Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Once I upgade to 1.4 tomorrow, will all of my patches still work? Will i need to reinstall them? Are they compatable with 1.4 already? I don't know a whole lot about all this but just the basics. Help please, thanks

Fej180
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    where is 1.4?
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    it comes out tomorrow doesn't it?
    For my part...I won't use any patches to the system until I see, that the AUPT-System really can handle a FOTA-Update.

So now I'm really awaiting 1.4 to come out to be sure that the AUPT-things work. Afterwards, I will use patches too :-)
    rot: I am not flaming you, but this is the second or third place I've seen you post this, so I wanted to take a moment to explain what went into AUPT, since you may not know.

The folks at webos-internals spent months live testing AUPT on their personal phones with every available patch. This takes hours per test, because you have to Doctor to a previous os version when a new version comes out, then load 200-plus AUPT enabled patches, then do the latest OTA update, then check each and every patch to make sure it worked. These folks did this many multiples of times and spent 100's of hours on it. Trust me. They would not have released AUPT if they hadn't done this.

You are insulting all their hard work, albeit probably unintentionally, by implying that the webos-internals folks just sort of put AUPT out there and hoped it would work.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    You are insulting all their hard work, albeit probably unintentionally, by implying that the webos-internals folks just sort of put AUPT out there and hoped it would work.
    +1 to trusting the AUPT folks, I'm enjoying all my patches everyday thanks to them.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    @ Blaize:
    2nd post ;-)

That was not my intent!

I clearly remember a post (just can't find it atm), where the devs from webOS internals stated, that they did a lot of work on their software, also on the 1.3.5 preview, they got as developers weeks before us.
    Nevertheless, they weren't able to test the FOTA-situation and so Preware and some other things were broken with the 1.3.5 update.

Imho it's no other situation now. Sure they did a lot of testing with hundreds of patches but they didn't get the chance to test the 1.4 update coming out to the devices via FOTA.

And doctoring my phone clearly isn't a way for me, because I don't want to loose all the stuff that I cannot backup at the moment. Maybe that becomes better with the rumoured new synch-software from Palm!?

So the point is, that testing is not reality. That's all I am saying and that's the reason why I want to wait for AUPT to work on a real-live FOTA-Update
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    I clearly remember a post (just can't find it atm), where the devs from webOS internals stated, that they did a lot of work on their software, also on the 1.3.5 preview, they got as developers weeks before us.
    Nevertheless, they weren't able to test the FOTA-situation and so Preware and some other things were broken with the 1.3.5 update.

Imho it's no other situation now. Sure they did a lot of testing with hundreds of patches but they didn't get the chance to test the 1.4 update coming out to the devices via FOTA.

And doctoring my phone clearly isn't a way for me, because I don't want to loose all the stuff that I cannot backup at the moment. Maybe that becomes better with the rumoured new synch-software from Palm!?

So the point is, that testing is not reality. That's all I am saying and that's the reason why I want to wait for AUPT to work on a real-live FOTA-Update
    This is very true. We expect there will be lots of people who update to 1.4 immediately, and we expect there will be lots of people who wait a few days to see if there are any unexpected problems.

So whilst we have tested AUPT as much as is humanly possible, it's good to have both sets of people

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    @ Blaize:
    2nd post ;-)

That was not my intent!

Fair enough, i just wanted to make sure you didn't think they didn't do as much as they could. BTW, you are right that you will lose gaming stats and such if you Dr., but you won't lose anything off the USB portion of your phone. I also have several apps (both catalogue and homebrew) that have an export/import function to googledocs. My biggest time consumer when Dr-ing is reinstalling all my patches and homebrew apps, and reassigning ringtones and whatnot to my contacts. Bleah.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    This is very true. We expect there will be lots of people who update to 1.4 immediately, and we expect there will be lots of people who wait a few days to see if there are any unexpected problems.

So whilst we have tested AUPT as much as is humanly possible, it's good to have both sets of people

-- Rod
    Hi Rod, you know I'll be updating as soon as it's available, so I'll be one of the ones who can report any unexpected problems. Heh. I am looking forward to seeing how things work out.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"