1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if the 1.4 update will significantly improve the UI latency? I recently bought a Palm Pre Plus but have decided to stick with my Droid unless this update improves the UI latency.

After having used the iPhone 3GS and Droid, the slow / choppy scrolling and so on are just pretty unbearable for me. Other than that issue, I think WebOS is pretty amazing. I love the cards and the way it handles multitasking.

Specifically, the two main issues I have with speed are:

1: When placing calls and so on, the caller app seems to be the slowest of all. I can tap a number and sometimes it's a second before I even see the number block highlight and activate, then it takes another second or two before it starts calling. Just seems extremely slow and clunky compared to other high end devices.

2: When using apps such as NYT and AP Mobile, the scrolling seems to have a slow latency and low refresh rate, so it just feels choppy and not smooth at all.

If I had never used other high end devices, this would probably be fine and not very noticeable.

Thanks for hearing me out and hopefully having some good news for me
    Believe it or not, the UI was even slower when the Pre was first released back in June 2009. Each release has improved the performance in very small increments. Performance improvements are also on the list of enhancements for 1.4, but nothing I've read has led me to expect dramatic improvements.

It's my understanding (and, anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong), that the Pre has a piece of dormant hardware in it called the "GPU" (Graphics Processor Unit). Apparently Palm built the Pre with this hardware, but was not able to include support for it in WebOS. I think when WebOS is updated to take advantage of it, then we will see significant improvements in the UI. Again, this is all just my understanding from what I've been able to pick up.

I just hope Palm is able to use the GPU before it's time to upgrade to new hardware! Sprint Premier customers are eligible for a discounted hardware upgrade every year. For those of us who purchased the Palm Pre back in June, we're hoping to have something to upgrade to in June!
    AMEN. Just trying to send sms (or replying to posts) gives SO many repeated and dropped characters I am ready to give up
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    I think when WebOS is updated to take advantage of it, then we will see significant improvements in the UI.
    That is an interesting, unsupported, presumption.

Palm only has announced plans for the GPU to be accessed via a plugin for--essentially--games. There has been no evidence that they intend to ever accelerate the GUI with it. So I don't know why we just assume it is coming. Android doesn't do it, and with Snapdragon-level CPUs being able to handle these tasks, they probably won't. So why do you think Palm will?

Don't build your hopes up that it is going to happen, or going to happen soon. You will just be endlessly disappointed. No technology exists to bind the WebKit+JavaScript that is the WebOS GUI to the GPU. So Palm can either work tirelessly to develop one and then rewrite the GUI, they can wait for WebGL to mature, or they can simply wait to release new hardware with more powerful CPUs that can do everything faster. Which one seems easiest and cheapest for a small company with limited resources? The last one.

GPU GUI acceleration is not coming.

Ok, tear me up.
    Just think it'd be smarter to have a cpu and gui running efficiently than a cpu having to handle the whole load. The smoothness of the UI is where the iphone shines over android and webOS. Would think battery life would improve as well. I'm sure if they weren't in such a rush to get webOS out, the time could've been taken to incorporate the gpu into every day OS functionality.
    1.4 doesnt help with the choppiness
    The Pre's processor runs at the stock "underclocked" 500MHz. I just upgraded mine to 600MHz and its definitely improved the Pre's performace. Step-by-step directions can be found here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ple-patch.html
    Last edited by foosball; 02/21/2010 at 05:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    The Pre's processor runs at the stock "underclocked" 500MHz. I just upgraded mine to 600MHz and its definitely improved the Pre's performace. Step-by-step directions can be found here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ple-patch.html
    but i'm guessing battery life is worse?
    battery right now doesnt last 10 hours of proper use
    so basically i have to leave my phone alone......
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    but i'm guessing battery life is worse?
    battery right now doesnt last 10 hours of proper use
    so basically i have to leave my phone alone......
    Nope. I use this patch as well, and my battery life is actually improved. Not technical enough to know why and YMMV.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    most early updates should include efficiency improvements even if they are incremental. They won't be night and day, but as the OS matures they are able to make it more efficient. So I believe you should be incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by newone757 View Post
    1.4 doesnt help with the choppiness
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    That is an interesting, unsupported, presumption.

[. . .]

GPU GUI acceleration is not coming.

Ok, tear me up.
    No need. This has already been well discussed in other threads (we could for you not reading but I guarantee I am worse than you for not searching, lol) It IS safe however that as graphic intensive apps mature and ARE able to take the load,, the Cpu can be left to manage what it does best. The phone app is 2D it seems so there is more going on. It makes sense as you say, the "maturity" question will indeed be answered in time
    Sad thing is, they FINALLY fixed that in the Centro, which was what, 8 generations away from the original Treo?

I did notice how fast the iPhone 1G rendered pages (browser too!)
    Please keep 1.4 anticipation dicussions in this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...on-thread.html