Page 3 of 233 FirstFirst 12345678 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    I really wish we would see a deal made like Sprint offering Adobe millions of dollars to get flash on the phone for launch, and in exchange Palm will stay exclusive another year or two.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. That article was posted back in february. I don't expect to have flash support any time soon. it obviously isn't going to be at launch and seeing as the article said not til next year I would say it will be quite a few months.
    I know. I know.

There is a well known sprint employee on sprintusers.com that's been talking for a few days about his experience with the Pre.

He is saying he was able to go to myspace.com and watch all the flash banners and videos, which should be in flash.

He also says you can watch youtube videos on youtube.com, not just the app. Or could it be that flash at launch is the big secret weapon?

Either he's flat out lying, confused, or somehow myspace video and youtube don't actually use flash on the Pre.
    Last edited by Beanis; 05/31/2009 at 10:53 PM.
    I can watch youtube videos on youtube.com on my 755p--when I navigate there, I get the mobile interface, and when I select a video to watch, it streams in through Kinoma (the on board installed video player). I would bet that that's what he's seeing.

As far as the banners go, he's probably confused--I know some flash banner ads will provide an animated gif instead of flash for systems that do not run flash. You could probably check this by disabling the flash plugin in firefox.

If the Pre had flash, it would be very hard to hide at this point, I would think.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    He is lying.
    lol
    I'm sure we would have known about something this huge already. At least I hope so!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    ban
    They would have said something about it at D7...wouldn't keep it a secret less than week from launch
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    These stupid "it DOES have flash" threads are beyond the realm of annoying now.
    The only flash it has is on the camera
    It could easily just have a web browser build like Opera 9.5......9.5 has minimal flash ability.....where banners and gifs still flash. Not "True" flash but something along those lines.

Why say the guy is lying if no one else has seen it yet?
  13. faz
    not now but it'll have hoping EOTY

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    These stupid "it DOES have flash" threads are beyond the realm of annoying now.
    Calm down.

It's perfectly acceptable to acknowledge the Pre has no Flash support. But it would be nice to have some explanations for why Youtube is then playing inside the Pre's browser, along with myspace videos.

Others here are attempting such explanations instead of crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by titansluvpre View Post
    It could easily just have a web browser build like Opera 9.5......9.5 has minimal flash ability.....where banners and gifs still flash. Not "True" flash but something along those lines.

Why say the guy is lying if no one else has seen it yet?
    Finally someone with an open mind. If we, the USA, placed a ship on the moon, I doubt this technical problem of no flash or limited use of flash on a mobile phone, can't be handled. We can assume this: Where there is a need and $ can be made, someone somewhere will take steps to provide a service for that need!
    the leaked user manual specifically states on page 237 that the browser does not support embedded flash...

"The Web browser on your phone is capable of displaying most Web content. The browser
    features the latest Web standard technologies such as HTML 4.01, CSS 2.1, Ajax, and
    JavaScript. It does not support plug-ins such as Flash or Java applets."
    Ok so if flash is not supported at all, I think it would be nice to get to the bottom of exactly why myspace videos and youtube.com work - so we can address the many confused people out there, like this guy, that will interpret it as Flash being on the pre.
    But the Pre does have flash.

It's right next to the camera lens.
    IF Youtube videos are playing in the browser, I would imagine it's some sort of API tie in with the YouTube app. I still doubt that it works in the first place.
    Well we know flash will becoming at some point and time....and it is not that difficult to do if anyone uses Skyfire browser. I will settle with the PRE being able to use Skyfire itself....when I need to go to flash sites on my phone its what I use.