Page 232 of 233 FirstFirst ... 132182222227228229230231232233 LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,640 of 4649
    I formally make the motion to ask that the OP to change the title of this thread to:

"Flash...LOL"

Do I have a second?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post
    I formally make the motion to ask that the OP to change the title of this thread to:

"Flash...LOL"

Do I have a second?

*raises hand*
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevillain View Post
    I've installed 2.0.1 on my sprint pre, and I can tell you that flash works, but barely. Its so slow and annoying that you just give up and say forget it. Definitely not up to par with android 2.2
    i have that doctor -- have not installed it yet -- what do you think about the other features is it worth installing?

plus i guess this is 1 reason why HP has failed to adapt 2.0 for legacy devices
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i have that doctor -- have not installed it yet -- what do you think about the other features is it worth installing?

plus i guess this is 1 reason why HP has failed to adapt 2.0 for legacy devices
    So HP is never going to allow for those of us with Sprint Pre's & Pixi's to use WebOS 2.0? So I guess we will never be able to use the new apps in the app store that need 2.0... I knew HP would do something stupid like this.

I would still really like to use WebOS 2.0. Would using the Verizon 2.0 Doctoring software work on a Sprint Palm Pre? Because I can always get a Verizon Palm Pre Plus serial off of Ebay and then download the Doctoring software from Palm's web site. It's just not fair that Sprint users can't use 2.0 yet; if at all. Why should we suffer just because we choose Sprint?
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 02/18/2011 at 11:31 PM.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    So HP is never going to allow for those of us with Sprint Pre's & Pixi's to use WebOS 2.0? So I guess we will never be able to use the new apps in the app store that need 2.0... I knew HP would do something stupid like this.

I would still really like to use WebOS 2.0. Would using the Verizon 2.0 Doctoring software work on a Sprint Palm Pre? Because I can always get a Verizon Palm Pre Plus serial off of Ebay and then download the Doctoring software from Palm's web site. It's just not fair that Sprint users can't use 2.0 yet; if at all. Why should we suffer just because we choose Sprint?
    The version floating around is slow, bloated and buggy, not really suitable for everyday use, and even less on a Pre Minus. Yes, you may manage to play with the Doctors and repackage the thing to install it on a Sprint Pre, but in the end, the Pre is really not that capable of running Flash at a decent speed (perhaps that's what the Palm people wanted to say but instead said that they weren't capable of running 2.0).
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    The version floating around is slow, bloated and buggy, not really suitable for everyday use, and even less on a Pre Minus. Yes, you may manage to play with the Doctors and repackage the thing to install it on a Sprint Pre, but in the end, the Pre is really not that capable of running Flash at a decent speed (perhaps that's what the Palm people wanted to say but instead said that they weren't capable of running 2.0).
    I would still like to use it, if I could find it. I know Flash won't be the best on our devices, but at least having it would be nice. I get sick of trying to access sites and videos in Flash. So it would just be nice to have the ability to play Flash.

And in what way is the WebOS 2.0 Doctoring software buggy? Is the whole OS buggy and slow, or just some features within it?

I would still like to use it, if I could find it. And I know Flash won't be the best on our devices, but at least having it would be nice. I get sick of trying to access sites and videos in Flash. So it would just be nice to have the ability to play Flash.

And in what way is the WebOS 2.0 Doctoring software buggy? Is the whole OS buggy and slow, or just some features within it?
    The Doctor is fine (altough it wipes your usb partition on the upgrade), it's the OS, it has several bugs, including one that can potentialy wipe your info on it, problems with phone numbers matching, calendar, bookmarks, etc, as I said many times, it was intended for application testing, not for everyday use

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    The Doctor is fine (altough it wipes your usb partition on the upgrade), it's the OS, it has several bugs, including one that can potentialy wipe your info on it, problems with phone numbers matching, calendar, bookmarks, etc, as I said many times, it was intended for application testing, not for everyday use

So 2.0 was never intended to be a daily-used mobile OS? Then why even release it? Are the users with Pre & Pixi Plus's complaining about these bugs? I still want to try it. Just getting Flash would be worth dealing with (Some) bugs. So I take it that your not recommending using the WebOS 2.0 version that does work on the Sprint Pre? What version is that anyway? A purly testing version?

...edit...
    I love my Palm Pre, I don't want to get rid of it. I had used the Samsung Transform, along side my Pre and I hated the Transform. AndroidOS is garbage when compared to the WebOS. Plus what else would I move on to? Sprint only has the Pre and Pixi, so we can't get the better Plus versions. And I'm not going to leave Sprint because the plan I have is $59.99 per-month, but would be $150+ with Verizon or AT&T. So upgrading right now isn't really an option for Sprint customers happy with their versions of the Pre/Pixi and service.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/05/2011 at 11:16 AM.

So 2.0 was never intended to be a daily-used mobile OS? Then why even release it? Are the users with Pre & Pixi Plus's complaining about these bugs? I still want to try it. Just getting Flash would be worth dealing with (Some) bugs. So I take it that your not recommending using the WebOS 2.0 version that does work on the Sprint Pre? What version is that anyway? A purly testing version?
    I think the problem was that (as we all know), Palm ended without money and put themselves for sale, in this situation they still tried to get something out and the Pre 2 (with slightly better hardware) came out and they decided Flash could run on it "fine". They tried to optimize the thing for out dated devices but in the end HP decided to stop putting money on that and instead decided to go on and invest their money on the newer devices (Pre 2, Pre 3, Veer and TouchPad).

It's a good thing for them because they can spend resources in new things, but it sucks for the users, and it's even worse for us developers as we have to program for 1.4.x/2.x on Mojo, and for 3.x on Enyo... and the worse part is that we can't fully support the feature set that came with 2.x since there are so few devices out there that will make use of these features...

Basically webOS development is at halt now until the new devices come in, and just because the developers don't want to invest time programming for 2.x, it's just sad

I think the problem was that (as we all know), Palm ended without money and put themselves for sale, in this situation they still tried to get something out and the Pre 2 (with slightly better hardware) came out and they decided Flash could run on it "fine". They tried to optimize the thing for out dated devices but in the end HP decided to stop putting money on that and instead decided to go on and invest their money on the newer devices (Pre 2, Pre 3, Veer and TouchPad).

It's a good thing for them because they can spend resources in new things, but it sucks for the users, and it's even worse for us developers as we have to program for 1.4.x/2.x on Mojo, and for 3.x on Enyo... and the worse part is that we can't fully support the feature set that came with 2.x since there are so few devices out there that will make use of these features...

Basically webOS development is at halt now until the new devices come in, and just because the developers don't want to invest time programming for 2.x, it's just sad
    You have a lot of good points. It's just those new WebOS devices won't be out for a while, so what are we suppose to do in the meantime? And I have seen new software in the App Store that was designed for WebOS 2.0 only. If HP doesn't give us older customers access to 2.0, then we won't be able to use the software at all. So developers are going to loss money. I just wish Palm held on and didn't sell the company to HP. I never liked HP and don't trust them with the WebOS. I guess those of us with older WebOS devices, should get used to not being included in any major WebOS updates?

Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I really don't understand how ayone can continue saying that nonsense after all this time. Webos has been around for nearly 2 years and it still can't get off the ground. The app catalog is a joke and the os continues to lack many features. The last update added video recording and that was over a year ago and now a year later you guys are still complaining about the same thing. Since switching to an android device recently I now know how lacking webos continues to be. The OS is surely great.

I love the Pre and the WebOS. I have tried so many other devices over the years and still think the WebOS is better. To each their own I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I really don't understand how ayone can continue saying that nonsense after all this time. Webos has been around for nearly 2 years and it still can't get off the ground. The app catalog is a joke and the os continues to lack many features. The last update added video recording and that was over a year ago and now a year later you guys are still complaining about the same thing. Since switching to an android device recently I now know how lacking webos continues to be.
    If you don't like it....

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I would still like to use it, if I could find it. I know Flash won't be the best on our devices, but at least having it would be nice. I get sick of trying to access sites and videos in Flash. So it would just be nice to have the ability to play Flash.

Just out of curiosity, which sites do you regularly visit that are inaccessible due to Flash? I browse (a lot) on my mobile device(s) and never encounter an issue with a site being rendered useless due to Flash.

I'm not saying that it's not a problem, just curious because we probably have different browsing habits. I'd also like to test the sites on my devices to see if they're doing some sort of content adaptation for devices other than webOS.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Just out of curiosity, which sites do you regularly visit that are inaccessible due to Flash? I browse (a lot) on my mobile device(s) and never encounter an issue with a site being rendered useless due to Flash.

I'm not saying that it's not a problem, just curious because we probably have different browsing habits. I'd also like to test the sites on my devices to see if they're doing some sort of content adaptation for devices other than webOS.
    Try focusrally.com and see if you can participate without flash.

Here's the thing, Flash has been demonstrated on a Palm Pre for well before WebOS 2 came out, so they have had SOME version of Flash working, even if it has problems. I'll take a buggy version of Flash for my phone right now rather than it not being available at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post

Here's the thing, Flash has been demonstrated on a Palm Pre for well before WebOS 2 came out, so they have had SOME version of Flash working, even if it has problems. I'll take a buggy version of Flash for my phone right now rather than it not being available at all.
    you know the version was demonstrated on a striped and overclocked phone that was put together to show running flash and nothing else -- sure you say you would take a buggy version but how many battery pulls before you would switch back?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post

This is a snapshot of Focusrally.com on the iPad (which has no Flash):

Not sure what I should try from there?
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    you know the version was demonstrated on a striped and overclocked phone that was put together to show running flash and nothing else -- sure you say you would take a buggy version but how many battery pulls before you would switch back?

For me, I wouldn't be using Flash non-stop, so dealing with the occasional bug from using the occasional Flash player is something I could deal with. Flash is like any other feature, let us choose whether we want to use it or not. If it doesn't work well, some users will turn off the feature. But I remember when I had Flash on my LG EnV Touch. It wasn't the best player but I could at least surf Flash web sites. And the EnV Touch is no where near the level of a Pre or Pixi. So if the EnV Touch could run Flash, our WebOS devices could as well. Just give us the chance to choose whether we want to use Flash or not.

For me, I wouldn't be using Flash non-stop, so dealing with the occasional bug from using the occasional Flash player is something I could deal with. Flash is like any other feature, let us choose whether we want to use it or not. If it doesn't work well, some users will turn off the feature. But I remember when I had Flash on my LG EnV Touch. It wasn't the best player but I could at least surf Flash web sites. And the EnV Touch is no where near the level of a Pre or Pixi. So if the EnV Touch could run Flash, our WebOS devices could as well. Just give us the chance to choose whether we want to use Flash or not.
    It wasn't Flash, it was Flash Lite.

But I agree and I expect they'll have a version of Flash Player in the App Catalog.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    It wasn't Flash, it was Flash Lite.

But I agree and I expect they'll have a version of Flash Player in the App Catalog.

A Flash app would make more since then upgrading the WebOS. It would be just like how videos play now. You press the icon in the web browser and the video is opened in the default video player. So we would goto a Flash-based site, banner, video, ect and press on the Flash icon and the page would open from within the Flash app. I never really thought about Flash coming in the form of an app, but that does make a lot more sense. lets hope HP does release it.