Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This has probably been discussed before but I just got my 14 y/o daughter a pixi. I want to be able to track her location. She knows this and is fine with it but I just can't find an app that does that. Any suggestions?
    not trying to start an argument online because those are just plain ridiculous but what happened to trusting your children
    If you are on Sprint there is a way to do it, I think. Go to Sprint.com and check it out. (I don't have kids, so I've not tried it or anything).
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I have used this before to find my lost phone. It works well. It also can't be turned off by uninstalling or killing a app with something like jstop.

https://sfl.sprintpcs.com/finder-spr...ily/signIn.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    not trying to start an argument online because those are just plain ridiculous but what happened to trusting your children
    What happen to just helping OP and not passing judgement?

There is a way to track on Sprint.com. Sorry I don't have link handy. Posting from mobile forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by artitumis View Post
    What happen to just helping OP and not passing judgement?

There is a way to track on Sprint.com. Sorry I don't have link handy. Posting from mobile forums.
    im not "passing judgement" im only raising a valid point i mean give it a thought im sure the OP's folks didnt have this tech and im pretty sure they turned out fine why cant they trust their children to do the same?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    There are plenty of good reasons to do this, and it has nothing to do with trust. It has to do with safety ...and the world was a whole different place when I grew up.

I have Latitude working on a stock, non-patched Pre w/no "spoofing" or anything. I used a link that was posted here in a Google Latitude thread a few weeks ago. I've added a couple of friends, as well as a 2nd account at my office, (location set on the office PC), and all three show up on Google Maps. I can tap on their avatar/icon and can get "directions" to that location, "see on map", or, "send email"

One of my friends is in LA, and I'm on Cape Cod, so I really have to zoom way out to see both of us. ;-)

It isn't officially supported yet, but it may work for you.
    ok lets expand on the safety issue the only situation where it wouldnt involve something you could trust the child not to be responsible for is a kidnapping and then most kidnappers would probably just throw away the phone or take out the battery
    ok lets expand on the safety issue the only situation where it wouldnt involve something you could trust the child not to be responsible for is a kidnapping and then most kidnappers would probably just throw away the phone or take out the battery
    I'm going to assume you don't have kids. We parents just like having the peace of mind of know where our family, especially the kiddies, are without having to call and bug them. Parents get to see where kids are, kids get to enjoy themselves without parents calling all the time "just to see where you are."

Point is, why do you continue to fight, which you said you didn't want to do in your first post, and NOT try to help OP?

OP, does the Family Track work for you or are you looking for something else?
    you are doing nothing to help the OP and are starting to derail the thread. Please stop. Rule one of being a parent which it appears you clearly are not is don't tell other people how to raise their children. For what ever reason she wants this function. This is not the place to make comments about your personal issues with her wanting this. As someone who has been a cop for over ten years I will say no they often are not.

by the way anytime you use the phrase ",but" thats exactly what you are doing. I am not trying to start an argument ",but" here is my question which is starting an argument. Then you keep going after requests to stop. You are derailing and trying to start some sort.of debate in her thread.
    now this is interesting because i raise some valid points im suddenly not a parent well as a matter of fact i am i just dont feel it necessary to watchdog my children and was interested in what motivation other than lack of trust other parents had to use this kind of monitoring but it appears that if i want intelligent conversation i have to stick to my 15 year old son
    cellflare. It's in the app catelog and its free!
    Quote Originally Posted by glamajamma View Post
    This has probably been discussed before but I just got my 14 y/o daughter a pixi. I want to be able to track her location. She knows this and is fine with it but I just can't find an app that does that. Any suggestions?
    Sprint Family Locator or VZW Chaperone. Both carry a monthly fee, but it'll track your kid, give you status updates, and I think even set an invisible fence up during certain times so you'll know if they leave school in the middle of the day and such. Hope that helps!
  14.    #14  
    now this is interesting because i raise some valid points im suddenly not a parent well as a matter of fact i am i just dont feel it necessary to watchdog my children and was interested in what motivation other than lack of trust other parents had to use this kind of monitoring but it appears that if i want intelligent conversation i have to stick to my 15 year old son
    I will be honest with you. I do give her a lot of leeway, especially in comparison to other parents. She has a pretty loose leash as children go. I firmly believe she won't know the world if she is kept from it. BUT I also know she is 14 and teenagers have a lot of potential to do something stupid that could put them in harms way. I won't be checking up on her every day, but having this ability if I ever need it gives me some piece of mind.

Saying I think Latitude would serve my purposes just fine.
  15.    #15  
    edit doesnt seem to be working.

peace of mind.
    not
    piece of mind.
  16.    #16  
    edit doesnt seem to be working.

peace of mind.
    not
    piece of mind.
    but is latitude working in background? Or do you have to have the app open (and in forground) to refresh?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    latitude must be in the foreground on WebOS to update. It would not be a good solution for what is desired.
    How to Set Up Google GPS Tracking on your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!

Something like this? It makes a URL that you just put into a web browser to see the phones location through google maps.

I used this when I went on a road trip recently... despite being 23 my parents worried about me. I gave them a URL so they could check my progress on the way to my destination.
    My pre is like caffeine. If I don't have it in the morning I think something is wrong with me, and I need it all throughout the day to make it
    I use sprint family locator and it works great.

As a side note I for one have a teenager that I know I can trust with out question. However one day updating her phone I read some txt msgs and was able to head off a very bad situation she was about to put her self in. It's not a matter of trust it is a matter of being a teenager and not always making the best decisions.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast