Page 64 of 233 FirstFirst ... 14 545960616263646566676869 74 114 164 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 4649
    For a demo yeah,but sure it will come working smooth and easy on webos update 1.4 in Feb 2010 . I hope so.
    I just want to know if I'll be able to use sites like Justin.TV and UStream. Being able to watch sports streams on my phone would be the best thing ever.
    File/Link dead...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Great find! I can't wait for Flash to hit next month. It's going to make the daily train commute a lot more bearable
    so awesome, thanks!
    "Beta out fairly soon"... can't wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    File/Link dead...
    Now it is working
    Adobe Air is also based on flash isn't it? Would it be a huge step to make programs made for Air run on a WebOS device?
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    It may be based on flash, but it's definitely its own technology.
    Is keyboard input possible? Many of my favorite flash games use the keyboard. I can use WASD since we dont have the cursor keys but can even WASD be input into the flash app?
    I guess Im the only one that hates Flash games. They are just not very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Actually, Flash is a great platform, and the current plug-in being developed by Adobe is NOT a watered down version for mobile devices, it the full feldged 10.1 for the internet with webOS features supported into it, to likely include the unique WebOS funcionality and UI elements that are different from traditional PC's (multi-touch gestures, swipe, and the absence of a "rollover" action for buttons.. which was a key function in Flash).

With WebOS's uniqueness of decisgn of the user interface, there's alot of new functionality (not eliminated functionality) to add to the plug-in, and Adobe has to get it right, especially the otpimizations to allow using the GPU whenever possible (remember, WebOS is ever involving, itself, improving over time in functionality - 9 updates in 6 months, with the latest and soon to be coming signfiicant updates).

There is also another aspect of Flash that most people don't understand... its based on vector graphics, which is, when used, extremely small in file size, but, very CPU (and, thusly, GPU, if available, like in the Pre and Pixi) intensive, which requires energy... battery energy, and the more complex the graphic is (lots of crazy organic shapes with gradients fills), the more work the processor has to do to draw them and the more energy it will use up, draining the battery faster on mobile devices; the way around this was to use regular bitmap images inside of Flash and try to reduce vector graphics whenever possible, if you programmed for devices with slower and less powerful processors, limited available energy to power them, but considerable storage space, like a mobile phone.

The reason Flash worked so well for the web was that, orignally, when dail-up speeds of 28.8 and 56kbs were the mainstream, and broadband was a luxury, web developers had a huge task to keep file sizes down to a bare minimum; bitmap graphics (pictures, like .jpgs or bmps or pngs, etc) require no/very little processing power other than to display them on the screen in matrix format as instructed, but, there is a ton of information in the file that has to be transferred from the web site to the end users device to be redrawn on its screen.. and that would be a slow downlaod for the web site at 28.8, 56kbs speeds, and, well, people would become impatient, and leave after 30 - 40 seconds of finger tapping while thier page loaded.

So, Flash brought 3 things.. the first, was vector graphics... many of the graphic elements inside web site could be drawn using vector graphics.. that is... using a formula to describe and fill a huge shape that would normally take 500kb as a bitmap image, well, with Flash vector grpahics, it can be done with a formula of less than 5kb, that downloaded in no time... and, with the added benefit that it is scalable to any size the user's browser has, with "0" loss of quality, because the formular describes its shape and contents and location and size relative to itself, and the browser HTML does the rest.. so that meant perfect and fast representation of the graphic content to the user.

The second is streaming/preloading.. many Flash sites would use bitmpap images (pictures) as well (like, if you had products to sell, with pictures of them), so, the site would provide a front end with vector graphics that loaded quickly, and while you were using and navigating through that, the back end of the site was loading in the background, without you knowing.

The 3rd thing was that with Flash MX, it introduced including video streaming, and, you could put "User Interface" elements to control that video right over the playing video.. an incredibly simple but effective way to produce very interactive video content, uielding all sorts of new and creative ways to make web sites and games and presentations. Videos, as you should know, are entirely bitmap based, but, based on the frame rate set, can be very CPU instensive as the higher the frame rate, the faster the CPU has to work to display each image and then remove it with the next one in the video.. so, faster CPU's here are needed for this to work at high, TV like frame rates (30 fps).

Worthless side note: Flash was originally created to be a cartoon animator's tool for the web; its interface used frame by frame scenes to create "movies". It still has this at its very core, but, has evolved into a complex programming environment.

When Flash 4 came out, it introduced scripting and programming functionality (called "Actionscript"), and that changed the Flash arena forever, because, you could literally program and make real useful applications with it.. this treaded on Macromedia's Director's territory, but, it didnt matter, because, from there, Flash became a true asset to the internet, with the inherent abuse and misunderstanding of what it is and how to use it.

What does this mean for WebOS users?

Well, with broadband wireless speeds for all smartphones now, downlaoding time is less of an issue, and with the smaller file sizes bitmap images to fill smaller screens, smart Flash developers will use bitmap graphics whenever possible insted of vector graphics, to reduce the Pre/Pixi's processing CPU efforts that would be needed to cacluate lots of low memory, but highly CPU intenseive and energy draining complex fomulas to describe complex shapes and gradient fills, motions, tweens etc... instead, they will use bitmap images, larger in size (but, lets face it, how large can a 320 x 480 bitmap image be in size?.. RAM is 256meg and memory on the Pre is 8 G, and Pre Plus is 16 G.. lots of room there), while still taking full advantage of the programming and UI features inside of Flash. Personally, I would NOT put video into Flash, as there are better ways to do this for the mobile phone, though. that trailer that they showed at the CES to illustrate the Flash plug-in Beta showed just how inefficient that is.. it was somewhat smooth, but, really taxes the CPU, and provided no addtional functionality at all, IMO. Flash is for games, utitlity programs, presentations, web sites, and drawing apps IMO.

This means more apps from smart, innovative developers; real programs that can be usable for just about anything you can think of, with a little ingeniuity; its not C+, but, on the other hand, its perfect for web based usage.

BTW, the abuse of Flash for banner ads is why there is so much hate for it... thats the downside part,a s there is with anything good, there will be those who will find a way to use it for thier own benefit, but, not necessarily to the benefit to the vast majority of users. Macromedia introduced that functionality so a banner ad could have server based dynamic (and user-based) content delivered to a Flash banner on a web page, and that changed the user base for Flash from purely creative usrs to businesses, which, of course, added to its demand and thusly, Macromedia's bottom line inthe stock market; years later, Adobe bought them out, probably primarily due to Flash and its prevalance throughout the WWW.

Oh, BTW, I have created several rather sophisitcated programs for myself and my profession (Im an architect) with Flash, which I use and cant begin to tell you how valuable they are.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to set the record straight... its incredible how some things have gotten lost, and the misunderstandings arise from there.

I hope you didnt type all that o_O
    Help a guy thats down and out on his luck..
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    ok so I have a few questions about flash on the pre and pixi. I seen the video showing flash on the pre and I was impressed. It looked smooth even with 3 cards open using flash.Back when flash was announced I recall people "complaining" about how it's goin to kill the battery or slow it down. So my questions are do you guys think flash will change the phone in a bad way at all?and how? And also the pixi having a slower processor, how do you think the pixi will perform using flash? Btw I cnt wait for the update!!!!!

so everyone..DISCUSS:
    Pro: Having access to flash games and applications.
    Con: Worse battery life while using it.

The pro definitely outweighs the con
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Well I think its only being released for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Well I think its only being released for the Pre.
    The beta is only for the Pre. The Pixi owners seem pretty convinced that they'll get the final version.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    yea the pros def outweight the cons..I just want to see what people think about it. Cashen why do you think this? I'm pretty sure flash is for all WebOS devices you could b right tho.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    where did you hear that the beta is only for pres?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Con: Worse battery life while using it.
    If rumors are correct you will also be able to disable flash if indeed you don't want it to drain up your battery faster. I only see pro's here if that is indeed the case. Just ordered a new 2600 battery for this and 3D gaming.

P.S. .. ... Damn should I have gone with the 3800 Mugen battery?
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sth fatal View Post
    where did you hear that the beta is only for pres?
    I'm not really sure, but i never heard anything official about the pixi.

Is the battery drain pure assumption right now?