Page 18 of 233 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868118 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    That is actually the very crappy Flash Lite that is about useless. It doesn't play regular Flash files and you have to code specifically for it, which no one does. You can actually do more with just javascript and CSS as available in WebOS.

Adobe will be releasing a full version of Flash for WebOS and Android by the end of the year. It won't be available for the iPhone because snApple has their heads up their butts.
    actually it plays flash 8 and down as2 but not as3
    Flash on Palm Pre

This will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor View Post
    Lack of Flash is really pissing me off. Biggest negative in my book.
    So that'd be the biggest negative about all mobile products, right?

As far as I can tell, Nokia's implementation seems spotty and is only available unsubsidized; and the Hero, as of now, is only available in the UK.

I'm confused as to what your issue is, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by teej51685 View Post
    Flash on Palm Pre

This will help.
    haha. that was awesome, and what a lot of people should do for most of your questions.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teej51685 View Post
    Flash on Palm Pre

This will help.
    Haha that's an awesome link.
    Does this omission drive anyone else as nuts as it does me? I LOOOOVE my Pre (just started homebrewing yesterday!), but can't figure out how we're this far in without something as basic as flash support. I want seamless video in my browser experience. Anyone else as frustrated? Anyone know something I don't? Please, give me some good news!
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I've read some people guessa round Oct/Nov. Besides that i have no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreep View Post
    Does this omission drive anyone else as nuts as it does me? I LOOOOVE my Pre (just started homebrewing yesterday!), but can't figure out how we're this far in without something as basic as flash support. I want seamless video in my browser experience. Anyone else as frustrated? Anyone know something I don't? Please, give me some good news!
    when hell freezes over.
    I was just wondering the same thing. Soon, I hope!
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Palm said in the past that it was before this year was over.... but no official date has ever been given. I imagine it relies quite a bit on adobe because from the reports of other devices that have it the implementation isnt very good yet.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    The way I understand it, Adobe is actually working on a version of Flash specificly for mobile phones. It will launch on all the major platforms(except I haven't seen anything about blackberry getting it)this fall. No hard release date, but expected at the beggining of the 4th quarter.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts

You'd change your mind if you used a current mobile implementation of Flash, because it sucks. What you are associating with Flash performance on your desktop computer is a whole different ball game on a mobile device. So no, it's not nuts -- it's a smart decision by Palm to not have Flash at this point (same decision Apple made and continues to stand by). They need to make major advances in mobile Flash before it's practical.
    Hang on... I'm referring to my "Magic 8 Ball" app for the answer. The 8 Ball has spoken (or triangled, anyway) and it says: "Most Likely." Hmmm. Crazy that we can't get a firmer answer than that. I just asked the 8 Ball if it could clarify what it meant by answer #1 and it said: "Very Doubtful."

So, there ya have it
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    You'd change your mind if you used a current mobile implementation of Flash, because it sucks. What you are associating with Flash performance on your desktop computer is a whole different ball game on a mobile device. So no, it's not nuts -- it's a smart decision by Palm to not have Flash at this point (same decision Apple made and continues to stand by). They need to make major advances in mobile Flash before it's practical.
    Exacto! Good post.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Exactly.

And from Engadget's review

"So Flash is kind of a big deal on new smartphones. The iPhone doesn't have it, the Pre doesn't have it, BlackBerry devices don't have it... but the Hero does. Unfortunately, in our testing, we found the inclusion actually hurts operation of the phone more than it helps. When browsing to a site heavy on Flash (there are many), the browser loading times were abysmal. Furthermore, trying to view videos in-window produced choppy, nearly unwatchable results. You may have a better experience with lighter kinds of content, but in our opinion the main reason to introduce Flash into a mobile environment is to allow for broader media viewing options, and in the current state of this Flash player, you're not really going to get much mileage out of it."

HTC Hero review
    I don't disagree that it would be nice to have, but to call it basic is simply wrong. It is not basic or common for smartphones/mobile phones to have flash implemented yet. How many mobile platforms have flash? Android and Winmo (kind of...)? And even then, as mentioned above, it hasn't yet been done close to right.
    On WinMo, the only browser that produced useable flash was Skyfire, and that thing is a server based browser, where a server does all the website rendering and then sends it to your phone...not the most secure thing in the world. On top of that, heavy usage by many users will slow things down a good bit. I much rather have my Pre with the current browser without flash than my old setup consisting of my Sprint Touch with Skyfire.

As far as video on websites goes....if you ask me, clicking on a video in a website should yield a YouTube like experience, in other words, you click on a video, and a player opens and shows it, like what the YouTube app does right now. The only other thing that flash is good for are flash games...and...well...all that animated advertising whizzing around which is no doubt nothing but a bandwidth and speed killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    On WinMo, the only browser that produced useable flash was Skyfire, and that thing is a server based browser, where a server does all the website rendering and then sends it to your phone...not the most secure thing in the world. On top of that, heavy usage by many users will slow things down a good bit. I much rather have my Pre with the current browser without flash than my old setup consisting of my Sprint Touch with Skyfire.

As far as video on websites goes....if you ask me, clicking on a video in a website should yield a YouTube like experience, in other words, you click on a video, and a player opens and shows it, like what the YouTube app does right now. The only other thing that flash is good for are flash games...and...well...all that animated advertising whizzing around which is no doubt nothing but a bandwidth and speed killer.
    I had a decent mobile flash experience on Opera mobile for some sites, other sites it was horrendous.
    S219, donatom3, oddlou:

Thx guys, I appreciate the information! It's good to know that the main reason we don't have, stated more correctly, a "seamless video web experience" on the Pre is that no adequate application provides this for mobile right now, and also that my assumption that 'all we need is flash' was incorrect due to #1.

I'm coming off of a few years faithfully using a Treo 700p, so I thought by the time we get something visionary like WebOS, this functionality would be resolved. I'd heard some of the Android phones have it, but didn't know it's not very good. So there you go...

Now at least I can feel better knowing it's not due to shortcomings on the part of Palm... Doesn't mean I can't still wish for a "seamless video web experience", though.. *sigh*
    Last edited by Saltcreep; 08/06/2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added *sigh*
    S219, donatom3, oddlou:

Thx guys, I appreciate the information! It's good to know that the main reason we don't have, stated more correctly, a "seamless video web experience" on the Pre is that no adequate application provides this for mobile right now, and also that my assumption that 'all we need is flash' was incorrect due to #1.

I'm coming off of a few years faithfully using a Treo 700p, so I thought by the time we get something visionary like WebOS, this functionality would be resolved. I'd heard some of the Android phones have it, but didn't know it's not very good. So there you go...

Now I can feel better knowing it's not due to shortcomings on the part of Palm... Doesn't mean I can't still wish for a "seamless video web experience, though.. *sigh*
    Palm, along with Google, and RIM are very much working with Adobe to make a use able flash come to their mobile platforms. So it's in the works, but it's taking time.