Page 217 of 233 FirstFirst ... 117167207212213214215216217218219220221222227 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,340 of 4649
    People still care about Flash LOLOLOLOL I want my 1.4.5 update from Verizon or 1.5 if they are skipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    People still care about Flash
    It is not that people may care about flash it is about being able to access website that use it heavily, you know the really badly designed and out-of-date ones.
    Gavin Coles

Pre - O2 - UK
    I want to have flash to stream all my files from my whs to the pre using orb.com (flash-player and encoder)
    or does someone has a better idea :-)
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    WHEN....What could possibly be taking so long!!!
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Coles View Post
    It is not that people may care about flash it is about being able to access website that use it heavily, you know the really badly designed and out-of-date ones.
    You mean sites like speedtest.net? HTML 5 may do the job of streaming banner advertisements, but HTML 5 is NOT a full programming language for applications. People used to say the same things about Java back when it was new, that it was slow, bloated, and such. If all you want to do are simple things, then you only need a simple application/API/language. If what you want to do is a bit more complicated, you need something that is more robust.

I am not saying that Adobe is right or a great company, and I am not saying that Flash is a wonderful wonderful language/API. I AM saying that many people who bash Flash read too much and have too little experience in the industry. Things like banner advertisements are better suited to HTML 5, but those free games and more complex applications just COULD NOT be written in HTML 5, because the functionality just isn't there.
    holy crap.

218 pages. 217 pages I'm not going to read.

My question is why in the world hasn't anyone tried porting over the Android version of Flash to webOS? If some random dude can port it for the imaxipad, then surely it can be done for the Pre. Grab the linux version and start the process...
    Quote Originally Posted by modelck View Post
    ...My question is why in the world hasn't anyone tried porting over the Android version of Flash to webOS?...
    Does software copyright law mean anything to you?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Does software copyright law mean anything to you?
    well considering there is a vibrant and dedicated Open Source community centered around Flash, I don't think copyright law is an issue. Other wise, the osflash.org site would be shut down along with the other close competitors of Flash. No one is gaining financially from an open source implementation of flash. Did the gentlemen with his "frash.deb" installer for the iPad get knocked on his Equus africanus asinus by Adobe?

Compiling from the source, which is what you have to do in Linux is always an option. I'm really surprised that the WebOS Internals crew hasn't tried (that we know of) to compile a package with an open source version of it.

Here's a portion of the Wiki page concerning Open Standards:

Open standard alternatives

"The W3C's SVG and SMIL standards are seen as the closest competitors of Flash.[40][41] Adobe formerly developed and distributed the 'Adobe SVG Viewer' client plug-in for MS Internet Explorer, but discontinued support and distribution on January 1, 2009.[42] It has been noted by industry commentators that this was probably no coincidence at a time when Adobe moved from competing with Macromedia's Flash to owning the technology itself.[43] Meanwhile, Opera has supported SVG since version 8 and Safari has since version 3,[44] and Mozilla Firefox's built-in support for SVG continues to grow.[45][46]

UIRA was a free software project that intended to become a complete replacement for Adobe Flash. The project collapsed in mid 2007, though people are now discussing reviving or continuing it,[47] and a few other projects like Ajax Animator still exist.
    "

If copyright WAS an issue which it clearly is not, then open source software could not exist. If financial gain was an ulterior motive then, yes, copyright law means something to me.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/08/2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Post edited for language - keep it PG-13 please
    Android's implantation of Flash is/was developed by Adobe. Flash source code is copyrighted by Adobe Inc.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Flash source code is copyrighted by Adobe Inc.
    Correct. Open Source implementations are generally considered not to infringe upon intellectual property; it is a grey area. Essentially what I'm asking is why can't an Open source version be ported to webOS? My first post was from my Pre and I was getting annoyed with my keyboard. Your response to it required a larger device in which I could reply properly. Thus, my sadly truncated and unintelligent comment regarding porting from Android. Now that I'm awake and caffeinated, I'm able to think.

Something interesting to read:
    Search for VP6 and VP8 on wikipedia. <<URLs added>>

The laptop I'm using to post, is running an Open Source implementation of Flash. Granted, it's not called "Flash" because even the name would bring infringement claims. However, I am in no danger of being thrown into jail for using it because it fails under a GNU/Linux Public License.

If the same could be used for a laptop running a linux based kernel and our own phones running a linux based kernel, why would an open source alternative be out of the question?
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/08/2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added URLs
    True Open Source is one thing but your origonal post suggested "porting over the Android version of Flash to webOS." I would suspect reverse engineering someones or some companies intellectual property would be a tricky situation for multiple reasons.

As for trying to get open source flash type action running on the Pre....I'd say the development work would be for not as Adobe Flash will come eventually and inevitably run much better.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Also noted is that Flash is a platform. The codecs it is capable of playing are generally found in all kinds of free/open source players, just like VLC. I'm posing the question, not arguing the legality of it. There's no need to argue the copyright law. I'm simply asking why it hasn't been attempted yet. If there is a homebrew community then there's got to be someone out there that understands programming and I know there are Linux users on this forum. So the question remains, why not?
    True Open Source is one thing but your origonal post suggested "porting over the Android version of Flash to webOS." I would suspect reverse engineering someones or some companies intellectual property would be a tricky situation for multiple reasons.

As for trying to get open source flash type action running on the Pre....I'd say the development work would be for not as Adobe Flash will come eventually and inevitably run much better.
    Yes and I realize my original post did not contain that information. Just woke up, checked the forums, and decided to post: all without Coffee. I'm brain dead without that glorious nectar. As I stated, it was an unintelligible question and one that was asked previously many times. ...(After searching I found the question asked)...

I find no fault with the logic stating Adobe's implementation would run better. After all, Palm & Adobe must work together to get it done. Whatever the case may be, if the Homebrew/Open Source community can get it done and satisfactorily, might I add, then it could be the bonfire under their proverbial Equus africanus asinus to get Adobe's version out to Pre customers before the end of the world.

Something would be better than nothing at this point. I could care less but there are other users that hinge their commitment to the webOS experience upon the lack of "flash".

Last edited by modelck; 09/08/2010 at 11:04 AM.
    Is flash ever going to make it to the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon no h View Post
    lol i was just wondering the same thing..

they are hoping with all the news about webos 2.0 we will forget about flash
    Count me as one of the very disappointed Pre users (launch day) who was told we would soon have flash and doc editing before I made my purchase...now all we here about is 2.0 but still no news about new devices and who'll be carrying them. Sprint better get some love soon!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon no h View Post
    No. Vapourware of the year.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Count me as one of the very disappointed Pre users (launch day) who was told we would soon have flash and doc editing before I made my purchase...now all we here about is 2.0 but still no news about new devices and who'll be carrying them. Sprint better get some love soon!
    you and me both.
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post

I'm not with Sprint, but it's the same for me, Palm had to launch something new, WEBos and a new device to compete with Apple, if they are waiting too long to do this, Palm will not ever regain the market they had!!!

Alain
    ----------------------------------
    Alain (abellemare44)
    HP Pre3 2.2.4 (ATT 4G 16 Gigs) with BELL in Canada

HP TouchPad 16 Gigs Wifi
    With UberKernel 3.0.4 1,8 Ghz
    Cyanogenmod 7 Alpha 3,5 Android 2.3.7

PS: sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language
    i think flash will be avaiable with webos2.0.. and comes free to pres and pixis