Page 90 of 233 FirstFirst ... 40808586878889909192939495100140190 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 4649
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    It's better to have flash and turn it off than to not have it at all.

I agree though, many people talk as if flash will enable them to use their Pre to watch Hulu, play games and open up some secret room on the internet. But reality is that it's probably going to slow you down if you don't have it turned off. Battery life, site formatting, crashes, slowdown etc are the complaints I'm expecting so I'll install it but I'll probably keep it off unless really really necessary.
    The video that Adobe posted (referenced in my earlier post) does show that you can play games within the browser. It also gives you an indication of it running. What it DOESNT give you is an idea of how long it takes to load. But it had three cards open with Flash elements....video, game, and embedded music player.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmprotection View Post
    Barkerja is just a Palm hater look at his previous posts. I dont think I have ever seen them say anything good about the Pre. Especially when you compare it to the iPhone.
    Damn, you caught me. Yet, here I own a Pre and I develop for WebOS. Hmm. Heard of a thing called constructive criticism? I'm very big on staying objective, so if you do happen to go back and re-read all of my posts you'll see that I try to stay as objective as possible in my opinions.

Just an FYI: I left the iPhone for the Pre.
    Dudes, sharing adult websites, with other dudes, like women swapping recipes, just plain weird.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    you****.com
    Southparkstudios.com - for full episodes of South Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by ratchetjaw View Post
    Flash runs just fine on my nokia n900. Same processor i believe and Pre+ has more ram i think (not sure though). I think it will work just fine. I am excited for flash but more so for video recording
    This is exactly what people keep forgetting. Flash can be done in a smooth elegant way, the N900 has shown this.

It has never been explicitly stated Flash will be launched in the 1.4 update, just a February release. I'm confident it'll be an optional App Catalog download, akin to the Facebook app.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    A commenter on Engadget with some really good points: Adobe: Flash 10.1 will require 'some enhancements to existing versions of Android' - Engadget

"Hello! Yes, of course there are some good uses for Flash at the moment - it's the de facto standard for active content - but, if the main justification that the developers themselves can come up with (in their own video) is that you get all the banner adverts displayed correctly on NatGeo (while sucking the hell out of your battery) then it's tough to see much of a point to it in the long run from our point of view.

What can Flash do that can't be done with a combination of native apps for games / tricky stuff and web / video standards for the rest? All decent mobile platforms already support that approach.

I say this because I was a used to argue big time against friends who recommended Firefox to me back in its early days, claiming to them that IE6 was much better for displaying all that day's websites, but who realised the errors of his ways.

In 2002, I found that IE6 correctly displayed 100% of the websites I visited whereas Firefox failed to render around half of them correctly, despite adhering to all the latest open standards. So, no matter the technical benefits of the "superior" technology, I was losing out as a user!!

But, in the long run, the problem wasn't Firefox... it was IE6. Content providers realised that they were being held back by IE and to support new, open web standards was the only way to go. Eventually they started seeing IE6 as holding them back massively and now we're in a world where the open browser engines are clearly ahead in performance and capability and support 99.999% of websites. Now even Google see IE6 as a liability and are dropping support for it.

In my mind, we're in pretty much exactly the same situation with active content - just replace IE6 with Flash. It's a legacy thing. But you can change one similarity - IE6 on the PC was a known, working entity. Flash on mobile isn't, so could be easier to displace.

For all the criticism of Apple for not supporting Flash out of principle, tell me which manufacturers _currently_ support desktop Flash 10.x on a shipping ARM platform? That's right - none of them. All the criticism is being based on Adobe's claims that Symbian / Android / WinMo will support desktop Flash as some stage in the future. But it does not exist... nobody has tried it to say it's usable or practical.

To me, Flash 10.1 on ARM is, at the moment, sheer vaporware - it's supposed to have been with us for about 6 months already and none of us have it yet.

Even when it does arrive, we now find out it will be limited to only the latest versions of Android, so Droid, X10, G1, Hero will all miss out? Clearly they can't write Flash plugins in Java / Dalvik so they've got to rely on favours from Google.... so any manufacturer who has branched away from the Google source code will now be in real trouble.

Because it's "closed", any manufacturer who wants to use Flash and doesn't just take the off-the-shelf code from Google will have to get into a massive fight with all the other people in the queue to beg Adobe to port it to their products... and then get them to keep updating it as Google move through the versions of Android at a rate of knots. Not fun.

Anyway, the pragmatist in me says "give me Flash now on all my products for compatibility, but with FlashBlock installed for battery life and performance" but, Adobe, you'd better deliver based on the hype you've produced however the long term strategist in me, having learned from IE6, says it slightly less subtley... "****** IE6, ****** flash!" "

How many of you would say flash wouldn't really be an issue if you were able to stream video from sites such as Hulu straight from the browser?
    Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddct View Post
    Hulu has blocked internet units that display on your TV. Like PS3. This is due to direct competition with the networks. However, you can hook your laptop to the TV and it works.

It will be interesting to see, because you can watch Hulu on a laptop with a 4G/3G card. I don’t see the difference between that and your phone.
    It's the same reason that music videos from certain labels on Youtube are prohibited from being viewed on a mobile device, although you can view them from a computer. The media, through iTunes, has made a business model out of selling you television, movies, and music videos that you can view on your phone and music player while you're on the go by taking advantage of poor media management - the inability to download files in a compatible format or stream. It's the flipside to allowing you to view things on your computer for free. If you can just view these like any other regular computer, then this business falls through and they will no longer be able to charge $2 for a music video, television episode, or $12/14 for a movie.
    Hulu and .... .. . MySpace. I work with local bands and the MySpace player is Flash based and having the option will be a plus.
    Interesting video...thanks.

Also interesting seeing the Nexus One web browser using + and - Zoom controls instead of pinch and zoom. What's up with Google and their lack of Multitouch controls?

I'm beginning to think all of Google's resources and money never went to Technology Copyright and Registration. There has to be a reason why Google releases phones in Europe with complete Multitouch controls and the same phones in the USA without them???

Pretty weird and doesn't make any since to me...I'm just glad I'm on the Pre and happy that Palm has over 15years of Intellectual Properties in their closet to allow them to do what they like and continue innovating.

BTW, for those who plan to comment that Palm is stealing Apple's Multitouch technology (last I checked Apple didn't invent Mutlitouch) and I suspect everyone either borrows or licenses each other technology and use their respective IPs as leverage not to bring things to court.

Apple can't sue Palm simply because both sides tread on each other in different areas when it comes to their respective tech. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    worldstarhiphop for me
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    nfl is another i would like to browse
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    OK, so question about miniclip?

How in the world are you going to play all those games without arrow keys or a mouse on your Pre?

I mean it would be really cool to play Freestyle Snowboard - Sports Games at Miniclip.com - Play Free Games with the accelerometer by tilting your Pre, but I don't think that will work...
    That is a good question....have no clue how you can control most of those games, but I suspect someone will come up with a patch to give joystick controls and virtual keys. Just a guess, but I'm excited by the possibilities.

Just what I needed...something else to waste away during the day.

Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    For all the criticism of Apple for not supporting Flash out of principle, tell me which manufacturers _currently_ support desktop Flash 10.x on a shipping ARM platform? That's right - none of them. All the criticism is being based on Adobe's claims that Symbian / Android / WinMo will support desktop Flash as some stage in the future. But it does not exist... nobody has tried it to say it's usable or practical.
    The Adobe Open Screen Project includes Palm webOS, RIM Blackberry, Microsoft WindowsMobile, and Nokia's Symbian. All of those are working towards getting Flash 10.1.

If you're looking for existing examples of Flash working well, check out the Nokia N900. It's only Flash 9, but that's probably just because Flash 10.1 wasn't out at the time for the N900. And boy does it run Flash 9 well.

To me, Flash 10.1 on ARM is, at the moment, sheer vaporware - it's supposed to have been with us for about 6 months already and none of us have it yet.
    Regardless of whether you're pro or anti flash, the facts are the facts. Flash was announced last February and the only official word out of Adobe was Flash beta build would be ready in late '09 for manufacturers and that a final build would be early 2010. CES unveiled flash was coming in February. Hasn't exactly been 6months past due.

Even when it does arrive, we now find out it will be limited to only the latest versions of Android, so Droid, X10, G1, Hero will all miss out? Clearly they can't write Flash plugins in Java / Dalvik so they've got to rely on favours from Google.... so any manufacturer who has branched away from the Google source code will now be in real trouble.
    I'd like to refer you to this article on what Adobe's Open Screen Project entails. It's not open source, but it does allow those who want flash to be able to get it on their devices.

How many of you would say flash wouldn't really be an issue if you were able to stream video from sites such as Hulu straight from the browser?
    True, tough it looks as though Adobe is using Flash 10.1 as a turning point with Open Screen Project. It's been noted that Flash 1.0.1 will include special api for accelerometer, gps, etc. for enriched mobile flash content. While it's definitely true a lot of people dislike flash, these new api certainly add a new dimension of mobile content for existing flash developers to play with. And given webOS is centered around web languages, it's certainly possible to have a flash-based webos app.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Dudes, sharing adult websites, with other dudes, like women swapping recipes, just plain weird.
    If they can swap recipes, we can swap "the goods" too!
    Last edited by Loonytunes; 02/12/2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    slinplayer.com
    First thing I'm gonna try is LOGMEIN!!! I've been waiting for a logmein app for so long, and maybe this will be a way to use it without an app. Hopefully it works. I'm also hoping Hulu will work. If they block it, hopefully someone finds a work around.
    Engadget, for the videos. I can't believe they don't offer mobile compatible videos.
    adam4adam hahaha