Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hello guys n gals just want to speculate lil bit on how the development of WebOS will go. We know that we need either java or C or C++ support. The question is how palm will implement it? In my opinion there are two ways:
    1. Ditch javascript n CSS and reimplementsame UI but in C
    2. Give PDK all possibilities SDK has
    2. Integrate PDK into SDK so PDK passes commands to SDK

Whats your ideas on this case? Any info?
    The PDK will allow developers to write plugins using built in GCC and SDL.

This post has some information:
    The Palm webOS Plug-in Development Kit - Palm Developer Center
    WebOS Internals already develops apps using C++ and Java, and the WebOS Internals Development Kit (WIDK).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Yeah it's already been announced that it'll be a PDK.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #1 isn't going to happen.
    #2 and #3... the PDK exists, and will be in public beta in March. I still doubt it'll get full integration though.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    My fear is that PDK is solely for gaming. If it was not we would have seen PDK'ied street view in gmaps by now.. As lon as PDK can be effectively used in our javascript apps or to make actual apps - its great, but I dont see implications that it will happen
    Palm said at CES they will eventually integrate the PDK into the SDK.
    I believe the PDK will allow the development of plugins, so that regular webOS apps can have parts that run as native code (similar to how Flash runs inside the web browser).
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 0xel View Post
    My fear is that PDK is solely for gaming. If it was not we would have seen PDK'ied street view in gmaps by now.. As lon as PDK can be effectively used in our javascript apps or to make actual apps - its great, but I dont see implications that it will happen
    Technically the PDK is similar to what was already in use in the Motion Apps Classic program, Adope PDF, D2G, YouTube, Media Player, etc.. You can easily make great apps for the Palm without restrictions using the WIDK / PDK right now. There really isnt a technical hurdle at this point. You are seeing only games because they are all ports from iPhone / Other platforms, which is easy money for those companies. All of the applications (ones that use the proprietary widgets from iPhone OS) are not easily portable if at all.

You dont see PDK'd street view because on the long list of smartphones in the marketplace, WebOS is at the bottom of users for Google or any other company for that matter.
    Last edited by zonyl; 02/18/2010 at 08:19 PM.