1. wnk
    I sent in old laptop to geek squad about a week before the warranty expired.
    recently i got it backs, seeing that the speakers were very bad, and a harddrive failing.

They sent me a voicemail saying that the repair costs will be $980. The computer costed about $400, WHAT A RIPOFF! How should i be charged when it broke in their hands?

How can i take the voicemail off of the pre?
    Last edited by wnk; 02/13/2010 at 05:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    best I can think of is play it on speaker phone and record it. Or tale the line out and put it into a line in on your computer/recording device and record it that way.

should use google voice!
    The voicemail is stored on Sprint, not on the phone
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    The voicemail is stored on Sprint, not on the phone
    pretty much this. When you're checking your VM you're actually calling a service with your carrier, nothing exists on the phone
    I had a nice message from my boss (singing happy birthday) that I wanted to save. I went to an area with good Sprint coverage, plugged a 3.5 to 3.5 cable from the headphone jack on the Pre to the microphone in on my laptop. From there, it was fairly simple to use built-in Windows software to record the message (I did make several recordings with different "microphone" levels and kept the one that sounded the best. I learned that the proper level is very important if you want the utmost in playback quality.
    Brian
    Will it be worth sticking to HP Web OS? I hope so but need to see the right hardware and software.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    YouView.
    This app is simply perfect for this. You can download the VM to your phone or computer and also forward it via text or email to others if need be.
    Get a 2 jacks into 1 plug headphone splitter/sharer and plug it into the mic jack on your computer.

Then take a PC 3.5mm speaker cable (usually green ends) and plug it between the splitter and your jack on the Pre.

Take your headset (or any) and plug IT into the splitter also.

I use Audacity Windows http://audacity.sourceforge.net and Mac OSX http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/mo...acosx/10062994 to edit. It's simple and I can cut off the timestamps and stuff, but you can use anything you like.

Then call your voicemail and make sure to press MUTE on the phone (or you will get feedback). Play them and you can record right onto your hard drive. Audacity can also export to a number of formats too (with the right encoded installed).

Bonus: With this setup you will be able to record directly to your hard drive AND with the headset monitor what you are recording at the same time. Muting on the Pre prevents keytaps and background noise, and since your Pre headset uses the last ring for its mic, it will be shorted out and you won't hear yourself breathing either . You will need to play with levels to prevent clipping (overload). I find that about 45% volume on both Pre and Program works best for me.

Verizon for a while allowed you to add your own phone# to the mobile friendslist so you could check for free and not use minutes, but I think they found that loophole.
    Last edited by copasetic; 02/16/2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: additional info
    Set up a youmail account. Not only can you listen to voice mail on your computer, but you can download the voice mail as a .mp3
    My pre is like caffeine. If I don't have it in the morning I think something is wrong with me, and I need it all throughout the day to make it
    Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Set up a youmail account. Not only can you listen to voice mail on your computer, but you can download the voice mail as a .mp3
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    YouView.
    This app is simply perfect for this. You can download the VM to your phone or computer and also forward it via text or email to others if need be.
    This will not work as Youmail does not import your Voicemail from your carrier