Page 176 of 233 FirstFirst ... 76126166171172173174175176177178179180181186226 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 4649
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Probably a crazy idea, but Barry swapping the GSM boards gave me the idea. What about getting a Sprint Pre with a busted screen or something, then swap the modem boards after activating?
    Good memory Toni. Take the comm board out of a busted Sprint Pre, and put it into a working Verizon Pre Plus. First, make sure the Sprint Pre's ESN isn't bad. Call Sprint to verify it if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Archite View Post
    It was pretty simple. I had a Palm Pre from Sprint and Palm Pre Plus from Verizon. This is what I did:

1. Remove radio board from Palm Pre
    2. Replace radio board in Palm Pre Plus
    3. Created a meta-doctor removing both carrier check and model check
    4. Flashed the device
    5. Moved the Sprint ipk's over to the phone and installed them

Right now I'm dealing with issues with certain items on the app store not being available for a Sprint 2.4 configuration but that's the least hard part to fix.

Note: unlike changing the ESN, this is not illegal but will void your warranty on both devices.
    Archite's not fibbing. I can vouch for his methodology. As Toni Cipriani noted, I've dissassembled and reassembled a few Pre's using fixit.com's CDMA teardown and reassembly tutorial for the Sprint CDMA Pre as my guide.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Palm-Pre-Teardown/809/1

I disassembled and reassembled a Movistar Spain GSM Pre (it's got a EU GSM/3G comm board inside), a Telcel Mexico GSM Pre (it's got a NA GSM/3G comm board inside), and a Sprint USA CDMA Pre (it's got, you guessed it, a CDMA comm board inside). I've also taken a good look inside a Verizon Pre Plus and can validate that the comm boards used for the Pre and the Pre Plus are interchangable.

Although the GSM and CDMA comm boards utilize completely different communication technologies, for the purpose of this discussion, all that's important for us to note is the ESN/MEID (for CDMA devices) or the IMEI (for GSM devices) is stored in ROM located on the comm board. If the device is a GSM model, the SIM card slot is located on this same board. Some prefer to refer to this board as the modem board or the radio board, and each is valid for reference purposes).

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Why would you go through all the trouble? If you have a Sprint Pre, I believe you should be able to take its ESN, and use QPST to write that to the Verizon Pre Plus. As long as the ESN is clean in Sprint's system, that should be good. You'd also need both phones' MSLs.

I think it'd probably require a few more steps in there that I'm overlooking (maybe modifying data settings, or flashing the Sprint PRL), but you shouldn't need to switch the phone radio boards.
    Take it from one who knows first hand, swapping the radio boards on a Pre or Pre Plus isn't very difficult. Furthermore, it's not against the law to swap or replace hardware. If you happen to be mechanically inclined, and are willing to void the warrantys of both devices, its a doable process.

Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    How hard would it be to just swap out the RAM/ROM? Bit of soldering of course but I've never seen the board so I don't know how bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    I don't know how the Pre or Pixi are setup, but electronics have Controller-Chips that know how much memory they have to access. So it's not as easy to upgrade the memory like that.
    What the2ndflood say's is true, and the Pre/Pre Plus memory (RAM/ROM) is located on the main board of the device ... you don't want to go there!!!
    TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 04/30/2010 at 03:41 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Just out of curiosity, why would you flash the Sprint ipks separately? Wouldn't you just use meta-doctor on the Sprint webOS Doctor and then it'd install them manually?
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    Is the Verizon Pre Plus noticeably better then the Sprint Pre? I know the Pre Plus has more memory; which I wish I had more memory on my Sprint Pre, because all of the games on my phone have left barely any free space. Overall though, is the Pre Plus better?
    It not only has more flash memory but twice the RAM. Aka you can have more things open without the Too Many Cards error.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsmiley View Post
    Won't flash just make it so every website will be crawling with annoying pop up and forced scrolling ads and noises. I'd like flash, but it better come bundled with some user controles.
    The Flash Beta for the Pre shows that flash objects won't be load until you click them. So no you won't have problems with anoying ads.
    Motorola i95cl> i733> i760> i860> i880> ic902> Palm Pre> HTC EVO4G> atrix 4g> unlocked gsm pre 2
    considering chrome includes flash built it, i'm sure adobe wants to thank google.
    Just saw this posted! Looks like Android will get Flash before the Pre. It says Android to get Flash in June

Confirmed: Flash Coming to Android Phones in June | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

RATS
    hopefully webOS won't be far behind...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    To be expected given the amount of Android users out there. They can be our beta testers.

Don't know about you but I can wait until a bug free version of Flash arrives.
    I don't care about Flash so much as hulu.com and a couple of services that require Flash DRM. I read somewhere that someone is developing an app or service that will essentially transcode flash content on the phone so it can be seen on the iPhone without direct flash support. I wish I could remember where I read that (probably Gizmodo).

So, are there any developers in our homebrew community that could create such an app (browser plug-in?) that could transcode flash to h.264 on the handset?

I know it wouldn't help for people wanting access to flash games, but perhaps it could at least cover the video content...

is this an [app request] that is technically possible with APIs available currently or near-term? I bet that app would be a bestseller!
    Will WebOS ever gonna have Flash???
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantin.neo View Post
    Will WebOS ever gonna have Flash???
    Dude I got flash about 3 months after launch, just like they said i would.....
    Your adobe, you have this choice to make:

device with millions sold, or device with 1 million sold

device backed by google who's backing flash in their web browser(chrome has or will have flash built in). Device backed by palm...

It's the obvious choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't care about Flash so much as hulu.com and a couple of services that require Flash DRM. I read somewhere that someone is developing an app or service that will essentially transcode flash content on the phone so it can be seen on the iPhone without direct flash support. I wish I could remember where I read that (probably Gizmodo).

So, are there any developers in our homebrew community that could create such an app (browser plug-in?) that could transcode flash to h.264 on the handset?

I know it wouldn't help for people wanting access to flash games, but perhaps it could at least cover the video content...

is this an [app request] that is technically possible with APIs available currently or near-term? I bet that app would be a bestseller!
    Hulu cleverly blocks all mobile devices (to include even many tv set-top boxes [like the ps3]). Don't expect to see Hulu on the phone when flash arrives. It has however, been leaked that Hulu is creating an iPhone/iPad and Android app. So we'll see.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    This sucks... But I kinda saw it coming. Makes sense
    The article never said when WebOS is getting Flash. You are making an assumption when you say it is going to be sooner than WebOS.
    I think Android and webOS will get it at the same time, IMHO.
    Nexus One has flash, but not the Droid -_-
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    I just ran across this tidbit regarding Flash

Adobe shows off Flash on Android
    Sod off Apple
    By Nick Farrell
    Wed May 05 2010, 10:18

THE SOFTWARE HOUSE Adobe has fought back at Apple's crusade against it by showing off what Flash can do on a rival to the Ipad, an Android based tablet from Google.

While Apple has banned its customers from using Flash. Adobe was showing punters at the Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco what Flash looked like on upcoming Android-based tablets.

The Google Android Tablet, even in a pre-release form, can manage applications and features based on Adobe's Flash and Air codes.

According to videos from the expo, posted on Zedomax, the Android multi-touch tablet was running a beta version of a Wired app and Flash on Youtube. The tablet is said to run Flash and Air "flawlessly," without any of the performance issues that Job's Mob claims break Apple's expensive gadgets.

An Adobe representative told the world plus dog that there will be shedloads of Android-based tablets arriving on the market by the end of the year. The company also expects Flash to be supported on certain Android smartphones sometime this summer. Ķ
    I am losing my mind at an alarming rate . . . Actually, I'm not really alarmed at all.
    This blog saying Adobe told them flash will be available on Palm's "next update, in a week or two". Perhaps someone can call Adobe/Palm to confirm?

Palm Pre Flash Player!