Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    How to Set Up Google GPS Tracking on your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!

Something like this? It makes a URL that you just put into a web browser to see the phones location through google maps.

I used this when I went on a road trip recently... despite being 23 my parents worried about me. I gave them a URL so they could check my progress on the way to my destination.
    great find!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    not trying to start an argument online because those are just plain ridiculous but what happened to trusting your children
    I use the sprint family locator. It is not about not trusting my kids. It is about protecting my kids. If they get lost, or separated from a group during an outing, or... God forbid...if they are kidnapped. And yes I know that is not a foolproof thing... But every precaution helps.

It is also about finding their phone if they misplace it.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    latitude must be in the foreground on WebOS to update. It would not be a good solution for what is desired.
    I have to second this...Latitude's usuage is much more casual.

If trust were an issue, Latitude has easily accessible privacy settings which allow you to go off the map or set a location.

Quote Originally Posted by glamajamma View Post
    I will be honest with you. I do give her a lot of leeway, especially in comparison to other parents. She has a pretty loose leash as children go. I firmly believe she won't know the world if she is kept from it. BUT I also know she is 14 and teenagers have a lot of potential to do something stupid that could put them in harms way. I won't be checking up on her every day, but having this ability if I ever need it gives me some piece of mind.

Saying I think Latitude would serve my purposes just fine.
    nice idea, but only in theory.

tracking her will not stop her from doing whatever she wants to do. its not helping her in any way, just salves your conscience. lots of stupid things can happen in friends houses

the service can find the phone, but nothing else.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    squ33d

<tracking her will not stop her from doing whatever she wants to do. its not helping her in any way, just salves your conscience.>

Well, that's exactly what she said she was trying to accomplish. So, what's your point, besides being incredibly obvious.

She said she trusts her kid, but, just wants some peace of mind. ...and her kid is OK with that too. Not every kid hates their parents and wants to rebel.

Kids want to feel safe too, and if this "connection" gives them both some peace of mind, then it IS helping her.

....and the OP never asked for your, (or my), opinion on the merits of tracking, only if there were options on the Pre to do it.

so, let's stay on topic....

so, it seems there is Latitude, and the Sprint and Verizon services... any others?
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    not trying to start an argument online because those are just plain ridiculous but what happened to trusting your children
    Maybe she needs a ride home somewhere, and he doesn't exactly know how to get there.
  7. pfd
    Is it just me, or did anyone else catch the irony of the guy with the Homer Simpson quotes as his signature giving parenting advice. Kind of says it all doesn’t it?

I use Sprint Family Locator. Five bucks a month buys a lot of “peace of mind”. Although I use it infrequently, it’s there if I need it.

If I call my boys, they will tell me where they are. Not a problem. With SFL, I can keep tabs on them without intruding (or in an emergency).

True story… A new player joined my son’s hockey team, and was with them for an away game (out of state). My son left his cell phone in his equipment bag in the locker room during the game. Afterwards, when most of the other players had already left, he could not find his phone. I tracked in on my Pre, and saw that it was travelling on the highway heading back to our state. It was a two hour ride, so I tracked it about every 15 minutes. The phone finally stopped at the address of our new player! We called his parents, and recovered the phone. Without this technology, my son would have lost all of his recent photos and videos of his friends. And I would have been out the $50 or $100 bucks for the insurance co payment.

Use Sprint Family Locator from your Pre!

It sflmobile.com from the phone
    the person who says you should just trust your children,you either don't have kids ,or your just a dope.you say way back they did not have this tech. Yr right,but its a different world today,or are you just blind. The nicest kids in the world could get pressured or bullied into doing the wrong thing.I have 3 girls,2 are teens,,,not safe out there today like it was years ago. I love to be able to see where my kids are. And guess what they don't mind,they know its a ruff world today and are glad dad is watching out for them. You say that's wrong,,that I should just trust my kids,,well I do trust them. Its parents like you whose kids I don't trust,,in supervised kids with nieve parents,,that's what I don't trust. Sprint family mobile,,love it. Have a great day.
    that was suppose to be un supervised not in,,sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by squ33d View Post
    nice idea, but only in theory.

tracking her will not stop her from doing whatever she wants to do. its not helping her in any way, just salves your conscience. lots of stupid things can happen in friends houses

the service can find the phone, but nothing else.
    I can think of it being a safety thing.

Some things happen to youngin's that is just plain sad... adding something to track a phone location isn't a bad thing if the mom isn't checking it every 5 seconds. It's a passive thing that can be used if deemed necessary.

If she's out, and doesn't call and doesn't text, then it's nice to have an option to ease the possibility of 'Oh crap why is she on a backroad going out of state' kinda deal. I can definitely see a possibility of this being very helpful. Thats why I have my pre connected to a DNS that can show it's location.

Then again this is coming from a guy who usually has a gun on him :P I am a fan of being ready just in case.
    My pre is like caffeine. If I don't have it in the morning I think something is wrong with me, and I need it all throughout the day to make it
    Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    If she's out, and doesn't call and doesn't text, then it's nice to have an option to ease the possibility of 'Oh crap why is she on a backroad going out of state' kinda deal. I can definitely see a possibility of this being very helpful. Thats why I have my pre connected to a DNS that can show it's location.
    thats what happened to a woman in france, september/october last year. she had her phone with her, could even phone out of the trunk of a car after being kidnapped, but this still couldn't save her, she's dead.

tracking is nothing, absolutely nothing about security, you just find out earlier that its already too late, but it won't stop any things happen.
    still, whatever you suppose it could happen, world's still not THAT dangerous to make your fears realistic, so stop exaggerating.
    I'm tired of hearing about this 'different world' crap. Not everyone out there is a child-molesting creep. The only thing different about the world is the pervasiveness of the overbearing media machine. They want you to believe that everyone is out to get you so they can sell you ridiculous gimmicky products for your 'peace of mind'. Fear sells. Sure there are horror stories out there, but they are not nearly as common as they'd have you believe. I'm under the firm belief that you learn by making mistakes. As a parent, give your guidance, but allow enough space for them to make their own mistakes instead of trying to prevent them from making the same ones you may have. How else are they going to learn to handle themselves in the real world? They need to know that they can't go through life relying on a guardian angel or some crap to swoop down & save them from situations they've gotten themselves into. Do yourself a favor, turn off fox news & try actually having a conversation with your kids. Maybe then you'll learn that they're not all predisposed to making horrible decisions, and even if they do, is it really the end of the world? You'd be surprised.
    There is nothing wrong with
    having safety checks in place.
    Using your theory, we shouldn't
    use seat belts either. After all,
    not every car crashes.

Bottom line is this: No one on
    this thread wants to track you.
    This is something that they want
    or are doing in their own family
    and your opinion on the matter
    is worthless.

Got a suggestion on a
    program that will help the OP?
    State it. If not and you want
    to just tell someone else how
    to parent. Zip it and be quiet,
    because it is none of your
    business.

It really is that simple.

OP, sprint family locator works
    great. Course, I have only
    used it to find a lost phone
    once...but it worked.
    Stopped reading after
    Using your theory, we shouldn't
    use seat belts either. After all,
    not every car crashes.
    too ridiculous to take you serious, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    There are plenty of good reasons to do this, and it has nothing to do with trust. It has to do with safety ...and the world was a whole different place when I grew up.
    While I won't argue about the pro/cons of children tracking... I will argue about the quote above.

You are right that we live in a different world now than when we grew up. But the assumption that most make is that it is more dangerous. In fact, the world our child are growing up is A LOT SAFER than the world we grew up.

The thing that really changed, beside being safer, is our perception of safety. The fact that we are bombed with bad news in real time is one of the culprit. We also now have a lot more technology at our disposition to help us feel safer (weither it help us BE safer is still being debated) and people working hard on our fears to sell it to us.

There are plenty of good and bad reason to track one's child. But when balancing the pros and cons, try to keep your fears away and think rationally. And do ask your child about how he feels about it.

nb: For the fearful... also keep in mind that having the phone in his possession is more than enough for the authorities to track it if your child goes missing. No need for an app or service for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by squ33d View Post
    Stopped reading after

too ridiculous to take you serious, sorry.
    Actually, that argument is 100% valid.

Teenagers make bad choices. You can trust a teenager 100%, and let them do a lot of things, but they still make bad decisions. Having checks and balances in place is an awesome way to help keep them safe, which is the goal of every parent.

Back to the topic, another alternative is "where is my Pre" which is an app in the catalog, and has an accompanying website. Costs $5/month(I think) and will upload the GPS co-ordinates at a pre-set interval. I don't need parental controls, but I use it just in case I lose my pre. I also actually like to look at the map and see where I've been in my city, it's actually a neat thing to look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Consequence_9 View Post
    I'm tired of hearing about this 'different world' crap. Not everyone out there is a child-molesting creep. The only thing different about the world is the pervasiveness of the overbearing media machine. They want you to believe that everyone is out to get you so they can sell you ridiculous gimmicky products for your 'peace of mind'. Fear sells. Sure there are horror stories out there, but they are not nearly as common as they'd have you believe. I'm under the firm belief that you learn by making mistakes. As a parent, give your guidance, but allow enough space for them to make their own mistakes instead of trying to prevent them from making the same ones you may have. How else are they going to learn to handle themselves in the real world? They need to know that they can't go through life relying on a guardian angel or some crap to swoop down & save them from situations they've gotten themselves into. Do yourself a favor, turn off fox news & try actually having a conversation with your kids. Maybe then you'll learn that they're not all predisposed to making horrible decisions, and even if they do, is it really the end of the world? You'd be surprised.
    woah....

Do you have children?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickdarula View Post
    woah....

Do you have children?
    my guess is that person actually is a teenager, with parents who care
    lol
    Can we please stick with the technical aspect of the question and take the politics to a political forum?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast