Page 208 of 233 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198203204205206207208209210211212213 218 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,160 of 4649
    I think that palm is dragging its heels. I have heard rumors that they are waiting untill November, and will release it just in time for "black friday". I don't think the origional Palm pre and Pixi will get the update 1.4.5 or the flash player. Palm and sprint want you to buy buy buy.........and not hold on to your phones for very long.......after all......they couldn't make much money if we all kept our crappy phones for more than a few months at a time .....I can't wait till my upgrade........I am going to get a droid I think.
    By NO means do i have the skills or talent to make something like this work......but could it be rewritten to work on our palm devices?
    Flash ported to iPhone 4, available for download (video) -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by dentack27 View Post
    I think that palm is dragging its heels. I have heard rumors that they are waiting untill November, and will release it just in time for "black friday". I don't think the origional Palm pre and Pixi will get the update 1.4.5 or the flash player. Palm and sprint want you to buy buy buy.........and not hold on to your phones for very long.......after all......they couldn't make much money if we all kept our crappy phones for more than a few months at a time .....I can't wait till my upgrade........I am going to get a droid I think.

The only problem with Droid phones, is that they can't run apps from a memory card. So if the Droid phone comes with 500MB's, then that is all the memory you have to store apps. At least this is what I have read. Hopefully someone or some company will make this work. I just really hope Palm doesn't forget about us early adopters. We tend to be the most loyal, because we have been using the Pre/Pixi for a long time. Who really knows what Palm is thinking though. Plus we tend to buy a lot of apps. I lost track of how many apps I have purchased since getting me Pre last year, but I know I have spent a lot trying to support Palm and their developers.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Droid's have been updated to Froyo and Apps CAN be moved to the SD card now.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    Droid's have been updated to Froyo and Apps CAN be moved to the SD card now.
    If that is true, then that is great news. I still don't want to get a Droid right now, because I love my Pre too much. But I would like to keep the possibility of getting an Android phone open. I was thinking that I would get the EVO as well, but I don't want to spend an extra $10 per-month, seeing as my bill is already $75.00. Hopefully Sprint stops charging extra for 4G, so more of us will want to upgrade our phones.

I can't even consider going to any Android phone, so I am waiting for the C40. I too think Flash should be ported, no one ever said PC should endorse the port, but it should be somewhere.
    Last edited by Meltedwire; 08/08/2010 at 05:48 PM.
    - Jeff
    Oh and hey Newman, didn't Adobe already say it would be on webOS and has been delivered to Palm. Doesn't that make it at least sort of legal?
    - Jeff
    Yeah, but it didn't stop someone from porting it to the iPhone! So how 'bout it fellas? Somebody will to do it for webOS?

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Well, how about the law? Flash isn't open-source - it's owned by Adobe and I'm sure they would respond pretty quickly to something like that. When people talk about 'porting' an app over to webOS, they mean by the Developer... not some random guy who has no claim to that company's intellectual property. Only the dev can port over their product.
    The only flash I am excited for anymore will occur hopefully next weekend where I'm going lol.......... This has become way too prolonged........
    not by adobe themselves but someone else ported it for jailbroken iphones, why doesn't someone do this for webos?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/08/flash-ported-to-iphone-4-available-for-download-video/
    <<threads merged>>

juavez707... this link has been posted already... the discussion is in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    not by adobe themselves but someone else ported it for jailbroken iphones, why doesn't someone do this for webos?

The development of apps is difficult, and there isn't has many users using the WebOS when compared to the iPhone. So that might be one reason why it hasn't been ported. Or maybe they tried, but there were too many bugs. Or maybe the developers are worried about he copyright laws.

I do wish someone would port the Flash-Player to the WebOS. I'm just not sure if anyone will.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/10/2010 at 09:36 AM.

As far as porting goes, it's VERY difficult to port a closed source application.

In fact, it's more or less impossible.

Whenever anybody ports a closed source app, what they're really doing is either wrapping it in some sort of compatibility layer, or reverse engineering and re-writing it.

We can pretty well eliminate the possibility of reverse engineering. The results are always iffy at best, and there are already open-source implementations of flash that work as well as an RE would.

As far as wrapping it up in a compatibility layer, that is completely different for every combination of application and system. Basically, you're talking about wrapping flashplayer inside of another app or library so that the flashplayer thinks it's running on a supported system. Then you have to make the browser think it supports your special flashplayer, and make sure the browser knows what to do with flash content.

As you can imagine, that's a huge undertaking. You need skilled and clever programmers, a large enough user-base that people will care, and you need reasonable assurance that your effort won't be wasted. WebOS has a comparatively small user base, and Adobe has promissed flash for WebOS. iOS on the other hand, has a very large user base, and no chance of flashplayer without this kind of project.

In short, there are few enough people who care, enough difficulty, and enough risk of a 'real' flash plug-in making your work wasted; that there is pretty much no chance of this happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    anyone know when it is due out. cause everything im reading know one knows and it almost looks like it is going to be a dead issue
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I don't necessarily care anymore when we get flash...

But come on, iPhone before us?

That SUCKS!!!

Flash 10.1 ported to iPad, burninates the countryside (video) -- Engadget
    :yawn: You didn't see this coming... ?
    This is no big deal, Windows Mobile has had flash for years. Adobe - Mobile and Devices Developer Center

I am actually suprized this is not built in.
    Loving my Pixi. Yes I am a guy and own a Pixi, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by davecttt View Post
    This is no big deal, Windows Mobile has had flash for years. Adobe - Mobile and Devices Developer Center

I am actually suprized this is not built in.
    Flash 10.1 is hardware-accelerated, supports h.264 video, multitouch, accelerometers and other things I've forgotten since last year when they were previewing it on WebOS...
    <<Threads Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic