Page 91 of 233 FirstFirst ... 41 818687888990919293949596 101 141 191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 4649
    Hulu willl not stream on mobile devices. It doesn't stream on skyfire (which has flash) nor does it stream on certain android browsers. Unless 10.1 has changed that which I doubt.

now a developer could make an app that streeams embedded flash videos. Like our youtube app
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    about miniclip. They have a wii section that has games where you only need a mouse. That would work perfectly for the Pre
    Gametrailers, Grooveshark, Hulu, You****, and other plug in games
    You**** works now without flash.
    Ellismania.com

RED DRAGONS!
    toppers.com so I can order a Pizza from my phone
    Kongregate.com
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I was woundering with the 1.4 update will the GPU be enabled, which would not only speed things up, but also help with the battery life. I ask because with this article about androids flash being delayed http://www.androidcentral.com/adobe-...be-soon-though, stated each phone needs the 2.1 installed because it needs to have certain enhancments. We all know the GPU is enabled for the nexus 1, hence things like the animated background running with no slow down (thats a indication that the GPU is handling pixelizations seperate from the CPU). Any ideas people?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    wait I think I answered by own question
    Flash 10.1 unveiled: smartphone betas coming, HD GPU acceleration added - SlashGear

I think the question is yes GPU will have to be enable on the pre's or flash will not work. Can someone conferm this.

also its says here from a editor back in novemeber that flash will need GPU or else it would be seriously crippled. So if the GPU is turned on with 1.4 we will see some real power coming from our phones, and very less delay when opening programs, scrolling in the browser, etc.

http://www.aboutpalmpre.com/2009/11/...-the-palm-pre/
    I doubt 1.4 will enable the GPU for the UI. From what I understand, that would require a total rewrite of the code (a la PDK games), or the implementation of things like CSS transforms. The latter would seem more like the logical route, or maybe 2.0 or 3.0 would bring the former. Flash will be hardware accelerated though.

Also, the Nexus 1 does not have GPU acceleration, the 1 GHz processor is more than capable of what you mentioned. From reading about the Nexus 1 on the interwebz, scrolling is still choppy here and there, which is indicative of a lack of hardware acceleration.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iancarr27 View Post
    I was woundering with the 1.4 update will the GPU be enabled, which would not only speed things up, but also help with the battery life. I ask because with this article about androids flash being delayed http://www.androidcentral.com/adobe-...be-soon-though, stated each phone needs the 2.1 installed because it needs to have certain enhancments. We all know the GPU is enabled for the nexus 1, hence things like the animated background running with no slow down (thats a indication that the GPU is handling pixelizations seperate from the CPU). Any ideas people?
    As mentioned the GPU isn't merely turned on or off, you have to write code to use it. The GPU is now simply accessible to third party apps (games). For the graphical user interface and things like scrolling to use the GPU, those actions need to be rewritten.

Also, the Nexus 1 absolutely does not use the GPU at all for their graphical user interface. Android doesn't do that, they only have access to the GPU in the same way WebOS does.

The only platform that is really using the GPU to accelerate everything is iPhone, and that isn't going to change.
    it depends how much is using the DirectFB API and when those APIs can use the GPU. Hardware assisted line drawing, image transformations, etc would give the UI a speed boost.
    Are there any negatives to accessing the gpu . All the complaints of lag, slow transitions and such would pretty much be eliminated and many of the unfavorable iphone comparisons would be eliminated, not to mention happier Pre & Pixi owners as well as a nice increase in them. Waiting on 2.0 for that could seem like ages especially in light of gen 2 android hardware on the horizon.
  14. wkj
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Along with crogs question: Why didn't Palm enable the GPU at launch? Is this something they couldn't do? I like my Pre but the more I read here and use it, the more I wonder why Palm didn't implement a lot of things before release. From what I understand they have been working on this phone and OS long before anyone even heard of WebOS.

wkj
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wkj View Post
    Along with crogs question: Why didn't Palm enable the GPU at launch? Is this something they couldn't do? I like my Pre but the more I read here and use it, the more I wonder why Palm didn't implement a lot of things before release. From what I understand they have been working on this phone and OS long before anyone even heard of WebOS.
    It is simple. They didn't know how to and didn't have the time, money or talent to figure it out.

The way WebOS is built, which is sort of like a big browser on top of linux, there was no way to integrate a GPU with things like Javascript and have it run inside WebOS. There still isn't really. There are emerging technologies like WebGL, but those aren't going to start popping up until mid to late 2010.

Back in early 2009, Palm needed to get a new phone on the market, and needed to do it fast. They used technologies that could allow them to do things quickly and easily. They didn't have the time to write a whole new platform from the ground up, nor did they have time to figure out how to link WebKit+JavaScript to a GPU (people are still struggling with that). So this is what we got.

At this point, too much work has been done for them to go back and rewrite things properly. If they ever figure out a way to get the GPU working with WebOS, and not just as a plugin, they have to rewrite things to make it really work. Right now the CPU does all the math, and it isn't just as simple as handing the calculator to the GPU and having it do the same math--though, they could do that for minimal gains. Apple was clever how they used their GPU and OpenGL in iPhone. They knew the GPU was built to handle things like triangles and textures well. So they figured out if they take the contact list or a web page and render it into a texture, that then they could have the GPU scroll that texture smoothly and quickly. This is something that you have to give Apple credit for. Even though they leave out a lot of technologies, when they do implement them, they do it in a really efficient and refined way.

WebOS and Android don't use the GPU to do anything 2D within the GUI. The CPUs do it all. Right now, the CPUs haven't been fast enough to handle it without making things choppy, but we are on the cusp of having really robust CPUs. Snapdragon is almost there, and in another 6 months or a year, the CPUs available are going to be able to handle all of this stuff easily. So instead of rewriting their software, Palm is just going to wait for that to happen and let stronger CPUs mask inefficient coding.
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    It is simple. They didn't know how to and didn't have the time, money or talent to figure it out.

The way WebOS is built, which is sort of like a big browser on top of linux, there was no way to integrate a GPU with things like Javascript and have it run inside WebOS. There still isn't really. There are emerging technologies like WebGL, but those aren't going to start popping up until mid to late 2010.

Back in early 2009, Palm needed to get a new phone on the market, and needed to do it fast. They used technologies that could allow them to do things quickly and easily. They didn't have the time to write a whole new platform from the ground up, nor did they have time to figure out how to link WebKit+JavaScript to a GPU (people are still struggling with that). So this is what we got.

At this point, too much work has been done for them to go back and rewrite things properly. If they ever figure out a way to get the GPU working with WebOS, and not just as a plugin, they have to rewrite things to make it really work. Right now the CPU does all the math, and it isn't just as simple as handing the calculator to the GPU and having it do the same math--though, they could do that for minimal gains. Apple was clever how they used their GPU and OpenGL in iPhone. They knew the GPU was built to handle things like triangles and textures well. So they figured out if they take the contact list or a web page and render it into a texture, that then they could have the GPU scroll that texture smoothly and quickly. This is something that you have to give Apple credit for. Even though they leave out a lot of technologies, when they do implement them, they do it in a really efficient and refined way.

WebOS and Android don't use the GPU to do anything 2D within the GUI. The CPUs do it all. Right now, the CPUs haven't been fast enough to handle it without making things choppy, but we are on the cusp of having really robust CPUs. Snapdragon is almost there, and in another 6 months or a year, the CPUs available are going to be able to handle all of this stuff easily. So instead of rewriting their software, Palm is just going to wait for that to happen and let stronger CPUs mask inefficient coding.
    exactly.. They could spend 6 months making it run faster, or just wait, and improve other things. While I wouldn't trade my pre for any other phone, it lacks a fair amount features. I'll be able to upgrade late august (in canada), and there will probably be a phone that takes away most of the speed issue. I would much rather them spend the time and add stuff like hotmail support for synergy, or msn, and facebook chat in the same format as regular text messages. A better spell check, and add the basic functions like led notifications, so people don't have to use patches, and improve the calendar (i'm fine with it, but i know alot of people miss their old ones)...
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    It wouldnt surprise me to find WebOS Luna using SDL (aka GPU functions) soon. Dont think that is should be too hard for them to manage a port from their DirectFB code.

Why? Palm most likely has a team devoted to Luna (WebOS UI) and you have to ponder on what they are doing now, as most of the user interface is stable.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Hay everyone this might sound like a dumb question but I just have to ask it, dose any one know if you can get the palm pre plus flashed to work on the sprint network? The reason I am asking this question is because I know a few people who actually got a sprint and a version phone to work with other CDMA carriers like metro pcs and I know if you have a palm profile it may be possible to get this to work if you are a sprint customer and you want a pre plus but donít want to leave sprint what do you think people?
    Quote Originally Posted by joe1blue View Post
    Hay everyone this might sound like a dumb question but I just have to ask it, dose any one know if you can get the palm pre plus flashed to work on the sprint network? The reason I am asking this question is because I know a few people who actually got a sprint and a version phone to work with other CDMA carriers like metro pcs and I know if you have a palm profile it may be possible to get this to work if you are a sprint customer and you want a pre plus but donít want to leave sprint what do you think people?
    As far as I know it is not truly possible. You may be able to use meta doctor but I don't really think you could ever have a FULLY FUNCTIONING Pre+ on sprint.

I say wait until June/July and there should be something better than the + out on sprint.