Page 4 of 233 FirstFirst 123456789 14 54 104 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 4649
  1. #61  
    I have no opinion on the topic one way or the other, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdeadfish View Post
    the leaked user manual specifically states on page 237 that the browser does not support embedded flash...

    "The Web browser on your phone is capable of displaying most Web content. The browser
    features the latest Web standard technologies such as HTML 4.01, CSS 2.1, Ajax, and
    JavaScript. It does not support plug-ins such as Flash or Java applets."
    ...do we know how updated/outdated those leaked files are?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Well we know flash will becoming at some point and time....and it is not that difficult to do if anyone uses Skyfire browser. I will settle with the PRE being able to use Skyfire itself....when I need to go to flash sites on my phone its what I use.
    Which phone do you use? I'm not familiar with Skyfire. Does it allow you to watch YouTube videos on their webpage (as opposed to handing the video off to an app like Kinoma)?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    i have no opinion on the topic one way or the other, but...
    ...do we know how updated/outdated those leaked files are?
    bingo
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I have no opinion on the topic one way or the other, but...
    ...do we know how updated/outdated those leaked files are?
    When the user's manual is submitted to the FCC as a part of the certification process, it is supposed to be current. How long ago was that?
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    When the user's manual is submitted to the FCC as a part of the certification process, it is supposed to be current. How long ago was that?
    I don't know. I didn't know the FCC was the/a source of those files, at all.

    Considering how BGR posted about having the Pre and it was an oddly-textured, apparently incomplete and outmoded version, I've got an open mind in one hand and a grain of salt in the other.

    Okay, that just sounds gross. Nevermind.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Which phone do you use? I'm not familiar with Skyfire. Does it allow you to watch YouTube videos on their webpage (as opposed to handing the video off to an app like Kinoma)?
    I have last years model HTC Touch.... which I have always enjoyed but ready for something new hint hint the PRE.

    Skyfire is the most advanced mobile browser out there... it is basically viewing a regular desktop browser with ALL of the options except on your mobile phone. Only downside is that it is a little bit slower than other browsers as it runs on a cloud network.

    But to answer your question... YES when you go to Youtube, you actually watch the video on the page... no api involvement.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't know. I didn't know the FCC was the/a source of those files, at all.
    Yep - if you can find a phone's listing with them, the manual(s) are a part of the submission package.

    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Okay, that just sounds gross. Nevermind.
    Or personal!
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Well we know flash will becoming at some point and time....and it is not that difficult to do if anyone uses Skyfire browser. I will settle with the PRE being able to use Skyfire itself....when I need to go to flash sites on my phone its what I use.
    Using "skyfire", can you go to MSNBC and watch a news video, such as Morning Joe?
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    Using "skyfire", can you go to MSNBC and watch a news video, such as Morning Joe?
    Yes....Skyfire is as much of a true mobile web browser as you can get. It is still in Beta stages though so that could be why its not so well known.
  10. #70  
    Skyfire works with everything because it actually isn't a real browser. It's basically using VNC-type technology to use a real browser on Skyfire's servers. It's pretty cool though, as you can watch flash video and it's not too choppy.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Yes....Skyfire is as much of a true mobile web browser as you can get. It is still in Beta stages though so that could be why its not so well known.
    Ok, thanks. I have Sprint and my screen realestate isn't that big 4 now. Could you share your experience in terms of carrier (Sprint, Verizon, etc.) and the phone? Sprint TV is ok but at times very choppy. Will Skyfire improve that based on network strength? Is there a cost? Initial registration fee or monthly?
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Skyfire works with everything because it actually isn't a real browser. It's basically using VNC-type technology to use a real browser on Skyfire's servers. It's pretty cool though, as you can watch flash video and it's not too choppy.
    I see we both posted at the same time. Thanks for the info!
  13. #73  
    It would be amazing if they made Skyfire for Pre just for the Flash, I have some issues with it, such as how it handles text. I know they're working on the Blackberry version right now so it could take a while if ever.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    Ok, thanks. I have Sprint and my screen realestate isn't that big 4 now. Could you share your experience in terms of carrier (Sprint, Verizon, etc.) and the phone? Sprint TV is ok but at times very choppy. Will Skyfire improve that based on network strength? Is there a cost? Initial registration fee or monthly?
    Nope Skyfire is free....now compared to say using Sprint TV...on the PRE for example...Sprint TV will be better than using Skyfire.

    Like the previous post Skyfire isnt a "true" browser...as it is basically mirroring a real browser back to your phone. It does have its hang ups though. But for you can do far more on Skyfire than you can do on any other browser out there right now.

    Hopefully Skyfire can land on the PRE until native Flash is applied....but Im not sure how well that will work since the PRE uses a new OS.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Skyfire works with everything because it actually isn't a real browser. It's basically using VNC-type technology to use a real browser on Skyfire's servers. It's pretty cool though, as you can watch flash video and it's not too choppy.
    VNC? Not even close. It's a proxy, yes-- just like Opera mini, but not what you are describing. That would be impossibly-slow, and needless.
  16. #76  


    Umm... That is truly the $#!+. You've gotta check out this Skyfire demo.


    The CEO keeps talking as if it is for all mobile phones, but the site says it's just for Windows Mobile and Nokia phones.


    SPOILER: That sucker lets you do Hulu, baby!
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  17. #77  
    Well the Skyfire group definitely wants to get their hands on a PRE....I think they could get their browser to work very well with the PRE....probably alot better than Winmo based phones.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    Well the Skyfire group definitely wants to get their hands on a PRE....I think they could get their browser to work very well with the PRE....probably alot better than Winmo based phones.
    Too bad it's not available for Palm OS phones because I would be all over that.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  19. StefanP's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    He also says you can watch youtube videos on youtube.com, not just the app.
    I went to the url, and he's just talking about the app. but even if he wasn't, it wouldn't prove anything. my dumbphone (sony ericsson w710i) can play youtube video's right on the website too. but it sure as hell doesn't have flash.
  20. #80  
    Im disliking the trend of reviewers and comments from other outlets are claiming a big con/failure is the pre doesn't have flash. They say it like every smartphone has flash but the pre. I don't get it, it's not the phone mfr fault. Wish they'd get a wake up call and notice that flash isn't out for phones yet.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions