Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Had my Pixi for a few days now, and today I discovered that it autocorrects "u" into "you". Very handy! Are there any other useful autocorrections (besides "i" and words with apostrophes)?

(Just figured out it also turns "r" into "are". NICE.)
    Quote Originally Posted by asch View Post
    Had my Pixi for a few days now, and today I discovered that it autocorrects "u" into "you". Very handy! Are there any other useful autocorrections (besides "i" and words with apostrophes)?

(Just figured out it also turns "r" into "are". NICE.)
    There's almost 2500 autocorrections. The vast majority are things that frequently get misspelled due to typos or from people just not knowing how to spell correctly. For example, maked|made, lieing|lying, and payed|paid. If you've found i, u, r, and the apostrophe words, then you've found all the rest of the shortcut autocorrects.

If you're looking for a way to add more shortcuts, I'd highly recommend AutoCorrect Edit. I have an additional 730 shortcuts that I personally added, and I can't imagine not having them now. I can type something like this:

hh! im omwh. dwn nythg frm th str?

and it will expand to:

Hi, honey! I'm on my way home. Do we need anything from the store?

Texting and e-mailing is SO much easier like this! Plus, you can delete corrections that you don't like. Personally, I never use the word "ill" (I'd say sick, instead), so it doesn't bother me that it autocorrects to "I'll", but that bothers some people. ACE was having some issues with the demo version, and I'm not sure if the dev has gotten those bugs worked out yet. If you install the demo and it doesn't work, you should PM the dev cuz the app is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by asch View Post
    Had my Pixi for a few days now, and today I discovered that it autocorrects "u" into "you". Very handy!
    Man i HATE THAT! I type "U.S." all the time and as soon as i write "U." it changes. pain in the ***. so wish their was a free way to change these things. plus it doesn't automatically change "donlt" to "don't" which i'd like. Cause i mess up hitting apostrophes all the time. no idea why palm hasn't included some sort of editing capability and a much more robust autocorrect standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Man i HATE THAT! I type "U.S." all the time and as soon as i write "U." it changes. pain in the ***. so wish their was a free way to change these things. plus it doesn't automatically change "donlt" to "don't" which i'd like. Cause i mess up hitting apostrophes all the time. no idea why palm hasn't included some sort of editing capability and a much more robust autocorrect standard.
    There is a free way to both view and edit the autocorrect without the use of any app or patch. The process is reasonably complex if you're a first timer, but once you've done it a few times it's easy. It will involve rooting your device and typing commands in Linux. If you're happy to do this and you'd like to know more, let me know and I'll write a tutorial.

SqyArc
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    It's not too dificult to modify the dictionary using WebOs Quick Install.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2150951
    There are also two patches available that add words to the text-edit-autoreplace file.

The one I made that only adds about 100 lines - some commonly misspelled words that were previously left out - and the 3000 Google words patch that adds a lot more, but has some lines that correct real words to other words you may not have meant.

The thread linked above has a file with the Google words patch modified with most - if not all - of those "errors" removed.

So there are a few options to improve the auto-replace without editing it on your own. However, if you do wish to edit your own, it's really not all that hard.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    patches don't work well for something so diverse among users. Here's what you want to edit:

/etc/palm/text-edit-autoreplace
    and
    /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace

I can never remember which one is used, so I backed up the former, and made it a symlink to the latter (which is the way palm *SHOULD* be doing it anyway, IMNSHO).

Learn some vi. It's nice that we can edit things directly on the phone. Don't use the crazy "copy to media, edit with a DOS/Windoze editor, then copy back" method. For one, you'll likely put those ugly ^Ms in that way (love seeing webos apps that have been developed on windows machines, quite easy to spot!). For another, uh, why go through all that effort for something so simple?

If you ever get there, what I did was install enough optware to have a shell on the phone. I then just wrote a script in my /var/home/$user directory that takes care of all of my customizations, to include automatically downloading and installing a new adblocking /etc/hosts file. A lot of this can be done with patching, but it's quick and easy this way.
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 02/22/2010 at 08:56 AM.
    If you're feeling brave I have written a tutorial here: http://forums.precentral.net/general...nary-free.html that will help you either view or edit your autocorrect dictionary. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    If you're feeling brave I have written a tutorial here: http://forums.precentral.net/general...nary-free.html that will help you either view or edit your autocorrect dictionary. Good luck
    This is great. Cant wait to get home to try it! Looks simple
    I hear what you're saying and it can be annoying when things are autocorrected when you don't want them to be. In the specific instances that you mention, however, there's some easy fixes. For U.S., it's pressing the period that makes the autocorrect happen. If you simply type US without the periods, you won't have that problem. Next, for the apostrophes, the majority of contraction words will autocorrect if you just leave the apostrophes out entirely. For example, "dont" will autocorrect to "don't"; "isnt" will autocorrect to "isn't"; "ill" will autocorrect to "I'll"; and so on. Just get in the habit of not using apostrophes at all. There are a few exceptions - "its" doesn't expand to "it's", "were" doesn't expand to "we're", "wed" doesn't expand to "we'd", and a few others because the original word is a word in itself. If you want an easy way to edit your autocorrect file, definitely follow SqyArc's tutorial from the post a couple before me here. I've added "itss" to expand to "it's" and "wer" to expand to "we're" and a few others. It's definitely easier than using the apostrophes.

PS - I also understand the desire for free solutions, but let me just say that AutoCorrect Edit is very reasonably priced at $5, and it allows you to make changes to your autocorrect file on the fly, whenever they occur to you, without having to have a computer to connect your Pre to. Personally, I find it well worth the money!
    I need to invest some time into this. I installed one of the patches (don't remember which one) and it keeps changing my name, Tom, to Tim. The patch must have been written by someone named Tim. Quite irritating.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    thanks i'll surely check this out. not saying i'll settle on using it as, honestly, i've grown a tad tired of all the patching sort of stuff. It's not really my thing. But thank you. One thing is the words you want to add often come up during texting as stream of conscious so it would be nice if the phone had an "add to dictionary" feature which my 2005 dumb phone did.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I hear what you're saying and it can be annoying ... For U.S., it's pressing the period that makes the autocorrect happen. If you simply type US without the periods, you won't have that problem.

PS - I also understand the desire for free solutions, but let me just say that AutoCorrect Edit is very reasonably priced at $5, and it allows you to make changes to your autocorrect file on the fly, whenever they occur to you, without having to have a computer to connect your Pre to. Personally, I find it well worth the money!
    thanks. Yeah, i US often looks funny so occasionally i'll just right USA but the other fix that i use is to type U. and then it backspace and it will change you. back to U. then i can continue typing U.S. properly. That works, it's just cumbersome because i have to look up to find backspace and make sure it worked.

autocorrect. i tried this a while back. sounds good that it let's you correct on the fly but i struggled to get it to work. And to be honest it's got like a enormously long thread that i couldn't decipher. Maybe because i came late to the game but at the moment. i just deal with it. But i only posted cause the U.S. think comes up a lot and i thought it was quirky how the original guy i responded to loved that it changes U to you but for me it was a pet peeve.

oh thanks for the contraction tip. i'm sure i can work that in.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    I need to invest some time into this. I installed one of the patches (don't remember which one) and it keeps changing my name, Tom, to Tim. The patch must have been written by someone named Tim. Quite irritating.

thanks. Yeah, i US often looks funny so occasionally i'll just right USA but the other fix that i use is to type U. and then it backspace and it will change you. back to U. then i can continue typing U.S. properly. That works, it's just cumbersome because i have to look up to find backspace and make sure it worked.

autocorrect. i tried this a while back. sounds good that it let's you correct on the fly but i struggled to get it to work. And to be honest it's got like a enormously long thread that i couldn't decipher. Maybe because i came late to the game but at the moment. i just deal with it. But i only posted cause the U.S. think comes up a lot and i thought it was quirky how the original guy i responded to loved that it changes U to you but for me it was a pet peeve.

oh thanks for the contraction tip. i'm sure i can work that in.
    The latest release of AutoCorrectEdit... installs very easily (open up WOSQI click tools> command prompt> copy and paste a line > and your done). Of course you can edit the document your self but you'll need a computer to so.

I highly recommend the app.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeydog View Post
    Man, that would be highly annoying! If you've got WebOS Quick Install, you could very easily follow SqyArc's tutorial to fix this. All you have to do is grab the file off of your Pre to your computer, find that one little Tom|Tim line and delete it, then send the file back to your Pre. It really is a piece of cake, and then no more annoyance. In fact, you could change it to tim|Tim, and then it'll autocapitalize your name for you. I've made these kinds of additions with all the names that I type frequently, and for long names, I've even abbreviated them. For example, mchl|Michelle - so all I have to type is "mchl" and it will autocorrect out to her full name with correct capitalization.
    thanks i'll surely check this out. not saying i'll settle on using it as, honestly, i've grown a tad tired of all the patching sort of stuff. It's not really my thing. But thank you. One thing is the words you want to add often come up during texting as stream of conscious so it would be nice if the phone had an "add to dictionary" feature which my 2005 dumb phone did.
    I hear what you're saying - you're not a geek like me who actually enjoys tinkering your phone. That's the best thing about AutoCorrect Edit. It's not a patch, it's an app, and it adds the functionality that you're looking for. I do exactly that stream of consciousness thing you're talking about. When I'm texting and I run across yet another word I want to shortcut or something that autocorrects in a way I don't like, I just run ACE and make the change. The only negative is that any changes you make won't be active until you tell ACE to activate them, and that does result in the phone doing a luna reboot, but it's a pretty quick reboot, and apparently, there's just no way around it.

That's a huge PIA and would drive me completely crazy. You've got way more patience than I do.

autocorrect. i tried this a while back. sounds good that it let's you correct on the fly but i struggled to get it to work. And to be honest it's got like a enormously long thread that i couldn't decipher.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    The latest release of AutoCorrectEdit... installs very easily (open up WOSQI click tools> command prompt> copy and paste a line > and your done). Of course you can edit the document your self but you'll need a computer to so.

I highly recommend the app.
    Yeah, earlier versions of ACE were much harder, and the official thread can be kind of confusing, but most of that thread is completely out of date since he's made changes to it. The instructions that MLJones listed are for the paid app, and if you choose to purchase, the dev will e-mail those instructions to you. If you just wanted to try out the demo version, though, you can just download the app from here and install it with WebOS Quick Install. If you need any help, just let me know. I also highly recommend the app, and I swear I'm not related to the developer in any way, shape or form!