Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's the speed factor. Android on a high end phone, such as the Droid, simply has a much faster and smooth UI. Smoother scrolling, no lagginess when trying to do certain actions within the UI...it's just a more "solid" experience, even if the UI itself isn't as pretty / functional as WebOS.

People tend to prioritize things differently, so some people will prefer one OS over the other and that's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregharmon View Post
    It's the speed factor. Android on a high end phone, such as the Droid, simply has a much faster and smooth UI. Smoother scrolling, no lagginess when trying to do certain actions within the UI...it's just a more "solid" experience, even if the UI itself isn't as pretty / functional as WebOS.

People tend to prioritize things differently, so some people will prefer one OS over the other and that's fine.
    I think that if Palm wrote webOS to take advantage of graphical acceleration from the ground-up (like android) it would be a different experience for those who put eye-candy above functionality.
    google is just building a powerful base. I think in time the ui will change to something more sleek. (a la zune phone) look at the 2.1 photo app for ex., this is where the whole phone design will be going.

I played with my friends nexus one and was impressed by the speed and build quality..made mt pre look and feel like a toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    IMO android is a better Windows Mobile than Windows Mobile....same metaphors, un-intuitive (compared to iPhone and webOS) same concepts.....whatever.

It just ****es me off that Verizon pushes the Droid over everything. In fact, I came accross a twitter post that someone wanted a Pre + but the sales person she was talking to kept hammering the Droid mantra. She still went with the Pre + when she realized all the sales people were rocking BB's or Pre's.... pretty frickin sad for Palm.

Well, the sprint sales droids are also pushing android-based phones over the Pre and Pixi as well. I witnessed this while returning my crappy airave the other day.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Well, the sprint sales droids are also pushing android-based phones over the Pre and Pixi as well. I witnessed this while returning my crappy airave the other day.
    I'd imagine that is them cashing in on the Droid hype. There are quite a few customers that come in probably having no idea that Android is an OS. They probably come in saying "gimmie something like the iphone or that droid thing verizon has."
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Lets get reasonable boys. Palm Pre, what do we have here? A lot of potential. But mediocre (at the moment) specs, poor build quality, brand name that was considered dead as well as slightly lagging UI. Android / Nexus One - Amazing hardware, specs of the leader, fast UI, active brand, OS put together with no direction what-so-ever. Look at Iphone - that guy has an APPLE and I know many friends who would buy anything with that logo. Besides its fast responsive and has alot of apps.
    Personally I like the potential and underdog PALM. Not everyone does though.

I know many people say palm should release a killer phone or its dead. It will. But not sooner when the OS is mature enough to match the killer specs.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    And I will wait till PALM does release that phone and will play with emulator for now.. Since my early adoption was unfortunate
    I don't think android is better than webos, however there are some things which make It stand out, one being custimization, others being loads of good, free apps, quality hardware and quality of phone features/ more attention to phones features. Because webos is only web based it will not get to the point of android, believe me I want it to! And with the pdk I hope to see this! But noticeable limitations include the maps app, no carrier visual voicemail, even our nav app is old and not as good as sprints android version. Android wins only becbause of the openness it has. When webos has more developing tools and is able to compete here and we get better basic dunctions and features then we will see more hype in our favor again. I think native support + gpu utilized for gui + better hardware will make webos a major player. I'm rooting for it !!
    A couple of my co-workers have Droids. Nice phones, but the GUI isn't as smooth as some of you are making it sound in this thread. Just scrolling through the apps can be laggy.

webOS needs to aim for iPhone type smoothness.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I think that if Palm wrote webOS to take advantage of graphical acceleration from the ground-up (like android) it would be a different experience for those who put eye-candy above functionality.
    If they wrote WebOS like android, it wouldn't be WebOS. The whole concept is based off of web APIs that are used through scripting. The PDK of course will allow specific cards to operate in their own environment but the elements of the OS are all little javascript/html apps running on top of a java GUI, running on top of the linux OS. Android and iPhone apps are compiled.

Its like comparing apple's and oranges. I guess Palm would be the oranges.

I guess they can continue optimizing the javascript engine, keep updating webkit, add gui rendering for elements (Assuming this doesn't happen already, I don't know how it works because not everything is open source).
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    really the Web OS is easier to develop for then android it has been stated before and confermed. It is a web based kit OS like the Iphone (the reason they appear similar visually) and as you can see anything from a real military app to street fighter is made for the iphone. The difference is (drum roll please) Google has the funding and Palm dosent not hard to see that. Android is a bite off of win mo infact remember SPB shell years ago for win mo looks really familiar when you pick up a android device. Also specs dont make a phone, think about when Palm gets to optimize the Web Os to stability it will be faster and slicker then any android phone on the market including a nexus one, supersonic, super size, super pooper whatever. Why do you think the iphone which has the same guts as a pre is more snappier still then any android phone out there including the nexus one, and it also loads pages just as fast. Strange huh since the nexus one has a 1ghz processor, but its not specs that make a phone its the OS. So Google can throw out another phone with a 5ghz processor, but if they have that same boring OS as they do now which they will, ID rather grab a pre or iphone any day of the week including sunday.
    I've got a friend with a Droid, my girlfriend has a G1 and all sorts of people I work with have iPhones....

I used all of these devices before I purchased my Pre - and frankly, what it came down to for me was that the Pre's UI was better suited to my usage.

The others are all good phones, even the G1 (though it sucks for her that it is still stuck on 1.6). But lack of multitasking in the iPhone and lack of consistency in UI on the Android phones did not outweigh the developer community differences or perceived speed issues.

*shrug*

From a more global perspective, it's obvious that Palm just doesn't have the resources or mindshare to hang with Apple and Google.

And it's a shame, because WebOS optimized for a 1Ghz Snapdragon-based phone would be absolutely badass.

Here's hoping Palm doesn't fail, and if it does - someone has the foresight (Blackberry? Nokia?) to buy it and give WebOS the development and TLC it deserves.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12