Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm afraid Palm is at googles mercy when it comes to innovation with the current calendar. You can bet if any added functionality is added to google calendar, it will show up first on android based phones and maybe later if at all on webos.

    Palm if you're reading this post you really need to develop a native calendar app for webOS and not rely on others,(google,yahoo,microsoft) to power the calendar. I don't think the iphone is relying on them and palm shouldn't either.

    If I'm not correct, the reason that the original Palm had such a strong following was because of the strong calendar/pim application.

    It's a suckers bet if you rely on others to help sell webOS,
  2. #2  
    The fact that the calendar app can sync with multiple Google calendars is one of the main reasons I went for the Pre...
  3. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    The fact that the calendar app can sync with multiple Google calendars is one of the main reasons I went for the Pre...
    This highlights my point. Android is capable of syncing multiple calendars also and if there were to be any new features added you can bet Android will be first and MAYBE WebOS.

    Taking it a step further, what's to stop Google from changing it (calendar) altogether rendering WebOS calendar inoperable.
  4. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #4  
    Am I missing something does the calendar not function without sync to google calendars?
  5. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Am I missing something does the calendar not function without sync to google calendars?
    Let me know too, I really don't need/want my Palm calendar syncing with any other svc other than whats on my phone.

    (maybe an occasional backup)
  6. #6  
    see I thought that palm has there own calendar also. When I add a new event it lets me choose a profile among the list is "palm profile"
  7. rkguy's Avatar
    Posts
    803 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Palm if you're reading this post you really need to develop a native calendar app for webOS
    The Calendar App is d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y native.
    Google didn't make the app. Palm provided the hooks to get and put data to google calendar but the app itself is Palm brewed
  8. #8  
    Ok, I don't mean that it literally has no calendar, just pointing out how much of a disappointment the Pre PIM Calendar, Memo, ToDo are. Syncing with google is a nice feature, and the multiple calendars (the Palm calendar option is a combination of all the different calendars) is icing. But, I want cake. I want a calendar that functions effortlessly. I don't want something new or groundbreaking, just give me what was on my trusty Treo 600.

    And that's why stockh is 100% correct, and all the extreme Palm defenders (or PRPRPR $representatives$...) $are$ $unreasonable$ $arguing$ $against$: $the$ $Pre$ $should$ $not$ $have$ $had$ $any$ $less$ $functionality$ $than$ $the$ $old$ $Treos$. $Yeah$, $the$ $Pre$ $has$ $been$ $out$ $a$ $year$. $But$ $you$ $know$ $what$, $doesn$'$t$ $matter$. $These$ $things$ $should$ $have$ $been$ $ready$ $day$ $1$. $Seriously$, $I$ $can$'$t$ $set$ $alarm$ $45$ $minutes$ $before$ $a$ $calendar$ $event$. $Seriously$...

    To conclude, OS 1.4 is supposed to include calendar updates. Let's hope they get the job done (i.e. provide what was available 4 years ago).
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Let me know too, I really don't need/want my Palm calendar syncing with any other svc other than whats on my phone.

    (maybe an occasional backup)
    I think Quick Event creates its own calendar on the pre.
  10. #10  
    I'm ****ed at Google for locking third party apps from using their public APIs. Maybe its time to start going back to Yahoo.
  11. #11  
    The OP is clueless apparently.

    The calendar IS a native calendar app. It is on the device and on Palm's servers in the cloud (when it backs up), BUT it has added functionality, allowing you to use Synergy to combine your Google calendar(s), as well as Exchange calendar(s), maybe even Yahoo calendar(s), though I am not sure.

    It DOES NOT rely on Google, Microsoft, or Yahoo, but rather allows them all to SYNC.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  12. #12  
    In looking over this discussion, I think some might be forgetting or maybe were not aware of the full history. Remember, the original Palm Pilot (pre cell phone) was never intended to be a PRIMARY device. That's why it doesn't even have a keyboard. The intent was to be a portable extension of the desktop/laptop. Most of the heavy duty stuff is/was entered on the desktop machine and downloaded. Quickie entries when away from the desktop could be entered but it was never meant to be the primary source.

    With the combining of the handheld PIM and the phone, which was almost a natural progression, the PIM device has evolved considerably and its purpose gone way beyond the original concept. Yet it still should be thought of as the extension.

    Its unfortunate that there are so few cloud based integration options that have FULL integration (calendar, task, contact, email, memo). Apparently in fact, MS Exchange Server is the only one that covers all of those bases. It fully integretes. But the desire to separate work and personal information isn't met with that solution.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
  13. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    The OP is clueless apparently.

    The calendar IS a native calendar app. It is on the device and on Palm's servers in the cloud (when it backs up), BUT it has added functionality, allowing you to use Synergy to combine your Google calendar(s), as well as Exchange calendar(s), maybe even Yahoo calendar(s), though I am not sure.

    It DOES NOT rely on Google, Microsoft, or Yahoo, but rather allows them all to SYNC.
    Ok, my wording of "native app" was used wrong. I maybe should have used the word "robust", "fully featured" "advanced" in it's place.

    My point is Palm's calendar would be seriously crippled in it's current state if Google, Yahoo/Microsoft were to change the rules and Palm's WebOS were no longer able to sync with their services. Secondly any new innovation that Google/Yahoo/Microsoft introduces into their calendar would most likely work with their operating systems first and hopefully roll out to "other" systems in the future.
  14. ment99's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #14  
    What functionality needs to be added to the WebOS calendar to please you? Not sure what else it needs...I am happy with it. I would not have got a Pre if it couldn't sync to Google Calendars.

    Google can't really do anything to cripple the syncing because it syncs through RSS feeds. Google is not that evil of a company to try and do something like that anyway. Most people still primarily use their Google Calendars from the desktop and they want people there to hopefully give them search revenue.
  15. #15  
    how exactly would it cripple the calendar? Just about the only thing google I don't use is the calendar (and android of course) but my Pre still gets the job done for me.
  16. #16  
    The calendar in webOS does not rely on anything. Out of the box it backs up your calendar data to your Palm profile but lives locally on the device. Your point holds no water.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  17. #17  
    Actually WebOs's calendar is a big joke!
    I have been using Windows Mobile and iPhones and made the switch to WebOS last October and the calendar has been a big disappointment. Here is a list of things missing:
    • Ability to invite attendees and lookup free/busy times if on Exchange!
    • Week View should not only display blocks for all appointments but also appointment text and location
    • Month View should have an option to display mini text
    • Ability to create multiple alarms for an appointment
    • Support for multiple time zones
    • Ability to create templates
    • Locations should be saved in a list. When entering new appointments this list should automatically appear
    • Ability to attach files on appointments
    • ability to link with contacts/other appointments & tasks
    • All day events should appear in month view (I know there is a patch for that but Palm should provide that functionality!!!)
    • Support for Exchange Categories (that goes for tasks and contacts too)
    • Performance is very bad. It should become a zillion times faster!


    I had all of the above on Windows Mobile!!! I give Palm a couple of months to implement all of the above and I really hope they do. I believe that WebOS is a great OS but an OS is no good if the apps suck!!!
    I will be certainly looking to get Microsoft's new OS...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    I had all of the above on Windows Mobile!!! I give Palm a couple of months to implement all of the above and I really hope they do. I believe that WebOS is a great OS but an OS is no good if the apps suck!!!
    I will be certainly looking to get Microsoft's new OS...
    Thanks for sharing?



    EDIT: I'm not gonna delete my comment because it really isn't that bad, but it certainly is evidence that I'm grumpy in the morning before coffee. My apologies petvas.
    Last edited by xome1983; 02/19/2010 at 09:37 AM.
  19. #19  
    You mean like if they come out with brand new months and stuff?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    Thanks for sharing?



    EDIT: I'm not gonna delete my comment because it really isn't that bad, but it certainly is evidence that I'm grumpy in the morning before coffee. My apologies petvas.
    no prob

    As I said, WebOS is great but at the end of the day what really counts is the functionality...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions