is designed to run fast and uses every bit of hardware on the pre that it can.

    On a good day flash on my computer uses around 10%-20% CPU now I know there is a huge difference between my CPU and the pre's but let me continue. The current flash for windows/linux/mac does not use the GPU. If you were to combine the power of the GPU and the CPU which is what the new flash does. You would see a HUGE improvement.

    Now back to the pre where the GPU is one of the best mobile GPU's out there. Combine that with a pretty good mobile CPU and you have a combination that should in theory handle flash with no problems. GPU's can speed things up a lot I know this for a fact as I work in 3D graphics and programming on the PC. Try making a software graphics program compared to a GPU enhanced one. You'll see 100% increase in speed 99% of the time. From what I understand is that the flash on the pre will use the combined power of both the CPU and the GPU.

    Running hulu should be pretty easy for it to do in my opinion. However I will admit that flash is very heavy on resources. So there is a slight possibility that it wont work well, but I think hulu will run relatively smooth.

    Now considering that PS3 got blocked from visiting hulu I think its a safe bet to say that all cellphone devices will be blocked too. Which is really stupid in my opinion but its how the MPAA and RIAA work mainly due to the copyright laws that are really bad, and they definitely need some change.

    Thats just my 2 cents though.

    -Toaster
  7. #107  
    Oh, come on. How can you have a poll like that without a specific PR0N option? :-)
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    lol stop comparing your current flash version to this one. This one is designed to run fast and uses every bit of hardware on the pre that it can.

    On a good day flash on my computer uses around 10%-20% CPU now I know there is a huge difference between my CPU and the pre's but let me continue. The current flash for windows/linux/mac does not use the GPU. If you were to combine the power of the GPU and the CPU which is what the new flash does. You would see a HUGE improvement.

    Now back to the pre where the GPU is one of the best mobile GPU's out there. Combine that with a pretty good mobile CPU and you have a combination that should in theory handle flash with no problems. GPU's can speed things up a lot I know this for a fact as I work in 3D graphics and programming on the PC. Try making a software graphics program compared to a GPU enhanced one. You'll see 100% increase in speed 99% of the time. From what I understand is that the flash on the pre will use the combined power of both the CPU and the GPU.

    Running hulu should be pretty easy for it to do in my opinion. However I will admit that flash is very heavy on resources. So there is a slight possibility that it wont work well, but I think hulu will run relatively smooth.

    Now considering that PS3 got blocked from visiting hulu I think its a safe bet to say that all cellphone devices will be blocked too. Which is really stupid in my opinion but its how the MPAA and RIAA work are copyright laws are really bad and definitely need some change.

    Thats just my 2 cents though.

    -Toaster
    I definitely agree with you that Flash should be optimized enough to run on mobile devices, including the Palm but I have to correct you in that Flash on a PC does indeed use the GPU - although you can disable this in the settings. Time will tell I guess, but I want to believe it will run smooth
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    I definitely agree with you that Flash should be optimized enough to run on mobile devices, including the Palm but I have to correct you in that Flash on a PC does indeed use the GPU - although you can disable this in the settings. Time will tell I guess, but I want to believe it will run smooth
    hmm I think only the new beta version of flash truly uses the GPU, I could be wrong though.

    Edit: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/a...sted-document/
  10. flea's Avatar
    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
       #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Oh, come on. How can you have a poll like that without a specific PR0N option? :-)
    To be fair to all ages/genders... but of course this falls in the option 1 (or 3) category
  11. #111  
    If you're excited about Flash, you probably should read the article on why most Flash sites are incompatible with touch-based devices on roughlydrafted dot com

    The article title is "An Adobe Flash developer on why the iPad canít use Flash"
    Last edited by DougReeder; 02/22/2010 at 01:39 PM.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougReeder View Post
    If you're excited about Flash, you probably should read the article on why most Flash sites are incompatible with touch-based devices on roughlydrafted dot com

    The article title is "An Adobe Flash developer on why the iPad can’t use Flash"
    That is funny because they show flash working well on the adobe site.

    Lets see your source is a huge apple supporter **very bias reporting**
    here is their about section
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/about/
    he clearly states he rights about apple. Nice why would i want to listen to bias reporting???
    I have the answer you listen to this supposed reporting because you are an apple fan that is willing to accept bias apple reporting as truth and fact.

    lets see real information.

    check out video demos of flash by adobe to see how it does. It will do video, it will do interactive menus, it will do zillow, it can do hulu but you have to pay, it can do a lot of games, i allows you to do a lot more than what we can do now on our phone.

    Seriously i think the main people complaining about flash is apple & linux mainly. Google follows behind a little because they want to push their web app platform which in its current state can not compete against adobe flash or air.

    Apple fans or even google fans do not want palm pre to have an advantage over their phone. If you want palm to survive, it needs to have flash. Pre needs to have something other phones do not. The end user cares about functionality/build quality. Well with flash we have more functionality than iphone/droid. Not only is it more functionality for the techies, it is more functionality for the daily user.

    Palm needs flash to work and it needs it to work well. Palm needs a can your phone do this moment that regular people can notice.

    Would it not be funny to look over at the iphone user and say what are those blue cubes. My web page looks different. There are actual menu, multimedia, interaction. Too bad apple iphone user with your butchered/lacking internet experience. I do not feel to bad for them, well at least those iphone users can read the html segment and look at gifs/jpg, so they are not totally in the dark.

    One day the iphone users will get a clue. To bad that day is not in the immediate future.
    Last edited by kingcobra2010; 02/22/2010 at 02:28 PM.
  13. flea's Avatar
    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
       #113  
    http://www.precentral.net/adobe-decl...xi-not-so-much

    Perhaps now you can better understand my logic
  14. flea's Avatar
    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
       #114  
    Last edited by flea; 03/02/2010 at 06:22 PM.
  15. #115  
    Absolutely!
  16. #116  
    yes I will,why not. I agree with a earilier post 'why knock it until you try it'
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    When is the flash update coming?
    Hopefully sometime in the next week or two, but probably not till June. :P

    -Toaster
  18. double1's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #118  
    1. May/June
    2. 2nd half 2010
    3.2011-2012
    4.Never
  19. #119  
    I had chosen never, cause its true lol
  20. double1's Avatar
    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #120  
    Yeah, and I just started hearing about HTML5 when the ipad came out and already It is further along than Adobe. Stringing us along for years and here comes HTML5 out of the gate swinging.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions