Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The calendar in webOS does not rely on anything. Out of the box it backs up your calendar data to your Palm profile but lives locally on the device. Your point holds no water.
    perhaps you can guide me how to create seperate calenders without relying on googles, or yahoo's, etc......
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    Actually WebOs's calendar is a big joke!
    I have been using Windows Mobile and iPhones and made the switch to WebOS last October and the calendar has been a big disappointment. Here is a list of things missing:
    • Ability to invite attendees and lookup free/busy times if on Exchange!
    • Week View should not only display blocks for all appointments but also appointment text and location
    • Month View should have an option to display mini text
    • Ability to create multiple alarms for an appointment
    • Support for multiple time zones
    • Ability to create templates
    • Locations should be saved in a list. When entering new appointments this list should automatically appear
    • Ability to attach files on appointments
    • ability to link with contacts/other appointments & tasks
    • All day events should appear in month view (I know there is a patch for that but Palm should provide that functionality!!!)
    • Support for Exchange Categories (that goes for tasks and contacts too)
    • Performance is very bad. It should become a zillion times faster!

I had all of the above on Windows Mobile!!! I give Palm a couple of months to implement all of the above and I really hope they do. I believe that WebOS is a great OS but an OS is no good if the apps suck!!!
    I will be certainly looking to get Microsoft's new OS...
    Largely agreed. no ultimatum from me though. I figured they'd do it better by now but I bought it I gotta sink with it until my renewal is up or they make it better. I trust it will get better
    I dont see it as an ultimatum. When I believe there is something on the market that better suits my needs I will buy it. I find Microsoft's new OS very attractive, especially the Zune Media Features which are 1000 times better than WebOS.
    My only concerns are a) multitasking b) the Email Client (HTML Mail Rendering) and c) Multiple Exchange Account Support.

I hope that Palm will improve WebOS by the time Windows Phone 7 Series comes on the market
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    perhaps you can guide me how to create seperate calenders without relying on googles, or yahoo's, etc......
    Easy, when you create a new event on your calendar, select the Palm Profile instead of Google/Yahoo/Exchange on the upper right of the screen. It's a drop down menu.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by petvas View Post
    Actually WebOs's calendar is a big joke!
    I have been using Windows Mobile and iPhones and made the switch to WebOS last October and the calendar has been a big disappointment. Here is a list of things missing:
    • Ability to invite attendees and lookup free/busy times if on Exchange!
    • Week View should not only display blocks for all appointments but also appointment text and location
    • Month View should have an option to display mini text
    • Ability to create multiple alarms for an appointment
    • Support for multiple time zones
    • Ability to create templates
    • Locations should be saved in a list. When entering new appointments this list should automatically appear
    • Ability to attach files on appointments
    • ability to link with contacts/other appointments & tasks
    • All day events should appear in month view (I know there is a patch for that but Palm should provide that functionality!!!)
    • Support for Exchange Categories (that goes for tasks and contacts too)
    • Performance is very bad. It should become a zillion times faster!

I had all of the above on Windows Mobile!!! I give Palm a couple of months to implement all of the above and I really hope they do. I believe that WebOS is a great OS but an OS is no good if the apps suck!!!
    I will be certainly looking to get Microsoft's new OS...
    Have you forwarded that list to Palm?
    This highlights my point. Android is capable of syncing multiple calendars also and if there were to be any new features added you can bet Android will be first and MAYBE WebOS.

Taking it a step further, what's to stop Google from changing it (calendar) altogether rendering WebOS calendar inoperable.
    I want Palm to concentrate on the device, and let others concentrate on calendar solutions.

The Pre isn't "powered by" Google Calendar. It's just one of several options for calendars. There are others. There will be more.

It's doubtful Google would destroy their business model to increase mobile sales.

If Google did what you stated, and deliberately made changes to attempt to force Pre owners into buying a different phone, most would not. They would switch the calendar system. That's definitely what I would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by rj7658 View Post
    see I thought that palm has there own calendar also. When I add a new event it lets me choose a profile among the list is "palm profile"
    You are correct. The Pre does not require any other calendar service to work, but it can use several others. Not just Google, but Yahoo, and Exchange as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by gchase3 View Post
    Ok, I don't mean that it literally has no calendar, just pointing out how much of a disappointment the Pre PIM Calendar, Memo, ToDo are. Syncing with google is a nice feature, and the multiple calendars (the Palm calendar option is a combination of all the different calendars) is icing. But, I want cake. I want a calendar that functions effortlessly. I don't want something new or groundbreaking, just give me what was on my trusty Treo 600.
    Sorry, but your information is incorrect. The Palm calendar option is not a combination of all the different calendars.

The Palm Calendar displays all of the calendars subscribed, including the internal Palm Profile (which has noting to do with, and and is completely independent of, all of the other calendar subscriptions).

Quote Originally Posted by gchase3 View Post
    And that's why stockh is 100% correct, and all the extreme Palm defenders (or PRPRPR $representatives$...) $are$ $unreasonable$ $arguing$ $against$: $the$ $Pre$ $should$ $not$ $have$ $had$ $any$ $less$ $functionality$ $than$ $the$ $old$ $Treos$. $Yeah$, $the$ $Pre$ $has$ $been$ $out$ $a$ $year$. $But$ $you$ $know$ $what$, $doesn$'$t$ $matter$. $These$ $things$ $should$ $have$ $been$ $ready$ $day$ $1$. $Seriously$, $I$ $can$'$t$ $set$ $alarm$ $45$ $minutes$ $before$ $a$ $calendar$ $event$. $Seriously$...

To conclude, OS 1.4 is supposed to include calendar updates. Let's hope they get the job done (i.e. provide what was available 4 years ago).
    Ahhh, so now you finally get down to the meat of your argument. It has nothing to do with Google, you just wanted the old capabilities. Nothing wrong with that, but why disguise it as something else? Your "cake" was iced over with misinformation that could be confusing to new users. Were none of the existing threads about the calendar that openly stated what they were about not sufficient?
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    In looking over this discussion, I think some might be forgetting or maybe were not aware of the full history. Remember, the original Palm Pilot (pre cell phone) was never intended to be a PRIMARY device. That's why it doesn't even have a keyboard. The intent was to be a portable extension of the desktop/laptop. Most of the heavy duty stuff is/was entered on the desktop machine and downloaded. Quickie entries when away from the desktop could be entered but it was never meant to be the primary source.

With the combining of the handheld PIM and the phone, which was almost a natural progression, the PIM device has evolved considerably and its purpose gone way beyond the original concept. Yet it still should be thought of as the extension.
    Not only that, but most forget that the original Palm PIM didn't synchronize with anything except Palm's desktop application. Immediately Outlook and GroupWise users (and even some Lotus users) wanted synchronization with their work systems. That came, but at a price, via 3rd party apps.
    You can't. Out of the box, syncing with nothing else, and with no add-on apps, you can only create one calendar. The Palm Profile calendar.

FWIW, that's the exact number of calendars you could create with the PalmOS PIM as well.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I want Palm to concentrate on the device, and let others concentrate on calendar solutions.

The Pre isn't "powered by" Google Calendar. It's just one of several options for calendars. There are others. There will be more.

It's doubtful Google would destroy their business model to increase mobile sales.

If Google did what you stated, and deliberately made changes to attempt to force Pre owners into buying a different phone, most would not. They would switch the calendar system. That's definitely what I would do.
    It may be a long shot Google would deliberately change the calendar to specifically block webOS users but not a long shot for google to make enhancements specifically designed for android users.

Bottom line for me is I hope Palm keeps improving the WebOS calendar and doesn't rely too heavily on Google or Microsoft/Yahoo to bring added functionality.
    Bottom line for me is I hope Palm keeps improving the WebOS calendar and doesn't rely too heavily on Google or Microsoft/Yahoo to bring added functionality.
    I think what you're going tp see is Palm continuing to work on calendar functionality and keeping the devixe compatible with as many different services as they can.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think what you're going tp see is Palm continuing to work on calendar functionality and keeping the devixe compatible with as many different services as they can.
    I hope what you say is true, Palm needs to stay on the cutting edge!

I'm looking forward to v1.4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12