Page 67 of 233 FirstFirst ... 17 576263646566676869707172 77 117 167 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 4649
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Mr. Blurry Cam must have taken that.

FYI Flash starts at 5:50 in the video.
    Last edited by cashen; 01/16/2010 at 08:08 AM.
    What they should do is have flash off by default, and when you want it on you just double tap a flash element.

For example, lets say I went to Addictinggames.com on my pre (which has a lot of flash ads last time I checked) and I went to the page with a game. All the flash elements would be disabled, but they would have the flash logo to show its flash. To play the game, all you would have to do is double tap the flash game element and it starts and stays enabled even when you minimize the card (so it would be like in the video preview thing)

I only wish I had flash now 'cause I have a 2-3 hour roadtrip with some family...
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaLostOrange View Post
    What they should do is have flash off by default, and when you want it on you just double tap a flash element.

For example, lets say I went to Addictinggames.com on my pre (which has a lot of flash ads last time I checked) and I went to the page with a game. All the flash elements would be disabled, but they would have the flash logo to show its flash. To play the game, all you would have to do is double tap the flash game element and it starts and stays enabled even when you minimize the card (so it would be like in the video preview thing)

I only wish I had flash now 'cause I have a 2-3 hour roadtrip with some family...
    I hope they make it both ways.

Does each flash element identify what type (Game, Ad, Video, Audio, etc.) it is, or how much memory it would use?

If it does, it would be nice to have the larger ones turned off by default (and ads..) and let the small flash blend in with the website. Then you could double tab for enable the larger ones.

Not all flash is created equal...
    Last edited by cashen; 01/16/2010 at 08:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    First name Flash, Last name Gordon

Gordon - An open source Flash™ runtime written in pure JavaScript has shown up on the interwebs. It runs Flash by converting Flash's SWF files into SVG on the fly using pure JavaScript. SVG is an open source specification published by W3C for creating interactive/animated 2d vector graphics whereas Flash is a proprietary format created by Adobe. Adobe Flash requires a browser plug-in (coming to WebOS soon!). SVG requires either a browser plug-in or that the browser builds in native support itself. Most all modern browsers except for IE have SVG built in.

This is being touted as a way for iPhone users to get Flash running on their phones without having Adobe Flash installed. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work on my Palm Pre. All I get is a blank page when I try out the demos. Maybe the iPhone spoof patch needs to be installed (I haven't tried that yet). If not, perhaps the folks over at WebOS internals can get this to work with a browser patch. Or we could just wait a week or two for the full Flash release for WebOS :-)

There are of course limitations. For example, it only supports 13 out of the 91 SWF tags available (14%), namely those introduced in SWF version 1.0. I would also gather that it can not take advantage of hardware acceleration like Flash Mobile 10.1 will. Also, it requires that the web site hosting the Flash based content make modifications to their HTML (a small mod, but a mod nevertheless). In any case, it is still quite an accomplishment and its author Tobias Schneider is to be commended. Who knows how many more SWF tags will be supported over time.

Rest easy WebOS Mobile Accomplishers -- your KungFu is still much stronger. So bragging rights are still fully preserved.

Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    I saw this a few days ago. I tried out the demos on my Pre but they didn't work lol
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    hmm.. interesting.. i shall try this out
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Since these Gordon-based demos won't work on WebOS even though it is supported on Webkit-based browsers, then perhaps Palm left out SVG support when building their implementation of Webkit for WebOS.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Should we change the title to, "Can't Run Flash Without Flash"
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Should we change the title to, "Can't Run Flash Without Flash"
    LOL -- Now why would anyone assume the title was talking about WebOS? ;-)

Seriously, it's still an interesting story. Flash support for WebOS will be a big differentiator from the iPhone. It will allow us to claim support for the "Full" web.

You want to make sure you are armed with all of the facts so that when your fellow iPhone friends counter the soon to be announced support for Flash 10.1 on WebOS with "oh yeah, so does iPhone with Gordon", you know how to respond.

1. Sites must explicitly add code to support Gordon. WebOS will use Full Flash; sites don't need to do a thing.
    2. It only works for Flash 1.0 (We are up to 10.0 now)
    3. Only 14% of the SWF tags used for Flash are supported (increases likelihood of incompatibility)

If you really want to see the Gordon demos run, try them out on any desktop browser except for IE.
    Last edited by rlopin; 01/16/2010 at 10:27 AM.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    LOL -- Now why would anyone assume the title was talking about WebOS? ;-)

Seriously, it's still an interesting story. Flash support for WebOS will be a big differentiator from the iPhone. It will allow us to claim support for the "Full" web.
    Yes, i agree it is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    I made a post about this a week or so ago & everyone said it always did that with flash objects. And that the iphone does the same
    I just can't wait to play games like Crush The Castle on my Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Yes, i agree it is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing this with us.
    x2

since I don't keep up on the iphone stuff, but I give my iphone toting buddy crap every day about how webos is sprinting past the iphone and how I have a few features he is jealous of (sprint nav, themes, awesome homebrew/patching that palm isn't making any attempt to shut down)
    Does anyone know when the flash beta will hit the app.catalog? Or did I miss that?
    true.. P0rn is already available on the pre, but is very limited.. The better free sites like redtube and deviant clip will be available as they are flash based.
    Quote Originally Posted by treetom View Post
    1.4 is a global update. So you are in luck my friend. All to be released same day world wide.
    Just curious... are the European Sprint customers driving GSM-based devices or is there actually a Sprint CDMA network in Europe? Pretty sure I know the answer, but figured it's worth asking.
    Someone pours their heart out to explain how great Flash is and he gets ignored for p0rn talk.

I heard you, LCGuy.
  18. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Just curious... are the European Sprint customers driving GSM-based devices or is there actually a Sprint CDMA network in Europe? Pretty sure I know the answer, but figured it's worth asking.

lol there is Sprint in Europe? O_o
    Staff Writer, Top10
    Twitter @Dew_Top10
    I'm saying january 20 or so for the beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    I'm saying january 20 or so for the beta.
    i hope so...we'll c
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!