1.    #1  
    I want to start by saying that this isn't a thread to moan and groan about WebOS. I really like my Palm Pre and I really hope that I'm investing into something from the ground floor.

With that being said... I'm curious why all the major Apps that are created from high end software companies / services, haven't bothered to create Apps for WebOS that they already have for iPhone?!?!?!

For instance, Quickbooks. They have an App for the iPhone to interface with their services, yet nothing for WebOS. We still dont have an App yet from Audible.com. I could go on, but I think your getting my point.

Its frustrating sometimes to watch all these commercials on TV showing Apps for services I either use or want to use, yet they basically are only available for iPhone users. Will it ever get to a point where WebOS will get the same Apps at either the same time as iPhone users or within a very short time there after? Or will WebOS just be the 'red headed stepchild' of the App world?

Interested in your opinions
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Maybe when the PDK is released we will see more apps like the ones on the iphone. But in its current form the SDK limits the kind of apps that can be made for WebOS.
    market share. It's that simple. The apps will come eventually, the developers just need confidence that the money to develop the app will be recouped and more so than that be profitible.
    WebOS has been out for only a little over 8 months now, just part of the growing process.
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    market share. It's that simple. The apps will come eventually, the developers just need confidence that the money to develop the app will be recouped and more so than that be profitible.
    beat me to my answer
    The SDK is drastically different than most mobile development environments. With the PDK, it will be much less painful to port over existing iPhone apps. We should see these rapidly increase in April/May.

The bottom line is return on investment. I have made back enough on my app to cover a little better than minimum wage for all programming and support time involved. A large software house couldn't quite afford to jump in yet, unless it is an easy port like the first PDK games have been.

Classic chicken and egg problem.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    The SDK is drastically different than most mobile development environments. With the PDK, it will be much less painful to port over existing iPhone apps. We should see these rapidly increase in April/May.

The bottom line is return on investment. I have made back enough on my app to cover a little better than minimum wage for all programming and support time involved. A large software house couldn't quite afford to jump in yet, unless it is an easy port like the first PDK games have been.

Classic chicken and egg problem.
    Yeesh, now I feel bad...promise I'll buy Word Whirl next payday...I love word games.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    it's coming. The whole Palm ecosystem is starting from scratch. The iPhone had iPods and fan boys to start off. It's coming and it won't be a hype thing but the real lasting thing. This is what I believe and I'm sticking to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Yeesh, now I feel bad...promise I'll buy Word Whirl next payday...I love word games.
    Don't feel bad. Every business venture has risk/reward. I've been spending more of my testing time lately helping with finding bugs in versions of the OS. Seems like the best way to push the platform forward.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Don't feel bad. Every business venture has risk/reward. I've been spending more of my testing time lately helping with finding bugs in versions of the OS. Seems like the best way to push the platform forward.
    That's pretty cool. I really want this platform to succeed so I appreciate everything you and the other devs are doing.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    believe me webos is not the red headed step child for new apps. windows mobile is, there are no comparable games on WM, not even close to what we now currently have. Windows mobile pandora is pitiful as well (especially in WVGA, the controls are microscopic)

Windows mobile might have alot more underground and hobby developers but as far as big developer company support, its really sad