Page 27 of 233 FirstFirst ... 172223242526272829303132 37 77 127 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 4649
  1. DrewPre's Avatar
    Posts
    818 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #521  
    I suspect that things get done in this world because of people who ask questions like, why can't we do this?, rather than.... We can't do this because....I mean look at the PreCentral Article where the guy took a DVD lens from an old DVD player and made a macro lens for the Pre's camera!!?! I suppose he wasn't so concerned with what couldn't be done.


    It's a shame I hardly new linux before the Pre. I mean I still don't completely know how to use VI for crying out loud. But I give credit to the pre for my motivation. I have learned more about linux in the last 30 days..... Wow
  2. #522  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    I suspect that things get done in this world because of people who ask questions like, why can't we do this?, rather than.... We can't do this because....
    You make a fair point, so let me answer his question more directly.

    The way you install Flashplayer on the Pre, is to either reverse engineer Adobe Flashplayer AND WebOS, or start with an open source flashplayer that will never support 100% of sites and reverse engineer WebOS.

    Then, you would have to completely re-write the browser in WebOS so that you could tie your chosen flashplayer into it.

    This is NOT impossible.

    What it is:

    Completely beyond the resources of most anybody around.

    Completely beyond the skill level of 99% of the people who own a Pre.

    An exercise in futility, when Palm will be getting a full dev kit for flashplayer very soon, and won't have to reverse engineer anything.

    Virtually guaranteed to cause MAJOR problems every time Palm releases an update.
  3. DrewPre's Avatar
    Posts
    818 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #523  
    If you say it's like p1ssing in the wind, trying not to get wet.... I'll believe ya! I am not in a position to debate. If I did try to debate it'd be a slaughter I am sure.

    In the end, Palm [and Adobe] coming out with Flash support in the next couple of months makes this pretty much a moot discussion albeit an interesting one.

    But were that not happening I wouldn't be surprised by the ingenuity and creativity that is born in the face of sufficient necessity.
  4. #524  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    But were that not happening I wouldn't be surprised by the ingenuity and creativity that is born in the face of sufficient necessity.
    Now that, I can agree with completely. The dev community is what has made the difference between the Pre being a so-so smart phone with a few clever features, and being the customizable monster phone that it has become for many of us.

    Already developers have added support to the built in app for MSN, yahoo and ICQ, message forwarding, customizable notifications, and I've heard there are developers working hard on a video recording GUI.

    These are all tasks that are beyond most of us, but a tiny minority of highly skilled people have made them possible. If it wasn't for the impending release of a real dev kit to allow Palm to put the real flashplayer on the Pre, it wouldn't be that long before that 1% started trying to get swfcodec integrated.
  5. #525  
    You will need a flux capacitor and some plutonium.


    Oh Yeah....and a Delorean.
    I likey take apart thingies....
  6. DrewPre's Avatar
    Posts
    818 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #526  
    I like your Avatar... I am stealing it without your permission!!
  7. #527  
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    flash should be available this month maybe next week =] thats when the flash thing happens October 4-7
    I understand that Flash would be made available to the developers for development into their mobile OSes.

    In other words, Palm still has work to do to get it working with webOS, just as does Android....at least that's how I understood it...
  8. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #528  
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    You know groovdafied, I do think I read something about that as well!

    I think I remember, because if iPhone users had Flash support, then they would really tax ATT's Network which users are already complaining about.

    Yeah, that was the reason they wouldn't be so happy about it!

    Rob


    Flash doesn't really tax the network -- what it does is hammer the CPU because it has a very inefficient rendering engine (which is normally not even taking advantage of hardware graphics acceleration). When I use Flash content on most laptops, I can hear the fan crank up and pretty soon it starts cranking out heat, both symptoms of hammering the CPU (normally for crap that is not even worth it).

    That's why Apple doesn't want Flash on the iPhone. I doubt we'll ever see it there. HTML 5 will supersede Flash shortly anyhow. I for one won't miss it.

    Don't quote me on this, but unless Palm can incorporate GPU acceleration into the OS soon, and make sure Flash uses it, I think Flash will be a total pig on the Pre much like it's been a total pig on other mobile platforms. Just my humble opinion.
  9. #529  
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Flash doesn't really tax the network -- what it does is hammer the CPU because it has a very inefficient rendering engine (which is normally not even taking advantage of hardware graphics acceleration). When I use Flash content on most laptops, I can hear the fan crank up and pretty soon it starts cranking out heat, both symptoms of hammering the CPU (normally for crap that is not even worth it).

    That's why Apple doesn't want Flash on the iPhone. I doubt we'll ever see it there. HTML 5 will supersede Flash shortly anyhow. I for one won't miss it.

    Don't quote me on this, but unless Palm can incorporate GPU acceleration into the OS soon, and make sure Flash uses it, I think Flash will be a total pig on the Pre much like it's been a total pig on other mobile platforms. Just my humble opinion.
    Ya, I see what you're saying here. Hopefully with all this effort and hype going into the newest version of Flash for mobile devices, will deliver. I'm curious though, are there any videos of HTML 5 demonstration.
  10. #530  
    hmmm... Are they being to closed with the iphone OS..?

    http://moconews.net/article/419-adobe-extends-full-flash-to-just-about-every-phone-but-the-iphone/
  11. #531  
    the one thing that is totally needed in whatever implementation, is the ability to turn it off. Flash is a blessing sometimes, and a curse all the others.

    hopefully an elegant solution will exist so that I can just play the specific hulu vid, not wade through adds as I read some news site.
  12. #532  
    Gizmodo Frontpage (new to forums, cant post actual link)

    Its official, flash is coming to webOS, basically all but the iphone.
    According to this, beta version early this year for webOS.

    Just wondering about all the possibilities this opens up for the pre.

    Share your thoughts people.
  13. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #533  
    Flash 10.1: Full Flash for Everyone But iPhone, Actually Playable HD Vids - Adobe flash 10.1 - Gizmodo

    Not to mention GPU acceleration on computers too, which means MUCH better performance. This can't arrive fast enough.
  14. #534  
    YouTube HD on ure pre, cool.
  15. #535  
    Sounds promising.
  16. #536  
    Interesting note that the article points out is cross-platform apps. Less device specific and more browser oriented.
  17. #537  
    "Palm will likely be the first to update, with other platforms coming later"

    That sounds good....
  18. jcbone's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #538  
    cant wait!
  19. #539  
    Flash Player 10.1 software will be released by the end of the year for Palm WebOS
    While the Windows Mobile and Palm webOS betas will be out soon


    At its Adobe Max conference in Los Angeles on Monday, Adobe announced that a beta of its new Flash Player 10.1 software will be released by the end of the year for Windows Mobile and the Palm webOS


    Flash Player Inches Closer to Smartphones



    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...artphones.html
  20. #540  
    @akitayo 404 on that link.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions