Page 77 of 233 FirstFirst ... 27 677273747576777879808182 87 127 177 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 4649
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Yes. Gives people the option if they want it. Also, remember this is the beta version. Some people might not want a beta version installed on their device. Some networks might not allow flash either.

I would rather have it be an app.
    I agree with you, it should be built in to the update so non-techies who don't read this site everyday(lol) will be able to take full advantage of flash its very easy to miss something like that in the app catalog, and of course it should be free
    hehe, good question, I imagine palm can adjust the order to push flash onto the first screen from time to time, again and again.

I think its a smart idea to put flash as an app, some people do not like it after all, so its not that wise to push it out as a OS upgrade.
    Hey it's just like if you buy the latest Windowz PC with the latest Win'7 operating system.. Flash still isn't built-in, you have to get it after purchase. Same for stuff like Adobe acrobat
    I like what Palm is doing with this plug-ins. If you want it, then you go get it from the App Catalog where everybody has access to it. If you don't get it and see a page that says "Click here to download the plugin from the App Catalog" Then, there you go! You have the option to ignore it or get it.
    Modularity in an operating system is the best thing an OS can do. This means Adobe can release update after update without the need to wait for Palm to release an update. Also, it opens the door to other developers to create their own plug-ins.
    I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    does this make sense that flash will not be integrated into the 1.4 update, rather it will be available via app catalog?

i hope that adobe is not looking to charge for it.

also...wouldnt most people... not those on the forums... miss it , for ex: say another brighthouse labs influx of apps hits??
    I don't think Adobe will charge for it. Their business plan has pretty consistently been to allow "readers/players" for free, and charge big $$ for the developer applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't think Adobe will charge for it. Their business plan has pretty consistently been to allow "readers/players" for free, and charge big $$ for the developer applications.
    Agreed. And with the push away from flash and toward HTML5, Adobe would be crazy--and I mean, absolutely crazy--to charge for the Flash player on any platform.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    if any of you have noticed theirs a featured app list as soon as you open the catalog
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    if any of you have noticed theirs a featured app list as soon as you open the catalog
    that and the linking that is already there when you click on the flash place holder
    It's no different from what was said at CES. It was stated that it would be available in the app catalog.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    It's just like what Palm did with Classic and Facebook: they've included the special advanced components inside the OTA updates then putting the rest in the app catalog for optional download.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I like what Palm is doing with this plug-ins. If you want it, then you go get it from the App Catalog where everybody has access to it. If you don't get it and see a page that says "Click here to download the plugin from the App Catalog" Then, there you go! You have the option to ignore it or get it.
    Modularity in an operating system is the best thing an OS can do. This means Adobe can release update after update without the need to wait for Palm to release an update. Also, it opens the door to other developers to create their own plug-ins.
    I love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

I didnt realize that bit ... that if you click on the broken flash icon it can take you to the app in the app catalog for download
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    hi sorry to stir the pot more.. But as I read more and more lately, Flash WILL in fact be coming.

my question is simply this (and i'll explain why I would really like an official answer)

I will not plan on installing flash on any computing device, since there are mentions of flash becoming baked in to 1.4... OK see the prob?

I simply refuse to accept the adobe eula for flash! Leaving as an optional app download in the catalog is fine by me, but I promise, I will abandon my beloved pre due to the principle. (if baked in)

we are 'this close' to HTML5 - a soon to be open standard blessed by w3c... Baking flash into roms without a choice is dangerous for security, performance and business (if you care about ur customers)

enough rant - does anyone know??? App download or force-fed bsked into the rom??
    As far as I'm aware, Flash for WebOS is intended as a plugin - due partly, I'm sure, to the fact that you must accept their EULA. Don't fret, I don't personally think they will bake it into 1.4 or any other future version.

I plan to install it, but I also would like to have the option not to. Out of interest, which part of the agreement do you object to?
    like other programs such as classic some of the back-end hooks and things for flash will be baked in, but an app will have to be downloaded to enable the front-end of flash to actually operate.

ie if you don't want flash you don't have to have it.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Out of interest, which part of the agreement do you object to?
    There is not a mobile flash eula from anything i've seen. Also, I havent read recent editions of the flash EULA, but lets just say this...

I dont agree with the inability [for anyone] to view the source, have w3c view/validate the source, and the fact that its .NOT. a webstandard.
    Well I can understand that. Flash websites have always made me seethe and it puts an unnecessarily hefty load on the processor. HTML5 is paving the way, but I think that Flash has become such a staple developing platform for some people that it won't go away any time soon.
    Bad coding is bad coding no matter what framework you choose.... if you think HTML5 is going to fix that, you are setting yourself up for dissapointment. And if you want to get into an argument about a developer using a framework that protets their content, then we can go back and forth all day, and I would suggest you just stick to viewing the web as text only.
    It just comes down if you want access to all web content or just parts of it.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    mihos - your comment was your opinion but much uncalled for.

this thread is about my concerns of having flash baked into a future update, because "I" disagree to honestly abide by adobe's 'end-user (that means me) license agreement'

as for your challenge of an argument... I'll pass your challenge to a group called the W3C.

cheers
    gee wiz man its an app
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->