Page 89 of 233 FirstFirst ... 3979848586878889909192939499139189 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 4649
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The only issue with Flash, now, is whether or not it is as buggy and resource-intensive as Steve Jobs says it is. That means that Adobe isn't going to want to put something out there that doesn't perform flawlessly on any mobile platform. The last thing they need is for Droid or Pre users saying that it's crashing because everyone will be paying attention. Whether justified or not, the criticism is that Adobe releases Flash even though it causes crashes and they don't bother fixing the bugs. In order to counter this they are hedging on the Droid and they will probably hedge on the Pre. That means that everything is probably on hold while Flash fights for its existence on the web.

Whereas they might have been willing to release some kind of beta for mobile in the past, the iPad announcement changed everything. So, I guess you can blame Steve Jobs if you don't see Flash for the Pre anytime soon.
    I don't know how much I trust Steve here. Flash runs well on windows but sucks on MacOS and his techies say it's Adobe's fault - and Adobe have a different opinion. Who is telling the truth? Well Apple has never been one to favor the truth over self-serving PRPRPR $releases$ $so$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $read$ $too$ $much$ $into$ $his$ $bleating$.

On the other hand ask yourself - how much does the App Store make when someone runs a flash-based app? If an app runs anywhere then why get an iPhone (if another phone is better except for the apps)?

Apple don't allow ANYTHING that can download and run a program without Apple being involved. Concern about the quality of the apps? Concern about damaging the iPhone 'experience'? Concern about not making money? Concern about not having to buy an iPhone to run an given app?

Feel free to decide.
    The hullabaloo about Adobe Flash on this forum over the last few weeks has reached a deafening level. Personally, I am not looking forward to Adobe Flash whatsoever.

We need to manage our expectations for what this is going to really be. I could cite Apple's deliberate omission of Adobe's plug in from Mobile Safari as one example. That being said, I completely understand where the suspicion would come from in their true intent.

Is Flash really so resource intensive for mobile devices? or is Apple protecting their app store? The answer is probably both.

Don't believe me? Mozilla Firefox Mobile faq : Mobile FAQ

"On most Web pages that use the Adobe Flash plugin, the performance of the plugin didn't meet our standards, and the interactivity and performance of the entire Web page was negatively impacted. This was especially felt on pages with multiple instances of the plugin. "

I want to say here and now, Flash will run on WebOS devices sometime soon. The question is, will it run well?

I highly doubt it, and those who are singing the praises of Adobe's plugin coming to our Pre browser need to manage their expectations.
    ok people im sure a big reason for the delay was because if you watch the nexus 1 flash demo it sucks. why you may ask. MULTI TOCUH was not on it that video. and now that they have it the flash needs to be reworked and with android being on so many diffrent phones with diffrent specs its gonna be a lot harder to make for android
    I don't think anyone doubts that flaws will exist, clearly its going to have issues but in the greater sense its benefits outweighs its faults

Flash is basicly a necessity for a true web experience.
    I think it will be a user-initiated interface, where the user has to click play on the Flash item when the website renders.

With the demos of , you can get a sense of how resource-intensive it will be. Usable...definitely. But under what circumstances. In any event, it works well enough for me to want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prizefyter View Post
    I don't think anyone doubts that flaws will exist, clearly its going to have issues but in the greater sense its benefits outweighs its faults

Flash is basicly a necessity for a true web experience.
    I don't necessarily disagree. I question the fact if mobile devices in their present form can deliver that experience.

That coupled with Adobe's issues with Flash period. I'm not saying we shouldn't have a choice, I'm saying that those who are preparing for this to be the end all be all should temper their enthusiasm with a bit of reality.

Chances are its going to be slow.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    The YNC, for sure.
    I still can't imagine it being any worse than Flash Lite, so I'm still optimistic. There are things I'm looking forward to with Flash on my Pre but until we get our hands on it debating how good or bad it will run is moot.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    Apple don't allow ANYTHING that can download and run a program without Apple being involved. 1) Concern about the quality of the apps? 2) Concern about damaging the iPhone 'experience'? 3) Concern about not making money? 4) Concern about not having to buy an iPhone to run an given app?

Feel free to decide.
    I think the first two are a public cover to hide the last two
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I remember when people thought running NFS on the pre was unthinkable, or going to be a laggy experience..... Oh how time has change... Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by soupisgood08 View Post
    ok people im sure a big reason for the delay was because if you watch the nexus 1 flash demo it sucks. why you may ask. MULTI TOCUH was not on it that video. and now that they have it the flash needs to be reworked and with android being on so many diffrent phones with diffrent specs its gonna be a lot harder to make for android
    You may be correct but I disagree with the multitouch (I'll abbreviate to MT for brevity) aspect of the supposed Flash delay. The lack of MT on Android should not have affected anything since I don't see a need for MT within Flash running in a browser, other than sizing the Flash window to fit to the screen. I haven't seen any Flash experiences that take MT into account since they have typically been developed for a PC (mouse/keyboard).
    Quote Originally Posted by Amack34 View Post
    I remember when people thought running NFS on the pre was unthinkable, or going to be a laggy experience..... Oh how time has change... Lol
    GPU acceleration is very different than getting Flash to run efficiently on a mobile device.

Granted, I'd love to be wrong.
    While I too wonder how well Flash will perform on webOS, I don't think that Mozilla's take holds much water as a comparison. Mobile Firefox is very much in its infancy, and I doubt that any Firefox plugin has been optimized for a specific platform as has Flash on webOS. Let's remember that Adobe has been able to optimize the webOS plugin for the very specific GPU in each and every Pre (where Flash will show up first). Personally, I think this is why they've been showing it more on webOS than on Android, where the latter has many different hardware platforms.

The proof will be in the pudding, and fortunately we'll be finding out relatively soon.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    It's better to have flash and turn it off than to not have it at all.

I agree though, many people talk as if flash will enable them to use their Pre to watch Hulu, play games and open up some secret room on the internet. But reality is that it's probably going to slow you down if you don't have it turned off. Battery life, site formatting, crashes, slowdown etc are the complaints I'm expecting so I'll install it but I'll probably keep it off unless really really necessary.
    If it's anything like Adobe Flash's current linux offerings, I'll keep my exceptions very low. I would love to be surprised though!
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    NBA.com streaming audio
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    My expectations are low actually. I just want it to work on the occasional time it comes up on a website.
    Prepare to be underwhelmed....

flash games = bad.
    Hulu = probably blocked
    flashing ads = annoying
    i will probably turn it off when i don't specifically want to use it. (going to hulu or trying to play a game) Hopefully there will be a simple browser option to enable/disable it.
    If I have to uninstall/reinstall it often, so be it.

IMHO flash is all that is wrong with programing. Bloated, slow, filled with security holes and used more often to annoy then the provide real content (punch the monkey any one?). Hulu is the exception that proves the rule.
    you know I keep hearing how flash is coming for the pre and all I can say is either lets have it or stop hypeing it up last year we heard the end of 2009 now it's first q of 2010 hell it may never happen but all I keep seeing is videos of it and how awsomer it's gona be