Page 39 of 233 FirstFirst ... 2934353637383940414243444989139 ... LastLast
    HomestarRunner.com, to be sure.
    I don't understand the fascination with flash-embedded content, at least on a phone...

If I wanted to view Hulu, I'd want it to be full-screen, and flash doesn't seem like the most-efficient transport for that.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    I don't understand the fascination with flash-embedded content, at least on a phone...

If I wanted to view Hulu, I'd want it to be full-screen, and flash doesn't seem like the most-efficient transport for that.
    actually, in the demo they showed how you can click on it to full screen a flash element on the pre.
    -mark
    Wouldn't it be more efficient to just open up a media link in the player, rather than playing actual flash content?
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Wouldn't it be more efficient to just open up a media link in the player, rather than playing actual flash content?
    Yep. For sites that'd support it.
    -m
    I'd like Hulu as well, but from what I am hearing, they are going to block it on mobile devices. But then that gives us more stuff to hack and crack!
    I likey take apart thingies....
    I just get the feeling that people forget that this is a small, mobile device. Content developed for a full-sized device is impractical and annoying to view on the Pre. I'd much rather prefer a special streaming application. Something that pulls in lots of popular sources, like Hulu, and parses it in a great way that enhances the experience.

I can't wait for the real facebook application--having to drag around and pinch-zoom gets old REAL fast.

I can see the merits for flash-based content, but it seems far less important on a mobile phone than other mediums.
    no 'Thanks'
    I am looking forward to all of the annoying flash-based ads on websites to start working..

I like to check the local news weather forecast against the generic ones, and view the animated radar, and a couple of them use flash for the maps. If those worked, that would be cool, but then so would the video ads on those same sites, which would be a negative.
    lets say you are a big, huge football fan and want to watch a game but you are out and can't get to a tv to watch your favorite team what do you do???. Well how about going to justin.tv to watch it. That and other sites is why I want full flash on my pre. Yes is a phone but I like having THE BEST phone with lots of features.

just my 2 cents
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Obiously there are downsides, Of course a dedicated app for all of these flash sites would be better and more efficient, and having flash working in browser will discourage app development.(think how many less people will want to download an imeem app for 1.99 when they can go listen on their website for free)

Of course an actual hulu app would be awesome, but as of right now, not even the iphone has it, with the biggest app store and development community out there, and as far as I know, hulu isn't available on any phone! I personally don't see the problem in zooming into a show to make it full screen, because after I make it perfect it'll be 30 minutes before I have to play around with the site again.

Not to mention that the App Catalog is moving fairly slowly right now and a lot of apps that we'd like to see might not happen for a while. You can make the case that Palm is trying to put more WebOs phones in the market, Which they believe will make developers want to develop more, however Android has been out for a while now and they have 3 or 4 phones out right now with 3 or 4 more coming soon, and their app store still pales in comparison to Apple's App store giant. Right now WebOs has only 1 phone out with one phone coming soon, little exposure compared to Android and the iphone, Is third place in app store development AND a crippled SDK.

The truth is, one of the things I DONT want palm to do is to make more handsets, the same way Android is right now. Sure it will give users more choice in terms of choosing a phone, But 1, it makes developers have to keep all devices in in mind when developing an app. (I know apps are scalable but more goes into making an good looking app than screen resolution. i.e. processing power, other specs) The Pixi already has slightly lower specs than the pre which developers have to keep in mind when developing for webos which worries me.

And 2, it dilutes the name of the product. Everyone's heard of the iphone, including those who don't care about it because it's only one phone. And even though there have been different iterations, for the most part, all iphones have stayed consistent (although even the 3gs has made it slightly more difficult for developers who want to take advantage of the 3gs' processor without leaving out past iphones). Most people have heard of the g1, but with all these other android devices crowding it, they're sort of diluting the g1's name. The G1 probably won't become a household name like the iphone, because it's android that's similar on all these devices, not the G1 name, and Android certainly won't become a household name like the iphone. (My friend has a mytouch and he didn't even know what android was when I asked him about it)

The truth is, with the way everything is structured, this is our best shot to have the functionality of lot of the popular apps and games on the iphone without having to wait on the developers to create them, not to mention all of it will be free!

So can we stop talking about how we'd rather have apps, because that's a given. I really just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on substitutions on apps used in the past, and websites that would be great on WebOs with flash.
    Last edited by tredftw; 10/19/2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    lets say you are a big, huge football fan and want to watch a game but you are out and can't get to a tv to watch your favorite team what do you do???. Well how about going to justin.tv to watch it. That and other sites is why I want full flash on my pre. Yes is a phone but I like having THE BEST phone with lots of features.

just my 2 cents
    Exactly, and it just hit me that Megavideo should work too, and every show I want to watch is ussually available on megavideo a few hours after it airs, which is a plus.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC 3200 (bad move) > Treo Pro (not as bad but still WinMo) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I know it's only mid-October but I haven't seen any updates on whether Adobe was going to get Flash out to my Pre this month as promised. And if they do, does that mean another OS update from Palm?
    google your title without the ? And you will find an answere in the news section with video.

in short a beta is due out within the year could be today could be 12/31
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    When I google that I get the same story over and over, that it is due out in October.
    Reads like you got your answer.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by theyams View Post
    When I google that I get the same story over and over, that it is due out in October.
    try searching news
    should be out by the time you are ready to update to a new device much like everything else with this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    should be out by the time you are ready to update to a new device much like everything else with this phone.
    "Everything" is a big word, comprising, well, everything. I think it's a little inappropriately used in that sentence. Perhaps you meant "a few things" instead.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by theyams View Post
    I think they probably said the beta would be in October, and they just had a big news conference and demo. The story and video can be seen here:

http://www.precentral.net/adobe-flas...-101-demod-pre

So you can see it, but you can't get it . Release is probably early next year. But the good news is that the Pre was the one they demoed, so we'll get it as soon a s anyone does.